Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 6, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #46 of 8,024
Too bad that I can't get a demo unit in my area.
I believe it's a hype effect influencing if 1 or 2 reviewers praised the product up to the sky. However if everyone who owned the product, with other TOTL iems, satisfied and no complaints about the sound quality...then this iem is something special.
In my current situation, I am not allow to have a desktop setup yet. (Especially when my are kids are small and need attention when I back home)
I hope I am able to find 1 iem that 'rule them all" to stop my itches for search the perfection in my imagination. (Although, I understand that there is nothing perfect in this world. But at least, stop my inches for a period of time?)

By the way, with all the hypes sharing around...Are there any 'weakness' for this bird?

Unfortunately I feel this is something that will only be found when you get to hear it yourself. I honestly cannot find any with the listening experience and I’ve heard basically every relevant TOTL IEM.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #47 of 8,024
By the way, with all the hypes sharing around...Are there any 'weakness' for this bird?
TBH I'm not sure if many of the acclaimed TOTLs these days have obvious weaknesses. I myself don't have enough experience so can't comment too much on this. There are a few nice Traillii reviews in the forum with comparisons between Traillii and other well known TOTLs, maybe that can help you? I'd suggest you take them with a grain of salt and prefer those that are more neutrally worded: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriolus-traillii-jp.24343/reviews

But really, don't let the hype get to you, I'd suggest you try it first, because everyone has their own preferences, and those may lead to "strengths" or "weaknesses" perceived by individuals. I don't think there is a single IEM that can "rule them all" for everyone, and that definitely includes Traillii, as it has a more traditionally balanced sound.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #48 of 8,024
@tgx78 thanks for the image credit. I accredit that to my wife’s new Samsung phone capability!

I’m still doing some trial and error to dial in my ideal usage and form solid opinions I can post here. Including a comparison to my Noir.

I can say though off the bat it’s the best IEM that I have heard. That’s to my ears...I’m sure others will not enjoy it that much, and that’s perfectly fine too.

Just two quick observations:
- I prefer my Sedna short by a wide margin. A lot more comfortable and still gets the bass very right. I struggle with the CP155 because of the length and deeeeep fit. If you look at the stock tips I suspect the Traillii was designed closer to be a shallow fit.
- It likes power. On my R8, there was a marked improvement using turbo mode. Not talking just volume. I still use low gain and dial it back a few clicks compared to non-turbo, and the sound seems more dynamic and expressive.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #50 of 8,024
F14E0975-5492-40FE-9175-8549835BE165.png
CBAAF45E-AA03-4F09-B452-1F44617A5155.png
8CD786B4-F87D-4EA4-8CD3-937D512358A1.png

C546BFEC-C587-409E-A48E-EF000D462CA8.jpeg

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #53 of 8,024
❤️🐦❤️

1F4F36CD-E5FA-47C9-83C8-40DF7F956A69.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #54 of 8,024
Just in regards to the elephant in the room, being price. A couple things to consider:
- I could replace all my IEMs and aftermarket cables as the Traillii looks to be ticking all boxes. Selling those I’ll probably end up in the green, so there is that perspective on value. The corollary or course is that one can buy several great IEMs with cables for the price of one bird.
- The pitchforks come out when people see the $6k price, which includes a $2k+ cable. Yet, same people often buy $2-3k+ IEMs and talk about the vast improvement their $2k cables make. Again a corollary here....would be great if the Traillii was offered with a cheaper, more basic cable at a lower price. Same can be said for the likes of the Odin.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #55 of 8,024
Yes I agree, which makes me all the more interested in @gLer's upcoming review comparing Fourte and Traillii. I wrote my impression in Nick's thread a while ago, I believe Traillii is more of an all-rounder, so it may draw some dislikes if the listener has a clear preference on music genres. For instance, I'm not entirely sure if MMR Thummim fans will find Traillii fully enjoyable.

I was just trolling haha. We all know what happened in Nick's thread. Everyone has their preferences, for me personally, I place a bigger emphasis on sound quality, and only consider shell design etc. afterwards (although I'd still prefer IEMs that don't have a strong "personality" in design, e.g. I would hesitate a little if I see something like LCD-i4 or Thummim).

Regarding comfort though, I actually find light-weight metal shells more comfortable, such as Fourte's aluminium shell. Erlky probably should have emphasized ergonomics over premium looks with a different material, e.g. I think aluminium or titanium (or their alloys) might be a better metal material choice for premium IEMs.
I love the bird but I also really liked the sound of the Thummim, better than LX or Wraith, the fit did not work for me. I have large ears any sharp edges on the topside of IEMs somehow seem like they are cutting my outer ear, so did not buy it. If I could find that level of Lshape quality in one I could actually wear I would add it to compliment the more musical and balanced Traillii, the live sound of the Mest, the vocals of the Elysium, and the understated near perfection U12T. For me all bases than covered, to answer every time of day, mood, and genre. If only 1 the bird would be it.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #56 of 8,024
I believe it's a hype effect influencing if 1 or 2 reviewers praised the product up to the sky. However if everyone who owned the product, with other TOTL iems, satisfied and no complaints about the sound quality...then this iem is something special.
In my current situation, I am not allow to have a desktop setup yet. (Especially when my are kids are small and need attention when I back home)
I hope I am able to find 1 iem that 'rule them all" to stop my itches for search the perfection in my imagination. (Although, I understand that there is nothing perfect in this world. But at least, stop my inches for a period of time?)

Perfect art does exist. Cezzane’s last painting, Pat Metheny on guitar, Jaco on Bass, the song Golden, and so much more. For audio gear though you are likely right.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #57 of 8,024
Saturday morning listen the Xelastec tips made a remarkable improvement. Now sounds summit level for sure.

Attachments

• C8FED1CA-E0E9-40FF-8B43-345072B4A23C.jpeg
    C8FED1CA-E0E9-40FF-8B43-345072B4A23C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #59 of 8,024
Wondering....
Don’t worry about this. Many of us think audio cables are just like jewelries. If it makes it sound better, then this is a bonus.

As for sound, the cable absolutely changes it. It is just a matter of magnitude. Meanwhile, I want to note that digital cables do very little, if anything, to the sound. I once bought an expensive USB cable and it does nothing to the sound whatsoever.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #60 of 8,024

Hi,
concerning weaknesses, I can only think of 2 for the moment. First one being the price obviously and second one (as I already shared in Nick’s shootout thread) is the microphonics of the cable. So it’s not a problem with the IEM per say...
Except for that, they are my personal ideal IEMs. Compact, one of the most comfy I’ve tried, very likely the best noise isolation for a universal fit I tested, super light weight...
Sound-wise, I won’t say they are the best either, because I don’t think such thing exists. Everything is always a matter of preferences, but for me they are the perfect match. They somehow regroup the aspects of all the IEMs that I like into a fantastically balanced and musical performance. From the DD like sub bass / bass from Z1r, Elysium‘s organic mids, Odin‘s crazy details and i4’s open back soundstage realism. They very likely don’t match or surpass each of these sets in their specialties, but they get so incredibly close that it makes it one of the most accomplished device without a doubt.
Also, as previously mentioned, I still seem to prefer the sound experience that I get from my i4 overall, but I need to spend more time listening to the Traillii to really get a final opinion. It might just be the fact that I’m so used to listen to the i4. Also, I’m a huge open back headphone sound fan so, that could be a factor... :ksc75smile:
I’ll be able to give more feedback when I receive my customized Traillii (just color, not fit) next month... the pain from waiting is killing me!!! :cry::laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back