Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 3, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #6,676 of 8,027
I'm curious about the Traillii MK2 rumor I've seen mentioned. The fact that Traillii is sold out at musicteck seems to be in line with something new being in the works. I doubt I'd be 'upgrading' though.. I love the Traillii and I'm not in the habit of spending >5k on an IEM.. 😊

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #6,677 of 8,027
I'm curious about the Traillii MK2 rumor I've seen mentioned. The fact that Traillii is sold out at musicteck seems to be in line with something new being in the works. I doubt I'd be 'upgrading' though.. I love the Traillii and I'm not in the habit of spending >5k on an IEM.. 😊
Since the Traillii is $ 6.6K price might even be more
Now if the OG Traillii is discontinued they might keep it around that price

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #6,678 of 8,027
I am not really interested in a Traillii mk2 either. It's about as perfect as you can get with that driver configuration. I would be more interested in something completely different from them.

On the other hand, I am much more interested in an Odin mk2. There is room for improvement there. I can see them adding a bone conduction driver, improve the tuning and offering it in a custom. That would be worth considering.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #6,680 of 8,027
I’d be curious about what they do next. Specifically, would any Trailli MK2 be BA based, or can/would they move to another config, such as DD (that request for more slam/DD type of bass texture seems to be the biggest/only request if anything from current owners of the Bird). Maybe if they can solve for that (without mucking up the balance/coherency across whole FR they have with current model), I’d be interested even though I’ve just come to own the current model.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #6,681 of 8,027
I’d be curious about what they do next. Specifically, would any Trailli MK2 be BA based, or can/would they move to another config, such as DD (that request for more slam/DD type of bass texture seems to be the biggest/only request if anything from current owners of the Bird). Maybe if they can solve for that (without mucking up the balance/coherency across whole FR they have with current model), I’d be interested even though I’ve just come to own the current model.
Jewel.

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #6,682 of 8,027
@HiFiHawaii808 I really respect your knowledge in these areas: I’ve really built my recent portable setup around starting from a core of Cayin N8ii and Trailli, and very happy with that path. But the journey continues for us all, lol! End goal currently for me is to find two, MAYBE three other TOTL iems to complement the Bird. Saw the discussion in the water cooler thread which was fantastic to list out the current prime candidates of iems that have respected and experienced listeners of headfi chiming in which was great. I’m looking for those two or three iems to add as well rounded compliments (not replacement) for the Trailli which is going to be my foundational all-rounder for probably the next couple of years. With that starting point, what would you recommend as possible considerations to give me something different from the Bird? Right now I’m focused on that desire for a little more “fun” with Hip-Hop and EDM than Trailli, so thinking EXT and Thummin currently (I think a new update for latter coming?)… Anyway, am I on the right track of what to consider, or any others that you’d recommend?

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #6,683 of 8,027
@HiFiHawaii808 I really respect your knowledge in these areas: I’ve really built my recent portable setup around starting from a core of Cayin N8ii and Trailli, and very happy with that path. But the journey continues for us all, lol! End goal currently for me is to find two, MAYBE three other TOTL iems to complement the Bird. Saw the discussion in the water cooler thread which was fantastic to list out the current prime candidates of iems that have respected and experienced listeners of headfi chiming in which was great. I’m looking for those two or three iems to add as well rounded compliments (not replacement) for the Trailli which is going to be my foundational all-rounder for probably the next couple of years. With that starting point, what would you recommend as possible considerations to give me something different from the Bird? Right now I’m focused on that desire for a little more “fun” with Hip-Hop and EDM than Trailli, so thinking EXT and Thummin currently (I think a new update for latter coming?)… Anyway, am I on the right track of what to consider, or any others that you’d recommend?

Here is what I would recommend auditioning:

1) Elysian X or Annihilator

2) FIR Audio: XE6 or KR5 or NE4

3) Empire Ears Legend EVO or Legend X

Bonus) Any of the UM Masons. My favorite is Red Halo FE. You didn't mention vocals. These would be my pick for vocals

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #6,684 of 8,027
"She's singing right in my ear!"

20220703_142920.jpg

20220703_142315.jpg

My mother who's a life long musician is blown away again by the Traillii & N8ii combo. I am letting her hold onto it this time.

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #6,685 of 8,027
So … with Traillii thread folks mostly discussing other IEMs … does mean that the bird landed flat on its nose?

I know that a lot has been said and comparisons been made, but I’d love to hear more from long time users if they still love the bird and if not, why they decided to retire it. For me the current discussion is … Traillii and Evo or Traillii and Odin or Odin and Evo. Any advice appreciated.
I think I can say something about ownership for more than six months.
If I'm not mistaken, I bought them last November. It was a good time until the rashists ruined everything. But I have to say that they play just as well as they did before the war.

I hesitated for a long time whether I should buy headphones that are so expensive. After all, at that time I had several good iems that I still consider good - CA Solaris SE, Dita Dream, etc. However, I figured I'd look into something like Traillii anyway. After all, I already had LPGT, so the issue of the player was (and remains) solved for me for a long time. So why not get one pair of great ones instead of several pairs of good iems?

So I wanted to get something that was like the LPGT but iems. So that I can live comfortably with this combo for quite a long time. I mean a year or more. After all, if we take into account this time, then the price of the purchase does not bother me as much.

Before that I read the thread from the beginning and saw a lot. And delight, and disappointment, and the traditional sale of those people who just wanted to try and sell them right away. If it weren't for this phenomenon, the price of new ones would probably stop me. Or postponed the purchase.

So what can I say based on experience.

1) Convenience. If it wasn't for sound correction and curiosity, I wouldn't have replaced the tips.

2) Cable sensitivity. They are among those who respond to it. Not drastically, but noticeable. So they need a good cable.

3) Versatility to the source. Seriously, I can't remember what source I would have flagged the combo as bad with. So the choice of source is a matter of taste. Now I use them with LPGT or Onkyo X1a or ALO CDM. And every time it's a beautiful sound. But I have tried many other players or dongles. And of course, when using something simple, it will not reveal the potential of Traillii. But these iems scale very well with source growth. And, it seems, they can do it indefinitely.

4) The Bourne Supremacy. The iems have aged well. I mean, they remain competitive more than a year after their release. I have not listened to many iems of this level, but I always noted that they are either technically worse, or the difference is in taste, but not in level.
I compared them for example to Odin and Wraith. No chance. These are good iems. Until you start listening to Traillii. Or worse, don't switch to them after Traillii. A downgrade in sound quality is guaranteed.
I also compare now to UM Mason Fusang. And they are more synthetic and less organic and natural.
As for the Evo - well, these are frankly basshead headphones. So I don't think they should be compared. A completely different setting, but the sound is simpler. In my opinion - more vulgar. But when you're looking for very expressive bass, I don't think the Traillii and almost any other tops will work for you. There are not many alternatives to Evo here. But I'm starting to get a headache from so much bass.

5) Persuasiveness. Traillii is not quite my sound. They are a bit more flavorful than I like. However, their technical level, as well as the selection of cable, tips and sources allowed me to get an excellent long-term rig.

6) Genre versatility.
As a rule, tasteful headphones (and the Traillii is still not an equal monitor, they have a noticeable emphasis on bass and a slightly warm and slightly fat sound) impose restrictions on certain genres.
Conventionally speaking, jazz sounds more intimate and insightful, as if Mr. Thelonious Monk is clinking a glass of whiskey with you before he starts playing.
Or the drums sound more weighty and convincing when listening to something recorded dry, as they did, for example, in the 70s.
But when it is a deserted industrial or electronics, there the extra heat distorts the feed. In addition, when we are talking about music that is difficult to reproduce with various low frequencies, such a bass usually increases the size of the instruments, but violates their limits.
I mean different sizes of instruments. Or the different intensity and nature of drum hits. Due to the greater amount of bass, the headphones amplify this and make it more noticeable. However, by some magic the iems manage to work out very technically complex parts of the instruments, while conveying enough emotions. I listen to many different genres. The main thing is metal. And here the headphones are great. But when it comes to any other genre, there are no questions either. Everything sounds great. Emotional, but extremely high-quality.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #6,686 of 8,027
Here is what I would recommend auditioning:

1) Elysian X or Annihilator

2) FIR Audio: XE6 or KR5 or NE4

3) Empire Ears Legend EVO or Legend X

Bonus) Any of the UM Masons. My favorite is Red Halo FE. You didn't mention vocals. These would be my pick for vocals
Appreciate you, thanks for the distilled list! Very helpful in putting together my iem targets for auditioning at SoCal CanJam.

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #6,687 of 8,027
I agree with you. The presentation of sound is different. It's not that there is more or less of any frequency. The IEM just sounds different with the Opheus and FT shielding. It's like there is another dimension of sound to its presentation. The First Times non-shielding does not have the same effect to my ear.
Agreed.

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #6,688 of 8,027
how would they make it better?...better color choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back