Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #781 of 8,026
Over the last couple of days, I had the privilege of testing two of Lotoo’s TOTL DAPs side-by-side: the LPGT and LPGT Ti.

These 2 daps were loaned to me by Andrew @MusicTeck.

When I purchased the Traillii from Andrew a few months ago, he provided top-notch customer service; even hand-delivering the bird to me when he was near my apartment. Since then, I’ve been interested in other stuff Andrew has (he carries a lot of awesome audio gear,) and he is always quick to respond, knowledgeable, and exceedingly friendly. I’m not fond of shilling products, but I’ll shill good service all day, everyday because it’s quite rare to find…thanks, Andrew.

So, without further ado, here’s my quick take on Lotoo’s LPGT and Ti with the Traillii!

Lotoo is known by many for its world-class reference sound, and after listening to both of these DAPs, I now know why. While both are undeniably great, I do have a favorite.

Both the LPGT and Ti have very slick interfaces: menus aren’t flashy, but both players are quick to load up, easy to use and navigate, and relatively intuitive overall. There’s also a nifty search function, accessible with a simple swipe down from the top of the screen. I didn’t know about this at first, but once I discovered it, it became second nature to access and seamlessly search for a specific song or artist.

The build of both players is incredibly solid and high-end; they each feel fantastic in the hand, albeit slightly chunky, but nothing crazy. Depending on how stylish you are (i.e. how tightly you wear your jeans,) the LPGT or Ti are technically pocketable, but they won't just slide in there like your phone. That said, I had no issues with holding or using either device with one hand. The Ti is noticeably heavier, coming in at a not insignificant 50+ grams more than the LPGT. The Ti tips the scales at 365 grams vs. the less weighty LPGT, which weighs just 311 grams. Whichever you choose, overall dimensions are identical, and the biggest difference from a build standpoint besides the weight, is that the Ti is a dark grey (it’s made of Ti, after all) and the LPGT is a slightly less cool-looking shade of black. And of course, both have the trademark Lotoo horizontal gold volume wheel up-top. Regardless of which one you choose, your interaction with either device will no doubt provide a similar high-end user experience both from a tactile and functionality perspective.

Now let’s get to the good stuff, sound.

The main thing I knew about Lotoo before listening to either player, was that Lotoo is known for its reference and neutral sound. After listening to the Traillii off the LPGT, I can only say that it is the most detailed and realistic sound I’ve ever heard from any non-speaker setup. Just the bird and the LPGT…that’s it. It’s hard to imagine things getting better, but if they can…bring it on.

For me, the LPGT strikingly and unquestionably lives up to its reputation in delivering a world-class, reference sound...the best I’ve heard to date. Staging is utterly massive on the traillii, (the biggest I’ve heard from the bird so far by a substantial margin,) and the sound is shockingly detailed, realistic, lifelike, and holographic. It is somehow a step above every other interpretation of “reference” sound I’ve heard so far, which really wows me.

I listened to orchestral music, some Dr. Chesky binaural recordings (wow), acoustic, jazz…everything sounded more real than I’ve ever heard from an iem setup before. From what I experienced with the lighter Lotoo, I feel its ultimate goal is to make you feel like you’re in the recording environment, hearing an utterly pure and unfiltered version of what happened during the capture. I say this, knowing that it is a wildly overused cliche. The difference in this case, however, is that I honestly feel like I’m using the expression less as a cliche, and more as an accurate way to describe what I hear…or maybe I’m just drawing out the cliche…but I really don’t think so…oh well.

With the LPGT > Bird combo, I feel I am hearing an ultra-totl synergy that I’ve simply never experienced before, and it is marvelous.

Despite the virtual obligation to first and foremost describe the LPGT’s sound as reference and neutral, which it very much is, the LPGT creates a similarly persuasive case that it is equally musical, engaging and exciting. In fact, for me it ranks as the most exciting, uncolored sound I’ve ever heard. Truly impressive.

So, that’s how I feel about the LPGT, what about the Ti?

Here’s where I’m sort of at a loss…when I listen to the LPGT, I hear a perfectly balanced, neutral, and utterly real-sounding portrayal of the music. With the Ti, it seems to me as if Lotoo is trying to create a "colored-neutral" version of the beloved tuning from the original LPGT; pushing vocals a bit closer, and ever-so-slightly boosting upper mids and treble. For some, this may be precisely what they're after: a slightly more energetic and forward version of the original LGPT sound.

For me, however, I feel that the tuning of the LPGT is damn near perfect. Each time I listened to the Ti, I couldn’t help but feel like the LPGT was beckoning me back with its impeccably fine-tuned balance and sense of realism. The takeaway being that if you’re looking for a sound that is slightly more energetic than reference, with a bit more pronounced vocals, and slightly more forward upper mids, and treble, the Ti may be the better choice.

In the end both of these players sound similarly stunning, but for me, I prefer the LPGT for its shocking purity, neutrality, staging, and utter sense of realism.

Bravo(o) Lotoo.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #782 of 8,026
Over the last couple of days, I had the privilege of testing two of Lotoo’s TOTL DAPs side-by-side: the LPGT and LPGT Ti.

These 2 daps were loaned to me by Andrew @MusicTeck.

When I purchased the Traillii from Andrew a few months ago, he provided top-notch customer service; even hand-delivering the bird to me when he was near my apartment. Since then, I’ve been interested in other stuff Andrew has (he carries a lot of awesome audio gear,) and he is always quick to respond, knowledgeable, and exceedingly friendly. I’m not fond of shilling products, but I’ll shill good service all day, everyday because it’s quite rare to find…thanks, Andrew.

So, without further ado, here’s my quick take on Lotoo’s LPGT and Ti with the Traillii!

Lotoo is known by many for its world-class reference sound, and after listening to both of these DAPs, I now know why. While both are undeniably great, I do have a favorite.

Both the LPGT and Ti have very slick interfaces: menus aren’t flashy, but both players are quick to load up, easy to use and navigate, and relatively intuitive overall. There’s also a nifty search function, accessible with a simple swipe down from the top of the screen. I didn’t know about this at first, but once I discovered it, it became second nature to access and seamlessly search for a specific song or artist.

The build of both players is incredibly solid and high-end; they each feel fantastic in the hand, albeit slightly chunky, but nothing crazy. Depending on how stylish you are (i.e. how tightly you wear your jeans,) the LPGT or Ti are technically pocketable, but they won't just slide in there like your phone. That said, I had no issues with holding or using either device with one hand. The Ti is noticeably heavier, coming in at a not insignificant 50+ grams more than the LPGT. The Ti tips the scales at 365 grams vs. the less weighty LPGT, which weighs just 311 grams. Whichever you choose, overall dimensions are identical, and the biggest difference from a build standpoint besides the weight, is that the Ti is a dark grey (it’s made of Ti, after all) and the LPGT is a slightly less cool-looking shade of black. And of course, both have the trademark Lotoo horizontal gold volume wheel up-top. Regardless of which one you choose, your interaction with either device will no doubt provide a similar high-end user experience both from a tactile and functionality perspective.

Now let’s get to the good stuff, sound.

The main thing I knew about Lotoo before listening to either player, was that Lotoo is known for its reference and neutral sound. After listening to the Traillii off the LPGT, I can only say that it is the most detailed and realistic sound I’ve ever heard from any non-speaker setup. Just the bird and the LPGT…that’s it. It’s hard to imagine things getting better, but if they can…bring it on.

For me, the LPGT strikingly and unquestionably lives up to its reputation in delivering a world-class, reference sound...the best I’ve heard to date. Staging is utterly massive on the traillii, (the biggest I’ve heard from the bird so far by a substantial margin,) and the sound is shockingly detailed, realistic, lifelike, and holographic. It is somehow a step above every other interpretation of “reference” sound I’ve heard so far, which really wows me.

I listened to orchestral music, some Dr. Chesky binaural recordings (wow), acoustic, jazz…everything sounded more real than I’ve ever heard from an iem setup before. From what I experienced with the lighter Lotoo, I feel its ultimate goal is to make you feel like you’re in the recording environment, hearing an utterly pure and unfiltered version of what happened during the capture. I say this, knowing that it is a wildly overused cliche. The difference in this case, however, is that I honestly feel like I’m using the expression less as a cliche, and more as an accurate way to describe what I hear…or maybe I’m just drawing out the cliche…but I really don’t think so…oh well.

With the LPGT > Bird combo, I feel I am hearing an ultra-totl synergy that I’ve simply never experienced before, and it is marvelous.

Despite the virtual obligation to first and foremost describe the LPGT’s sound as reference and neutral, which it very much is, the LPGT creates a similarly persuasive case that it is equally musical, engaging and exciting. In fact, for me it ranks as the most exciting, uncolored sound I’ve ever heard. Truly impressive.

So, that’s how I feel about the LPGT, what about the Ti?

Here’s where I’m sort of at a loss…when I listen to the LPGT, I hear a perfectly balanced, neutral, and utterly real-sounding portrayal of the music. With the Ti, it seems to me as if Lotoo is trying to create a "colored-neutral" version of the beloved tuning from the original LPGT; pushing vocals a bit closer, and ever-so-slightly boosting upper mids and treble. For some, this may be precisely what they're after: a slightly more energetic and forward version of the original LGPT sound.

For me, however, I feel that the tuning of the LPGT is damn near perfect. Each time I listened to the Ti, I couldn’t help but feel like the LPGT was beckoning me back with its impeccably fine-tuned balance and sense of realism. The takeaway being that if you’re looking for a sound that is slightly more energetic than reference, with a bit more pronounced vocals, and slightly more forward upper mids, and treble, the Ti may be the better choice.

In the end both of these players sound similarly stunning, but for me, I prefer the LPGT for its shocking purity, neutrality, staging, and utter sense of realism.

Bravo(o) Lotoo.

@twister6 comparison sum it very well here: https://twister6.com/2021/02/02/in-a-snapshot-lotoo-lpgt-vs-lpgt-ti/

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #783 of 8,026

I had Ti on loan for a week, and at the time of the review in A/B comparison with original stock eartips preferred Ti with a bird. But afterwards while back to using it with LPGT OG, tbh, I don't have that feeling like something is missing. Either one will pair up great with a birdie depending on your preference. If you want a more laidback smoother sound, go with a more neutrally-tuned LPGT. If you want more revealing sound with a little more treble energy, go with Ti.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #784 of 8,026
I had Ti on loan for a week, and at the time of the review in A/B comparison with original stock eartips preferred Ti with a bird. But afterwards while back to using it with LPGT OG, tbh, I don't have that feeling like something is missing. Either one will pair up great with a birdie depending on your preference. If you want a more laidback smoother sound, go with a more neutrally-tuned LPGT. If you want more revealing sound with a little more treble energy, go with Ti.
bingo...my takeaway as well, on cp155 tips, however.

lpgt + bird is my favorite overall iem sound I've heard to date.

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #785 of 8,026
Your review is great!
Thanks for taking the time.
only question i have is:
Why? Why making my life more difficult?! 🤯
Now im lost, i want 4 different players🥴

if you had to pair a C9 would you do it with an lpgt? P6pro? Or Mii / m8 / r8 etc..
I am also thinking about the future

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #786 of 8,026
Your review is great!
Thanks for taking the time.
only question i have is:
Why? Why making my life more difficult?! 🤯
Now im lost, i want 4 different players🥴

if you had to pair a C9 would you do it with an lpgt? P6pro? Or Mii / m8 / r8 etc..
I am also thinking about the future
If I may, let me ask a simple question first: How much do you want your DAP to do native streaming?

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #787 of 8,026
If I may, let me ask a simple question first: How much do you want your DAP to do native streaming?

it is important, sound is always more, bit if the difference is not “day and night” or just “slightly” better. streaming and good OS is preferred. However, if there is a device where its sound is substantial better and not streaming in-would choose it.

i just need to highlight:
My kind of music is:

Rock
Edm
Techno
POP
Oldies
Some classic here and there. (Not top 4)

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #788 of 8,026
it is important, sound is always more, bit if the difference is not “day and night” or just “slightly” better. streaming and good OS is preferred. However, if there is a device where its sound is substantial better and not streaming in-would choose it.

i just need to highlight:
My kind of music is:

Rock
Edm
Techno
POP
Oldies
Some classic here and there. (Not top 4)
My intuition is that, as your first TOTL DAP, you will benefit from having one that has a user friendly UI and has no very obvious shortcoming. I thus propose to rule out P6 Pro for now. It is like the ultimate solution after you realize that SQ is everything you want and you can sacrifice lots of usability for it.

With this being said, you would probably want to choose between two DAPs, also based on the recent feedback from @toaster.

LPGT (non-Ti version) for best synergy with the bird and a very very good UI.

AKSP2000. Good sound with Traillii. Very flexible device with native streaming support.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #789 of 8,026
My intuition is that, as your first TOTL DAP, you will benefit from having one that has a user friendly UI and has no very obvious shortcoming. I thus propose to rule out P6 Pro for now. It is like the ultimate solution after you realize that SQ is everything you want and you can sacrifice lots of usability for it.

With this being said, you would probably want to choose between two DAPs, also based on the recent feedback from @toaster.

LPGT (non-Ti version) for best synergy with the bird and a very very good UI.

AKSP2000. Good sound with Traillii. Very flexible device with native streaming support.
Thanks gor the answer.
Which will be better suited for C9
LPGT, AKSP2000 or R8/M86ii

Sub base is important, many electronic production

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #790 of 8,026
Thanks gor the answer.

In terms of the pairing with C9, I think LPGT will be better than SP2000 for its line-out quality. Actually, the Cayin N6ii with A02 motherboard gives you the best line-out performance and pairs wonderfully with C9. However, it is an old DAP and due for an update very soon, so I wouldn't want to recommend the N6ii.

Tuning-wise, both LPGT and SP2000 are reference tuning. That is, if your recording has sub-bass, they will be able to deliver it. What they differ in is the sound signature. LPGT is more on the clarity side while SP2000 is a bit on the technical side, but I guess you will need to hear it to be able to know what these words mean to you.

I don't have M8 or R8 so couldn't comment on their SQ. I know many users to pair R8 with C9 and report very satisfactory results. Besides, R8 has the full Andriod system - it is basically an Andriod phone (without the calling function).

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #791 of 8,026
Thanks gor the answer.

My advice: for Cayin C9, Cayin's own team SPECIALLY engineered A02 board (N6ii) to work BEST with C9. If you want C9, then it's no brainer. Get N6ii with A02. I have used all three devices, I own R8 and used to own N6ii (if I knew about A02 board, I wouldn't have sold it lol). I had Lotoo as a loaner from Musicteck, so I have a good idea of how it works.

Android
  • R8 has fastest processors available and feels like smartphone. Excellent!
  • N6ii has modular boards, like A02. If you want Android and BEST MATCH sound quality for C9, Get N6ii WITH A02 board. No question. It doesn't have fast processor, but A02 was specially developed by Cayin for C9
Non-Android
  • Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, it is fastest DAP with 4.4mm output. There are many owners with Traillii that find Gold Touch the best combo.

TLDR: If you have ANY thoughts to get C9, get Cayin N6ii AND A02 Board. More options, more versatility. As @Whitigir says, C9+N6ii+A02 = DMP Z1 competition

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #792 of 8,026
In Jaben HK, the bird already priced at 52,800 or around USD 6,797. Nothing mentioned about anything new in package yet :airplane:
Untitled.jpg

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #793 of 8,026
Man.... the sound coming from this combo is something I didn’t even know was possible from an IEM setup. This.. is.. stunning. Can’t wait to see how much more this can scale with a better LO (Lotoo paw 6000 pictured)

CEC01477-589E-4402-9BE2-040AF47D8D17.jpeg

Absolutely absurd listening experience here. The C9 manages to open up the Traillii even more. Pure musical bliss.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #794 of 8,026
Man.... the sound coming from this combo is something I didn’t even know was possible from an IEM setup. This.. is.. stunning. Can’t wait to see how much more this can scale with a better LO (Lotoo paw 6000 pictured)

Absolutely absurd listening experience here. The C9 manages to open up the Traillii even more. Pure musical bliss.
Congrats! And soon this thread may be filled with C9 + Traillii users, me included. :smile:

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #795 of 8,026

BTW, we finally find a winner over Traillii: Traillii +C9. :wink: This is just a whole different experience than Traillii alone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back