Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #6,001 of 8,024
What cable is that^?

Looks like chinese Cema Audio Ag/Au/Pd from aliexpress.

This is the cable:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001469501133.html

The wires look like from Cema Audio as @Amadeo Nospherathu stated. I saw it and liked how it looks. Also the color matches with the Traillii so I ordered it. I will not give any impressions regarding the sound as I am not a cable believer. But what I can say is that the wires and connectors are really premium. I also measure all of my cables :sweat_smile: The original Traillii cable measures astonishing 90mΩ. Most cables are around 150 and higher (e.g. stormbreaker cable). To my surprise this cable measured 62mΩ (!). I don't really care that much about it as even 150mΩ is way below any audible effect but of course that is up to your believe (and sure it's part of the hobby). But the cable is definitely one of my favorites.

Interested in those custom tips.

Could you, by any chance, share your impressions, the differences, for good or bad, between custom and universal tips? Many thanks in advance.

Are those from ADV? I got some custom tips from CustomArt, they are super comfortable and seal really well. But they do alter the sound a bit, takes away a bit of the space and delicate nature, makes them more solid and thick sounding. We are still tweaking the final shape, Piotr is a super nice guy. Yours look like full size, do they make the IEMs stick out of your ears a lot?

Regarding the custom tips:

I went to a local acoustician to make some ear impressions that I wanted to send together with Traillii to an Online Shop here in Germany that offer custom tips. However the local acoustician offered me the same service. They work together with a laboratory (specialized in hearing aids and dental services, they seem to use the same tools for scanning, processing etc.). Definitely ask your local acoustician if you are interested, they can probably offer the same. I do not live in a big city.

So I decided to do it locally as they additionally offered unlimited revisions. First, they send me just the custom tips (a very small one that you put only on the nozzle) but that didn't work well as the weight of the IEM moved it a lot and I couldn't get a good seal. So on the second attempt they created that full size custom tip that also covers the IEM.

1642190713195.png

Impressions:

I need to say some words before I give my own impressions. Generally custom tips or custom iems are said to increase the bass. This is mainly perceived due to the better seal AND often times also by the decreased diameter of the sound channel. If you compare a universal nozzle to the hole in a custom IEM / custom tip, the universal nozzle is often times bigger. The shell / custom tip wall thickness needs to have some mass to be stable and that reduces the diameter of the channel as you ear canal has a fixed diameter. That said I have bigger ears as I am a larger person. That allows the acoustician to create a much bigger sound channel diameter and also allows to insert the IEM deeper in my ear as there is enought space. For reference: I use normally L-tips with 14mm and above diameter. Most if the times I can't get a goodl seal with L-tips that are 12-13mm (which most of them are).

Coming to the sound changes now. Actually in my case I had already fit issues with the Traillii as the nozzle is very short compared to other IEMs. Combined with my big ears I can only put it at the beginning of my ear canal with standard tips. That heavily influenced the treble on the Traillii for me (less treble). With the custom tips I have a crystal clear sound that's also quite physical. To give a better comparison: I had the UM Mest MKII with a perfect fit with standard tips. I also created custom tips for them and the sound improved as well. Not by much, maybe 5%. But that little improvement made them much more enjoyable and with the Traillii I find the improvement even much bigger as the standard tips do work pretty bad for me.

Another point that really increases the perception of sound quality for me is also the comfort. I rather listen to over ears than to IEMs. So whenever I put them on I need to get used to the "pressure" of the standard tips. That disturbs my listening experience to a significant degree. With the custom tips I don't have that issue at all as the sound is coming into your ear from nowhere :smile: But there is also a negative point about the custom tips. You can't quickly remove them to talk with people and then just put them on again. They go deep into the ear and it needs some practice to get used to change them.

Here are also two pictures that show the difference:

2.jpg
Unbenannt-1.jpg

Anyhow, I think custom tips and their effect on the sound is very very dependend on your ear anatomy. If you have big ears I definitely recommend them, it's a day and night difference for me :upside_down: If you have normal ears or small ears, I can not give any experience. Maybe others can help but I think the sound gets definitely affected, especially by increased bass and maybe even a full size custom tip is not even possible.

One last tip: Make sure to make pictures of your IEM and heavily remembering the acoustician that you give them a high priced item. Even inspect the IEM together with your acoustician before handing over. I gave my Odin in absolute mint condition together the Traillii to my acoustician and this is how the Odin looks now:

1642192017857.png

They will replace with their insurance company. But still sucks.

Edited: Added pictures and fixed some typos.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #6,002 of 8,024
This is the cable:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001469501133.html

The wires look like from Cema Audio as @Amadeo Nospherathu stated. I saw it and liked how it looks. Also the color matches with the Traillii so I ordered it. I will not give any impressions regarding the sound as I am not a cable believer. But what I can say is that the wires and connectors are really premium. I also measure all of my cables :sweat_smile: The original Traillii cable measures astonishing 90mΩ. Most cables are around 150 and higher (e.g. stormbreaker cable). To my surprise this cable measured 62mΩ (!). I don't really care that much about it as even 150mΩ is way below any audible effect but of course that is up to your believe (and sure it's part of the hobby). But the cable is definitely one of my favorites.

Regarding the custom tips:

I went to a local acoustician to make some ear impressions that I wanted to send together with Traillii to an Online Shop here in Germany that offer custom tips. However the local acoustician offered me the same service. They work together with a laboratory (specialized in hearing aids and dental services, they seem to use the same tools for scanning, processing etc.). Definitely ask your local acoustician if you are interested, they can probably offer the same. I do not live in a big city.

So I decided to do it locally as they additionally offered unlimited revisions. First, they send me just the custom tips (a very small one that you put only on the nozzle) but that didn't work well as the weight of the IEM moved it a lot and I couldn't get a good seal. So on the second attempt they created that full size custom tip that also covers the IEM.

1642190713195.png

Impressions:

I need to say some words before I give my own impressions. Generally custom tips or custom iems are said to increase the bass. This is mainly perceived due to the better seal AND often times also by the decreased diameter of the sound channel. If you compare a universal nozzle to the hole in a custom IEM / custom tip, the universal nozzle is often times bigger. The shell / custom tip wall thickness needs to have some mass to be stable and that reduces the diameter of the channel as you ear canal has a fixed diameter. That said I have bigger ears as I am a larger person. That allows the acoustician to create a much bigger sound channel diameter and also allows to insert the IEM deeper in my ear as there is enought space. For reference: I use normally L-tips with 14mm and above diameter. Most if the times I can't get a goodl seal with L-tips that are 12-13mm (which most of them are).

Coming to the sound changes now. Actually in my case I had already fit issues with the Traillii as the nozzle is very short compared to other IEMs. Combined with my big ears I can only put it at the beginning of my ear canal with standard tips. That heavily influenced the treble on the Traillii for me (less treble). With the custom tips I have a crystal clear sound that's also quite physical. To give a better comparison: I had the UM Mest MKII with a perfect fit with standard tips. I also created custom tips for them and the sound improved as well. Not by much, maybe 5%. But that little improvement made them much more enjoyable and with the Traillii I find the improvement even much bigger as the standard tips do work pretty bad for me.

Another point that really increases the perception of sound quality for me is also the comfort. I rather listen to over ears than to IEMs. So whenever I put them on I need to get used to the "pressure" of the standard tips. That disturbs my listening experience to a significant degree. With the custom tips I don't have that issue at all as the sound is coming into your ear from nowhere :smile: But there is also a negative point about the custom tips. You can't quickly remove them to talk with people and then just put them on again. They go deep into the ear and it needs some practice to get used to change them.

Here are also two pictures that show the difference:

2.jpgUnbenannt-1.jpg

Anyhow, I think custom tips and their effect on the sound is very very dependend on your ear anatomy. If you have big ears I definitely recommend them, it's a day and night difference for me :upside_down: If you have normal ears or small ears, I can not give any experience. Maybe others can help but I think the sound gets definitely affected, especially by increased bass and maybe even a full size custom tip is not even possible.

One last tip: Make sure to make pictures of your IEM and heavily remembering the acoustician that you give them a high priced item. Even inspect the IEM together with your acoustician before handing over. I gave my Odin in absolute mint condition together the Traillii to my acoustician and this is how the Odin looks now:

1642192017857.png

Edited: Added pictures and fixed some typos.
That is absolutely unacceptable! Even the nozzle looks like it has taken a battering. I'm glad that you have had it sorted by insurance but nevertheless, I would be extremely angry.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #6,003 of 8,024

I think this is extremely unprofessional. I would not trust to do something if my headphones were returned in this condition. And he should compensate for that.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #6,004 of 8,024
This sounds beautiful on Traillii - if you enjoy a blend of ambient soundscapes and some subdued dub techno - certainly not dancefloor material. The iFi Gryphon is wonderful also with the bird, very nice pairing... album link in the spoiler below.

20220115_220225.jpg

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #6,005 of 8,024
I finally compared two cables that should be (I thought) the same. But no. The difference is not critical, but it is.
Cardas Clear Light doesn't sound like PW Stormbreaker.
PW is more V-shaped, and Clear Light is more integral, better plays the overall sound, but does not reduces the details. Sounds more natural and organic.

And about music)
IMG_20211124_195017-02.jpeg

Photo also with a good album, although not with this cable)
Once again, I'm convinced of how good Ori work with bad records. Recently, the album Architects with a symphony orchestra was released.
There is this record on YouTube and this is the case when the quality of the recording (I'm not talking about bitrade) is better than the same album Live on Abbey Road, which you can find on streams. Of course, Ori doesn't make it impossible to listen, but the pleasure is less. And yet, it sounds quite emotional and very cool.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #6,006 of 8,024
A bit off-topic, but after reading a fair few positive takes on the W2 here - esp with the Bird, I recently decided to jump on one during MusicTeck’s last sale. After finally having the opportunity to evaluate today, I must say even my 64 Audio U18Ts sounded really excellent straight from my iPhone! No surprise, the Bird was even better - it is just so technically brilliant and SO resolving in literally every way. My SP1000M will still be my go-to at home. But the fact this tiny dongle can provide the results I’m hearing, is just astonishing - worth every penny, particularly for an on-the-go solution.

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #6,009 of 8,024
Guys, a quick question.

What is the size of the 2 pin connector on the Traillii ? 0,75 or 0,78?
0.78 is standard I think. I have only heard of 0.75 in the context of 64 audio CIEMs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did find the Trailli sockets pretty tight at first though.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #6,010 of 8,024
0.78 is standard I think. I have only heard of 0.75 in the context of 64 audio CIEMs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did find the Trailli connectors pretty tight at first though.

Yep, Traillii comes with a standard universal 0.78mm socket and its stock cable uses the same matching connector. With 64 audio CIEMs (customs only), it is an option and I think you can have 0.75, 0.78, or IPX connectors.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #6,012 of 8,024
A curiosity, or if you want a somewhat "strange" question, which in any case does not want to be a provocation at all:
... Assuming that, as many say, Oriolus Traillii is (whether it can be shared or not) the best or one of the best iem on the market. In a hypothetical comparison, what would be the other ems of the same level or slightly below the Traillii dsa to be able to stand up to it?
I have done many comparisons. For me, it is the Traillii and Erlkonig. I have not heard the VE Phoenix. The other VE’s, 64 Audio, JH, Dunu, Noble, Campfire, etc do not stand up. They do not match the timbre and overall SQ of the Traillii. It is also a great fit in my ear, so I am sure that comes into play. I prefer an IEM that has a short nozzle.

You may feel differently though. If I were you and were able to demo other IEM’s I would compare it to the Odin, Evo, LX, and the new Ext and Phoenix. Good luck.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #6,014 of 8,024

I did find the Trailli sockets pretty tight at first though.
0.78 is the most common standard. Traillii uses a recessed 0.78. 64 Tia Fourte also use this standard. For custom, I think, any standard can be available. 0.75 is a bit outdated, it can be found in older Westone models, etc. If I am not mistaken.
In the end, I think when there is enough strength and confidence, you can connect the 0.78 cable into the 0.75 socket)

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #6,015 of 8,024
My newfound favorite kpop/EDM track. I don't usually listen to this genre but this combo sounds fantastic. DX240(SPDIF)->LP6Ti7AE->Orpheus->Traillii :ksc75smile:

img4178.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back