Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #4,066 of 7,929
Enjoy. It's one heck of an experience. I'd been listening to the Focal Utopia with the Danacable Lazuli Reference plus.
And decided tonight for the sake of portability to sit on the couch with any transportable home setup.

Just wow. The richness and tonality of the bird out of the Hugo2/C9 pairing is just ... breathtaking.

IMG_4819.jpeg
is this pairing better than tt2 ?

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #4,067 of 7,929
is this pairing better than tt2 ?
Perhaps a different flavour rather than 'better'.

The Hugo2/C9 has a softer, yet richer sound. Vocals are perhaps a tad more laid back with the Hugo2/C9. It's also a darker presentation. The TT2 is typical Chord. Technically superior especially with placement and precision. It is the higher quality DAC. Which is more enjoyable? Depends on my mood.

I haven't actually ever tried plugging the TT2 into the C9. There's no reason why I couldn't... something to try for another day. It would simply be colouring the sound signature.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #4,068 of 7,929
Perhaps a different flavour rather than 'better'.

The Hugo2/C9 has a softer, yet richer sound. Vocals are perhaps a tad more laid back with the Hugo2/C9. It's also a darker presentation. The TT2 is typical Chord. Technically superior especially with placement and precision. It is the higher quality DAC. Which is more enjoyable? Depends on my mood.

I haven't actually ever tried plugging the TT2 into the C9. There's no reason why I couldn't... something to try for another day. It would simply be colouring the sound signature.
I also have the Hugo 2, TT2 and C9. I have tried all combinations. I agree with your characterization of the Hugo 2 + C9. It makes for a richer and warmer sound than the Hugo 2 alone.

To my ear, I think the TT2 is significantly better than the Hugo 2 + C9. But the Hugo 2 + C9 provides transportability.

The C9 does compliment the TT2 in a similar way. In tube mode, it provides a complimentary sound to the house TT2 sound. Although this is true, I do not plan on pairing permanently my C9 to the TT2. Instead, I am probably going to pick up an Amps & Sound tube amp to pair with the TT2.

And, given the form factor, my preferred pairing for my C9 is the DX300. They are about the same size and fit into a case better. The Hugo 2 cabling is not ideal. I finally got the C9 Van Nuys case this week, but I am travelling and don't have it with me yet.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,069 of 7,929
I also have the Hugo 2, TT2 and C9. I have tried all combinations. I agree with your characterization of the Hugo 2 + C9. It makes for a richer and warmer sound than the Hugo 2 alone.

To my ear, I think the TT2 is significantly better than the Hugo 2 + C9. But the Hugo 2 + C9 provides transportability.

The C9 does compliment the TT2 in a similar way. In tube mode, it provides a complimentary sound to the house TT2 sound. Although this is true, I do not plan on pairing permanently my C9 to the TT2. Instead, I am probably going to pick up an Amps & Sound tube amp to pair with the TT2.

And, given the form factor, my preferred pairing for my C9 is the DX300. They are about the same size and fit into a case better. The Hugo 2 cabling is not ideal. I finally got the C9 Van Nuys case this week, but I am travelling and don't have it with me yet.
Did not know that you have acquired the TT2 as well, congrats!

I remember just a couple months ago you were saying that TT2 + Pendant is only in your future plans. I guess that future is not too far away after all. :)

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,070 of 7,929
Did not know that you have acquired the TT2 as well, congrats!

I remember just a couple months ago you were saying that TT2 + Pendant is only in your future plans. I guess that future is not too far away after all. :)
I am very weak.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,072 of 7,929
any plan for adding mscaler to your tt2 ?
I almost bought one this week. It took all will power I could must up to hold me back from pushing the buy it now button. I will pick one up at some point. Hopefully not before I get the tube amp.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #4,073 of 7,929
Small steps for me. Savouring the Traillii bit by bit. After some initial listening, most of the evening has been on the M8. I am very surprised. The Traillii, with BAs, is capable of such visceral bass. The soundstage is effortlessly big. There’s an easy sparkle and vibrancy to its trebles without causing any discomfort. The vocals are really lovely. Not forward but understandable in the context of the big soundstage. The words effortless, easy listening and natural come to mind. :)

BF31990C-D478-4976-BF16-B8F394A70384.jpeg

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #4,074 of 7,929
Small steps for me. Savouring the Traillii bit by bit. After some initial listening, most of the evening has been on the M8. I am very surprised. The Traillii, with BAs, is capable of such visceral bass. The soundstage is effortlessly big. There’s an easy sparkle and vibrancy to its trebles without causing any discomfort. The vocals are really lovely. Not forward but understandable in the context of the big soundstage. The words effortless, easy listening and natural come to mind. :)

BF31990C-D478-4976-BF16-B8F394A70384.jpeg
Good summary of the Bird.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #4,075 of 7,929
How come Traillii is sounding so good with W2 (and my iPod touch)?! Do I even need to keep my SP2000? 🤔

7BD228F6-1AB5-49BF-8AC9-65A7027CDE16.jpeg
Oh, welcome to the natural order of W2 + Traillii ownership, sorry for any spoilers:

1. "Eh just a dongle, should be convenient at least"
2. "Jeez, the soundstage! And the detail. And layering?!"
3. *Checks credit card to confirm it only costs $299 and not $1500*
4. Reevaluate all recent purchases and start considering which mid-fi DAPs to sell off
5. Sell 1-2 mid-fi DAPs
6. Realize that W2 kills your battery
7. Realize that Sp2k/N6Ti is a bit richer/fuller
8. Still GOAT the pairing and live happily ever after

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #4,076 of 7,929
thanks for taking us on that journey with you, @tawmizzzz.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #4,077 of 7,929
Oh, welcome to the natural order of W2 + Traillii ownership, sorry for any spoilers:

4. Reevaluate all recent purchases and start considering which mid-fi DAPs to sell off
5. Sell 1-2 mid-fi DAPs
You left out the innovation of the magnet in the W2 case.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #4,078 of 7,929

5. Sell 1-2 mid-fi DAPs
A very good summary. 😂

For step 7-8, I have two other LP DAPs, arguably the GOAT :sunglasses: (for my use case anyway).

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #4,079 of 7,929
Listening to the bird in bed with the W2. Haha! I now understand the collective amazement at the pairing. Whilst you can squeeze incrementally more out of a full sized TOTL DAP, it is still a wonder how the L&P W2 is capable of this much.
E52BF768-6669-430D-B085-84A9A22F70EA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back