Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #3,706 of 8,024
I've have a newly acquired EE Odin, which I thoroughly enjoy, and would appreciate comparisons of the Odin and Traillii from those of you who have used both. . . always looking. Thank you.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #3,707 of 8,024
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #3,708 of 8,024
74FF529E-CF94-48E9-BA0D-5EF0C8005F12.jpeg

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #3,709 of 8,024
My doctor officially informed me the Upgraditis I’ve been suffering from for years is gone.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #3,710 of 8,024
This dude (posted below) nailed it. But the summary tends to be that most Odin owners do not regret selling theirs to get Traillii. Even the son of Odin himself, @CL14715

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ori...id-iem-discussion-thread.956460/post-16364488
Yes pretty spot on. The only things I would add or maybe explain in a different way are:

Bass: The best way to describe Odin bass is to assimilate it to a very high excursion and high watt rms subwoofer that isn’t running full power. If you were to power it fully it would be loose and crazy but because it’s not fully powered the bass is very deep and snappy, pumping out a feeling of depth the Traillii cannot match. This pertains only to sub bass though. Technically the traillii has more sub bass and mid bass in quantity but you only notice a greater sense of mid bass in the Traillii because of how powerful Odins sub bass is. The Odin has a steeper roll into mids so it’s not as colored there.

Mids: The Odin although not as wide or panoramic sounding as Traillii in the mid range, does have a more precisely or sharper edge between layers. This creates a more hyper detailed and forward sound in contrast to Traillii’s detailed but diffused presentation.

The Odin and Traillii are top dogs as far as capabilities. They truly sound different enough that owning both wouldn’t be redundant whatsoever. That being said, both are very expensive and it’s hard to own nearly $10k between two IEM’s and still justify spending more to demo or sample other offerings. So most people cannibalize the Odin to retain the Traillii.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #3,711 of 8,024
Bass: The best way to describe Odin bass is to assimilate it to a very high excursion and high watt rms subwoofer that isn’t running full power. If you were to power it fully it would be loose and crazy but because it’s not fully powered the bass is very deep and snappy, pumping out a feeling of depth the Traillii cannot match. This pertains only to sub bass though. Technically the traillii has more sub bass and mid bass in quantity but you only notice a greater sense of mid bass in the Traillii because of how powerful Odins sub bass is. The Odin has a steeper roll into mids so it’s not as colored there.

Wait, what?! An underpowered subwoofer would sound looser, flabbier and more uncontrolled due to the lack of power. It also won't have a solid slam and will sound more diffused. A properly powered subwoofer with an appropriate rms watt output from an amp should make a sub sound punchier, faster, tighter, more detailed with deeper extension.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #3,712 of 8,024
Wait, what?! An underpowered subwoofer would sound looser, flabbier and more uncontrolled due to the lack of power. It also won't have a solid slam and will sound more diffused. A properly powered subwoofer with an appropriate rms watt output from an amp should make a sub sound punchier, faster, tighter, more detailed with deeper extension.
No, it wouldn’t. A very powerful “high excursion” woofer as I mentioned, is not the same as a typical subwoofer. When a high SPL woofer is underpowered it tends to sound tighter and punchier, with less decay than it does when fully powered, because it is not moving as much air. When I say underpowered I mean lower gain, not poor amperage. I competed in SPL and dB competitions for years when I was younger. I ran 4 sundown 18 inch SPL subwoofers and I know for a fact that the characteristics changed from low to high gain.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,713 of 8,024
Adding more impressions on the synergy Traillii + N6ii ti (R01)

I could summarize with:
Beautiful vibrant, sparkling string sound.
Impactful Bass
Large soundstage
Not warmer, but analog feeling.

Most comments are a comparison with:
Fiio M15
L&P W2
ifi pro IDSD (SSD mode)

No hiss at all in high gain.
I won’t speak about the android part or the ergonomic.

The Blue Stones - Black holes Solid Ground
Definitely bigger stage, more authoritative drums
Guitars are more forward, improved.
Not a distortion but vocals are not exactly as they sound with other Dac. I have trouble to describe it but it is not warmer.

Note: Songs definitely sound better in local Hi-Res than Tidal. I loose some soundstage.

Oasis - Go let it out
Guitar more present again, better holographic effect.
The authority in bass/low mids is confirmed again.
I would not say it is a fun DAC, but way more engaging.

I tried the C9 for few songs
The C9 seems to improve all the difference I mentioned.
less fidelity in Vocals but not a problem.
stronger bass
Business as usual!

Daft Punk - Around the World
Probably a bias but the tonality reminded me of when I first listened to this song, full analog.
Definitely a bigger stage than the W2. However, I found the W2 to have more slam.

Florence+The Machine – How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
I heard some background noise on this version I have that I did not hear before.
Her voice is more energized than when I listen on the Ifi pro IDSD.
I definitely catch more issues on this recording than I did before. I realize that I listen probably 2-4db higher on the N6.

Gin Wigmore – Hollow Fate
The rumble is here but not invasive on the other instruments. It is a song I listened to hundreds of times on all my DAP/DAC. With IEM, I love how it goes with the N6.
Not warmer, but it does not go bright, a good analog neutral.

I could not explain how, but the LGPT is very similar to this N6ii R2R Dac. While I would not have considered the N6 to reach the quality of the LGPT with previous motherboard.
I did not listen enough to LGPT for a full comparison.
I listened a bit to the SP2000 and confirm they are close as well, but I prefer the music presentation of the N6ii R2R.
I could imagine why people listening to orchestra involving vocal could have a preference for the SP2k. But even on Jazz I would go with the N6.

I tried the Xenns Up and LegendX SE, but the Bird is the one getting the most out of the N6ii.
However, testing this way is unfair considering how the bird is superior for the stage, separation, details, vocals.

Long story short, the M15 is in a box forever. The W2 will remain my mobile device as the W2 doesn’t sound bad compared to the N6, however every time I can get the DAP with me, I will.
Even at my desk, I will pick the N6ii R2R rather than the ifi Pro IDSD.

If you have an SP2000, an LGPT, I don’t see a need to switch, but the N6ii with R2R Dac is quite a pleasant paring with the Bird.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #3,715 of 8,024
I messaged Oriolus to see if they’ll change the faceplates on my current unit to negate having to sell. Also to see if it would be a quicker turn around. 🤞🏻
Now why didn't you think of that @aaf evo? 🤔

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #3,716 of 8,024
Now why didn't you think of that @aaf evo? 🤔
Dude's gonna get testy here pretty soon. For the record, @aaf evo I feel you my man. Being without your precious hits a man where he lives. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

O.K., well actually you are alone in this because this is not shared experience, but it's the thought that counts. :smile:

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #3,717 of 8,024
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #3,719 of 8,024
Correct on the Horus 8 but I assume you were asking about the 4.4 interconnect. It was custom made by Skyaudio. There’s a small thread about them on here and he does business primarily through ebay uk. Highly recommended. This particular one is 8 wire copper with an outer silver braid that is purely decorative/protective. He’s making me a pure silver as well.
55EBF0C9-6FF3-4A35-BBFC-7E186C838989.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #3,720 of 8,024
Yes pretty spot on. The only things I would add or maybe explain in a different way are:

Mids: The Odin although not as wide or panoramic sounding as Traillii in the mid range, does have a more precisely or sharper edge between layers. This creates a more hyper detailed and forward sound in contrast to Traillii’s detailed but diffused presentation.

The Odin and Traillii are top dogs as far as capabilities. They truly sound different enough that owning both wouldn’t be redundant whatsoever. That being said, both are very expensive and it’s hard to own nearly $10k between two IEM’s and still justify spending more to demo or sample other offerings. So most people cannibalize the Odin to retain the Traillii.
I own both and would totally agree with all @CL14715’s observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back