Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #5,776 of 7,998
@cradon Traillii + Centurion user here and I definitely hear more sparkle and energy up top compared to the First Time cable. Mids also have a very high degree of clarity, but not as dense and lush as FT. In the bass region, I generally agree with Twister’s review where Centurion is a slightly quicker decay and Orpheus (and FT) have a slower and more natural decay. Honestly though, I have a hard time recommending a $4,000 cable for slight changes. Then again, if you love Traillii (I do) then it was okay to be “done” in a sense. Similar to @toaster with Traillii + Orpheus for his preferences.

Doesn’t hurt that fit and build quality is outstanding either.

-Collin-

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #5,777 of 7,998
@cradon Traillii + Centurion user here and I definitely hear more sparkle and energy up top compared to the First Time cable. Mids also have a very high degree of clarity, but not as dense and lush as FT. In the bass region, I generally agree with Twister’s review where Centurion is a slightly quicker decay and Orpheus (and FT) have a slower and more natural decay. Honestly though, I have a hard time recommending a $4,000 cable for slight changes. Then again, if you love Traillii (I do) then it was okay to be “done” in a sense. Similar to @toaster with Traillii + Orpheus for his preferences.

-Collin-
There ya go…centurion rec for the bird from a centurion user who’s also heard orphy and ft.

And yes, I agree with @SeeSax that it’s difficult to wholeheartedly recommend a $4-5k cable…however, if you feel that the traillii is as good as I do, then the idea of fine-tuning it as much as possible to your liking is at least understandable.

For those who are considering the orphy for the bird, and who are looking for more lush vocals and mids, and a more detailed and refined sound, I can’t recommend it enough.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #5,778 of 7,998
There ya go…centurion rec for the bird from a centurion user who’s also heard orphy and ft.

And yes, I agree with @SeeSax that it’s difficult to wholeheartedly recommend a $4-5k cable…however, if you feel that the traillii is as good as I do, then the idea of fine-tuning it as much as possible to your liking is at least understandable.

For those who are considering the orphy for the bird, and who are looking for more lush vocals and mids, and a more detailed and refined sound, I can’t recommend it enough.
Ditto mostly. Though, it also depends on the type of music you listen to. Orpheus is generally preferred, not always and not because it’s better, just a personal bias, over Centurion on the Traillii. Sometimes the brighter, pacier/energetic sound of Centurion is more suitable to a particular track or genre, than the full, lush sound of Orpheus. I’ve not heard the First Times cable, but according to Peter, it’s tuned more for 'pop' music. And since 'pop' is pretty wide in terms of sound, I’m not sure where the bracket should sit exactly; all I can say (for me) is — Classical and Jazz, stick to the Orpheus.

Closing note, cables are pretty low on the audio chain if you are seeking SQ improvements, I didn’t believe so much in the past but can attest to that from recent experience with the Trailli, which I find myself listening to more with the 1960 it came with than all my other 'higher rated' cables. Synergy? Who knows. Just mind your DAC, AMP and Source in no particular order, they are all important, and you will be amply rewarded with the Bird… on any decent cable.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #5,779 of 7,998

-Collin-
To my ears, both the First Times and Centurion are excellent matches with the Trailli but I did find the Centurion highs become a little fatiguing after a while and I prefer the ‘lushness’ of the First Times sound generally, so, whilst both are preferred over the ‘stock’ PW1960s, my preferred pairing would be the First Times (which is currently attached to my Trailli).

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5,780 of 7,998
I follow the cable rolling with interest, because in general for me the sound of the Bird is also a little less bright. I would like a little more air and attention on the trebles.
Also, maybe someone has experience in selecting tips that could direct the sound in this vector? Now I use stock.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #5,781 of 7,998
I follow the cable rolling with interest, because in general for me the sound of the Bird is also a little less bright. I would like a little more air and attention on the trebles.
Also, maybe someone has experience in selecting tips that could direct the sound in this vector? Now I use stock.
I feel the exact opposite, heh.

I am just sensitive to estats.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #5,782 of 7,998
Good point.

Spinfit Cp155 have been amazing for adding warmth and actually cutting some edge off the estat treble (which I am sensitive to in general.)
This is exactly what I want to do with Traillii and so I’m going to order some Spinfit Cp155. Thanks for posting that info.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #5,783 of 7,998
This is exactly what I want to do with Traillii and so I’m going to order some Spinfit Cp155. Thanks for posting that info.
The opening of the stock bird bores is wide open, and the tips are quite short. This doesn’t leave much space or…anything…between your ears and the estats.

The 155s are long and a bit concave, so they add space and narrow the bore opening.

The sonic impact is added warmth and a smoother attack from the estats.

A18723FD-F2CD-42B3-A4AF-440E78CBCA14.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #5,784 of 7,998
I actually prefer its treble to all others I have heard. Everyone has a preference.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5,786 of 7,998
With all the praise for PWA FT (orpheus) as cable for the Trailli, which version of the FS do you guys prefer, shielded of non-shielded version of the FS?
And for which reason? I am interested in knowing in which way the shielding might influence Trailli's sound characteristic.
Thanks in advance.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #5,787 of 7,998
I would recommend the non-shielded version just because of the comfort.
I have the non-shielded version of the Orpheus which is really comfortable; on the other hand other head-fier were saying that the shielded version was really heavy.
And sound wise I'm not sure I'll be able to hear a difference between shielded and not shielded :) Did anyone was able to compare?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #5,788 of 7,998
I would recommend the non-shielded version just because of the comfort.
I have the non-shielded version of the Orpheus which is really comfortable; on the other hand other head-fier were saying that the shielded version was really heavy.
And sound wise I'm not sure I'll be able to hear a difference between shielded and not shielded :) Did anyone was able to compare?
The shielding version of Orpheus is heavier than non-shielding, and other cables, but very usable, no discomfort whatsoever. Main difference between the shielding and non-shielding version is the all black noise floor of the shielding version over the non-shielding.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #5,789 of 7,998
Recently got the bird. I'm in the process of tip rolling to find better fit as the stock was not fit right. I cannot wear it longer than 30 minutes without feeling vacuum seal. I have parse through this gigantic thread for tip suggestion. It seems there are so many of them. Anyone has any suggestion on the best fit tip to try?

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #5,790 of 7,998
Recently got the bird. I'm in the process of tip rolling to find better fit as the stock was not fit right. I cannot wear it longer than 30 minutes without feeling vacuum seal. I have parse through this gigantic thread for tip suggestion. It seems there are so many of them. Anyone has any suggestion on the best fit tip to try?
Azla Sedna light shorts

From my experience it doesn’t need a deep insertion and because of the shallow shaft/larger bore size a larger iem was necessary for me.
YMMV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back