Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #3,151 of 8,052
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the FlockHouse!

I haven’t tried the AKA adapter but was just on this boat trying to determine which adapter to get. First, I’ll share what PWA sent via Andrew from Musicteck (translated from Chinese to English) about the limited editions, and then the 1960:

-Autumn, balance, sweet voice
-Winter, high analytical power, more suitable for musical instruments
-In spring, the middle and low frequencies are very good, the dynamics are strong, and the vocals are emotional

2. 1960s is more comprehensive, the sound field is vast, the vocals are slightly sweet and emotional, the analysis power is high, and the background is black

I initially considered Spring but remembered how smooth the 1960 cable is for treble and went with the 1960s and have absolutely no regrets. Pitch black background, excellent clarity and refined sound. It’s technical but still very full and enjoyable.
Really appreciate your inputs! helped a lot. Probably I'll go for the 1960 adapter as well, makes sense to stick with the same material as the cable for the adapter.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #3,152 of 8,052
ABB4A6D1-6250-4493-8BF7-802384C4BEB5.jpeg
Testament to my poor and lazy photo-taking skills, this is a photo of the wood-themed faceplate. Although I was too late to convey to Andrew a possible change in faceplate design after I placed my order, I do like this very much. As a bass head, I’d prefer more bass in the Traillii, but that’s where the Thummim can fill my bass desires haha. One word that comes to my mind is how Traillii is like butter, detail retrieval is effortless.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #3,153 of 8,052
BGGAR just posted a video about the Traillii. He liked it especially anything that had vocals in it. CONS for him: BA Bass (for his hip hop & rap library)
Here the direct link:
He liked it for its tonality, as mentioned by tgx78 especially vocals. But he also thought it lacks a revolutionary aspect at its sky high price point. I like his reviews, he doesn’t lecture. If you have money, get it. If not, get something else. Works for me.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #3,154 of 8,052
Here the direct link:
He liked it for its tonality, as mentioned by tgx78 especially vocals. But he also thought it lacks a revolutionary aspect at its sky high price point. I like his reviews, he doesn’t lecture. If you have money, get it. If not, get something else. Works for me.

I get what he's saying, and I've heard it said by a few people in this and other threads.

Personally I think he misses the point (or at least doesn't see it the same way I do), because in saying that it just sounds 'right', he underplays what Traillii is all about, and how rare that actually is. For me, it's what makes the Bird (and another IEM I'm currently reviewing, the IE900) 'revolutionary'.

When was the last time we saw a TOTL flagship (price aside for a minute), that does everything right, at the highest level, with all the technicalities in place, yet without ever taking the focus off the music? Perfect balance, perfect tuning. Not wonky or fun or wow or 'watch this', just making the gear dissapear in a sense.

I think somewhere along the line of trying to be better/bigger/bolder/different, trying to be 'revolutionary', we've lost sight of the fundamentals of kicking back and connecting with the music at a very human level.

Just my 0.02, and just one perspective. Very good review actually, by BGGAR standards.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #3,155 of 8,052
I get what he's saying, and I've heard it said by a few people in this and other threads.

Personally I think he misses the point (or at least doesn't see it the same way I do), because in saying that it just sounds 'right', he underplays what Traillii is all about, and how rare that actually is. For me, it's what makes the Bird (and another IEM I'm currently reviewing, the IE900) 'revolutionary'.

When was the last time we saw a TOTL flagship (price aside for a minute), that does everything right, at the highest level, with all the technicalities in place, yet without ever taking the focus off the music? Perfect balance, perfect tuning. Not wonky or fun or wow or 'watch this', just making the gear dissapear in a sense.

I think somewhere along the line of trying to be better/bigger/bolder/different, trying to be 'revolutionary', we've lost sight of the fundamentals of kicking back and connecting with the music at a very human level.

Just my 0.02, and just one perspective. Very good review actually, by BGGAR standards.
Interested in your findings of IE900 once you are done with the review - is it like a very affordable Traillii - light?

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,156 of 8,052
Testament to my poor and lazy photo-taking skills, this is a photo of the wood-themed faceplate. Although I was too late to convey to Andrew a possible change in faceplate design after I placed my order, I do like this very much. As a bass head, I’d prefer more bass in the Traillii, but that’s where the Thummim can fill my bass desires haha. One word that comes to my mind is how Traillii is like butter, detail retrieval is effortless.
Nice to see a different face plate flavor, I find it's looking decent natural.
Am also interested in your findings for synergies like with your recently acquired M8 and Rock/Metal music

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #3,157 of 8,052
Interested in your findings of IE900 once you are done with the review - is it like a very affordable Traillii - light?
I think they're tuned slightly differently but achieve a very similar objective. I probably won't get to compare the IE900 directly with Traillii before the full review is done, but I'll come back here with my AB comparison when I get to hear the Bird again in mid-July.

I think one aspect of the IE900 that bests the Bird for me and that's the bass response. Not just because it's a DD (which helps) but the way it's been tuned and presented. Again, that's going only from memory, but I'll be back when I've heard them side by side.

My gut feel is that you're paying a significant premium for the Bird, but if the extra technical nuous and summit-fi cable are important to you, then it's not a stretch to justify the cost, assuming it's within the budget.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #3,158 of 8,052
ABB4A6D1-6250-4493-8BF7-802384C4BEB5.jpegTestament to my poor and lazy photo-taking skills, this is a photo of the wood-themed faceplate. Although I was too late to convey to Andrew a possible change in faceplate design after I placed my order, I do like this very much. As a bass head, I’d prefer more bass in the Traillii, but that’s where the Thummim can fill my bass desires haha. One word that comes to my mind is how Traillii is like butter, detail retrieval is effortless.
Like the look, understated, simple, classy.
Feel the same in regards to Thummim and the Bird nesting together.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #3,159 of 8,052

imo you could say that about almost everything on this website; and the connection doesn't have to cost $6,000 ... maybe that's why the ie900 is such a hit to you... kudos

on the other hand ......"sky giant" by transglobal underground (natacha version) can send me into a trance like state on most audio kit ...

but it is most sublime on the most expensive equipment i own.... :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,160 of 8,052
imo you could say that about almost everything on this website; and the connection doesn't have to cost $6,000 ... maybe that's why the ie900 is such a hit to you... kudos
I agree, it doesn't have to cost $6000, but I did make a point that IF you can afford it and IF that extra squeeze of performance and accessories is worth it to you, then the Bird makes sense. But yes, the IE900 is changing how I look at/use audio gear, for the better I think.

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #3,161 of 8,052
I agree, it doesn't have to cost $6000, but I did make a point that IF you can afford it and IF that extra squeeze of performance and accessories is worth it to you, then the Bird makes sense. But yes, the IE900 is changing how I look at/use audio gear, for the better I think.

yes - totally agree - just edited my post b4 i read this..... it's tricky :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #3,163 of 8,052
BGGAR missed so so many things about the Traillii. Not a bad review, it wasn’t misleading by any means but it lacked a lot about the birds character or secret sauce.
True, but that's BGGAR. He doesn't dig deep into the essence of an IEM. All he cares about is how it plays his very limited hip hop and classic rock library.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,164 of 8,052
Nice to see a different face plate flavor, I find it's looking decent natural.
Am also interested in your findings for synergies like with your recently acquired M8 and Rock/Metal music
I’ll be happy to post my 2 cents when I receive my replacement M8 unit (previous one was defective) from Andrew. What I seem to hear notably from Traillii is its mids, something which I don’t seem to get from Thummim, though the bass is a few shades less than the latter. I think Thummim is better for certain types of rock/metal music that I listen to. I use the heaviest bass setting of my Erlk, and its technical prowess is comparable to the Bird, but it just feels effortless with the Bird. This is so far my impressions based off DX300 and LGPT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back