Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 17, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,516 of 7,998
Hmm... first world problems.
You really love your bird.
Would you take her on a 4 hour flight x 2 ..... or would you leave her at home?

I suppose I could always pack the Utopia or the Campfire Andromeda 2020
Take it! This is why we have IEM’s, for portability. Enjoy them, but don’t leave them alone.

May 17, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,518 of 7,998
I still don't understand what the heck Oriolus have done technically to somehow get so far ahead of everyone else. Anyone can point me to anything?
Ha, for the actual science part I have no idea. But that's why I don't buy the whole "this will seep into cheaper models" anytime soon because we already mostly have those models-Odin (in terms of depth/layering), Z1R (similar'ish sound signature in some regards). In other words, we have other IEMs that either have this safer tuning but don't touch the technicalities, or somewhat close in technicalities but don't touch the musicality- and if they continue to price according to technical performance versus others in similar price brackets, I don't see the marketing shifting much.

But from a psychoacoustic element, they got the tuning down the bone in terms of a slight U/almost W-shape. By having such a large, precise stage with layers, they added enough wetness into the laid-back mids so that vocals and instruments can still captivate you. The bass...defies typical BA texture obstacles, and the electrostats are just clearly optimized better than any I have heard up to date (Thummim and Odin as the immediate tier below). There's also no doubt that the 1960 4w cable synergizes very well to bring out the best in the bass and treble, while maintaining the depth capabilities for the mids to sit back effectively.

But yeah, someone should break their Traillii apart for "scientific research". Lol

May 17, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,519 of 7,998
Ha, for the actual science part I have no idea. But that's why I don't buy the whole "this will seep into cheaper models" anytime soon because we already mostly have those models-Odin (in terms of depth/layering), Z1R (similar'ish sound signature in some regards). In other words, we have other IEMs that either have this safer tuning but don't touch the technicalities, or somewhat close in technicalities but don't touch the musicality- and if they continue to price according to technical performance versus others in similar price brackets, I don't see the marketing shifting much.

But from a psychoacoustic element, they got the tuning down the bone in terms of a slight U/almost W-shape. By having such a large, precise stage with layers, they added enough wetness into the laid-back mids so that vocals and instruments can still captivate you. The bass...defies typical BA texture obstacles, and the electrostats are just clearly optimized better than any I have heard up to date (Thummim and Odin as the immediate tier below). There's also no doubt that the 1960 4w cable synergizes very well to bring out the best in the bass and treble, while maintaining the depth capabilities for the mids to sit back effectively.

But yeah, someone should break their Traillii apart for "scientific research". Lol
For all we know, these other companies may know exactly how to do it... maybe the cost and difficulty to do so steered them back into the more mass produced business model.

Maybe Oriolus opened other manufacturers eyes. That’s why I don’t see the cost coming down anytime soon.

May 17, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,520 of 7,998
For all we know, these other companies may know exactly how to do it... maybe the cost and difficulty to do so steered them back into the more mass produced business model.

Maybe Oriolus opened other manufacturers eyes. That’s why I don’t see the cost coming down anytime soon.
Yeah, and look-I haven’t heard FS (yet, hopefully next week) but seeing just lukewarm initial impressions is a good thing because it should give manufacturers a double-look when trying to make $6k IEMs more normative. I know some people care about stuff like rare materials, but I’m not paying top dollar for a shell made from an asteroid or an unproven technology (unless successful)-SQ (and comfort) is first and last priority for me, always lol

But exciting times man. R2R streaming DAPs, super competitive dongles, etc.

May 17, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,521 of 7,998
Yeah, and look-I haven’t heard FS (yet, hopefully next week) but seeing just lukewarm initial impressions is a good thing because it should give manufacturers a double-look when trying to make $6k IEMs more normative. I know some people care about stuff like rare materials, but I’m not paying top dollar for a shell made from an asteroid or an unproven technology (unless successful)-SQ (and comfort) is first and last priority for me, always lol

You’re damn right. I also shouldn’t need to spend 6k on an IEM if it demands a 3k dap to sound good. I run my Traillii right out of my iPhone to S1 dongle and it still destroys. Even using Apple music!

May 17, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,522 of 7,998
You’re damn right. I also shouldn’t need to spend 6k on an IEM if it demands a 3k dap to sound good. I run my Traillii right out of my iPhone to S1 dongle and it still destroys. Even using Apple music!
Apple music is going hifi too... Any day now I believe.

May 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,523 of 7,998

Ding ding ding..I can't see them when they are in my ears. Fine with acrylic, just shopping for SQ not aesthetic.

May 17, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,526 of 7,998
Get that W2! The subbass is unreal

May 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #1,527 of 7,998
Well any way, for as long as it lasts the Traillii is special and one of a kind.

Now that I have this bug and curiousness for what can be achieved, keeping an open mind.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #1,529 of 7,998
Apple music is going hifi too... Any day now I believe.

and I just got notification from Amazon, probably triggered by Apple announcement, that I no longer have to pay extra for HD service.

May 17, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #1,530 of 7,998
and I just got notification from Amazon, probably triggered by Apple announcement, that I no longer have to pay extra for HD service.
Now we just need to wait for Spotify. :grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back