Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,316 of 8,095
I've no experience with more expensive tube amps, but if you can get a cheap Little Dot there's no harm in experimenting with this more 'budget' option. With swappable opamps and the choice of tubes you can really seek your own flavour - not everything has to cost an arm-and-a-leg to sound good. As for connecting an adapter to a 2k cable...I appreciate you're point, but the whole idea of tubing is to introduce 'tasteful' distortion. I would say relax and have some fun!
Yep, for me the C9 may be the gateway drug, we’ll see…

Maybe that was Cayin’s plan all along…

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,317 of 8,095
I can't find you, but whoever recommended CP155 a few pages back - thankyou! A wonderful upgrade for my ears compared to stock tips. The added length achieves an excellent seal. They fit perfect and the medium has the same liver red colouration to match the birds faceplate. The bass seems to be better conveyed and the highs slightly smoother. I was yearning for some added body to the sound sig and this just got me there :)

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,318 of 8,095
Cp155 are 👌

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #3,319 of 8,095
I can't find you, but whoever recommended CP155 a few pages back - thankyou! A wonderful upgrade for my ears compared to stock tips. The added length achieves an excellent seal. They fit perfect and the medium has the same liver red colouration to match the birds faceplate. The bass seems to be better conveyed and the highs slightly smoother. I was yearning for some added body to the sound sig and this just got me there :)
I loved them on my Erlkonig, but I prefer a touch wider bore on Traillii. I do enjoy the sound with the CP155, but I roll between a couple of others.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #3,320 of 8,095
Yup, enjoying the wide bores of the Azla's short fit.

Gotta work on a Sunday, but Dave and Bird are helping out ... :)

2021-06-27 16.03.57.jpg

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #3,321 of 8,095

2021-06-27 16.03.57.jpg

Good ol' Dave! (I always giggle when I hear this mentioned, such a British name)

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #3,322 of 8,095

2021-06-27 16.03.57.jpg
After many tests, I too went back to Azla Light Short.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #3,323 of 8,095

Can you tell what stunning amp that is in the background?
Just read the text, sorry, for non native speakers it took a while to understand who Dave is 😉

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #3,324 of 8,095
Well, I made the mistake of trying the C9 with the Traillii before I box it up and send it to its new home…. It just brings maturity to the M8/Traillii. Everything is just better again.. time to forget that though..

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,326 of 8,095
Well, I made the mistake of trying the C9 with the Traillii before I box it up and send it to its new home…. It just brings maturity to the M8/Traillii. Everything is just better again.. time to forget that though..
Yeah C9 is an interesting product. It shows you the (surprising) effect of what high-end desktop amps can do to IEMs.

The tricky part is that many desktop class amps are really not for IEMs unless you put into some effort to buffer the impedance gap…

Wish that Cayin can find a way to incorporate C9 into their future DAPs. However, even Liang from Cayin mentioned that none of their current DAPs in their R&D pipeline can touch the level of the C9 stack.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,327 of 8,095
Thx guys for your feedback
I have to confess that after checking the mentioned high end options I don't want to put a 20 kg behemoth onto my small side table at my listening position,the Macintosh is decent with 5kg but a little bit more than I wanted to spend.
Any recommendations for something higher up than little dot in a format of a classic headphone amp such as Lyr3?
What do you guys say about connecting the birds to SE ports of amps like Schiit Lyr3 (single tube option) or Burson 3xp (no tube) using adapter cable?
I am hesitating connecting a 2k balanced bird 4,4mm cable to an additional adapter...
For completeness, I'll post here what I sent to you via PM.

I demoed this IFI hybrid tube amp a few months ago.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-ican/

I thought it sounded good and it provides both solid state and tube sound. I personally still prefer separate amps for solid state and tube, but if you have a limited footprint, this type of solution may work for you.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #3,328 of 8,095
For completeness, I'll post here what I sent to you via PM.

I demoed this IFI hybrid tube amp a few months ago.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-ican/

I thought it sounded good and it provides both solid state and tube sound. I personally still prefer separate amps for solid state and tube, but if you have a limited footprint, this type of solution may work for you.
Much appreciated!
I will follow up this suggestion and report back...

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #3,329 of 8,095
Can you tell what stunning amp that is in the background?
Just read the text, sorry, for non native speakers it took a while to understand who Dave is 😉
Haha, it's usually spelled in capital letters, and stands for ‘Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis’, which is a bit presumptuous, but to be fair it is one of the very best DACs out there.

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #3,330 of 8,095
I tried to put another cable on the Traillii today, but the bird's having none of it... I noticed the same when I had the Odin. Are PW pins thinner than standard pins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back