Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 30, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,026 of 8,027
There's nothing wrong with trying different gear but personally I got the bird to get out of this vicious circle.
I also decided against C9 to keep my setup minimal, otherwise I d go into desktop size rig, M30 etc to really step up but I won't do that anytime soon.
Will stick to the most minimum audiophile setup I can get which is M8/W2 for now.
Nevertheless I will keep the additional Elysium for night time listening and just ordered a new PWAudio 1960 cable for it 😉
Have you actually heard the C9? If not, you may change your mind about what you need after you hear it.

May 30, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,027 of 8,027
I love how people who recently got the bird are only now just starting to realize how amazing it actually is...
I admit it is hard to get information about the Traillii other than this thread on Internet. Few reviews, no video about it, it is a very niche product.
Surprisingly, being a UM fan, it is the Mason FS thread that got me to take the Bird more seriously.

May 30, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,028 of 8,027
I admit it is hard to get information about the Traillii other than this thread on Internet. Few reviews, no video about it, it is a very niche product.
Surprisingly, being a UM fan, it is the Mason FS thread that got me to take the Bird more seriously.
Yeah. I know. It's tough, but enough of the posters have credibility with me for their judgment in IEMs. I have my doubts that it will be the be all and end all of IEMs, but I expect it to be spectacular. Looking forward to fitting it into my portfolio of listening experiences.

May 31, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #2,029 of 8,027
Have you actually heard the C9? If not, you may change your mind about what you need after you hear it.
No, but got the recommendation that it's not as good as M30 as M8 has no true LO and won't scale in terms of holografy beyond DX Max which I still have if paired with M8 in terms of holografy.
Only top source that is worth it is told to be N6 II with E02/A02 and I won't invest into new DAPs as of now.
Maybe I will think about it again with R2R on Android 😉
Therefore I skipped it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #2,030 of 8,027
I initially felt I needed more impact from the Traillii, however the bass, more that anything else, has improved with burn in.

Same experience this side. Improvements in both deep rumble, and visceral punch, both of which were very welcome. Not sure if it’s i) brain burn in, ii) BA’s settling, iii) cable running in; or iv) all of the above - either way, really impressed.

It’s not a DD (in the sense of how a well executed DD can sound and feel), but it comes very close, and in a way that’s perfect for me as it feels like a bit of “best of both” - heady mix of the speed and punch of BA, and physicality of DD.

But to the initial point - it does certainly improve with time so if anyone is slightly underwhelmed at the start; some patience pays off. In particular if you’re coming from an IEM(s) with a dynamic driver and you’re accustomed to it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #2,031 of 8,027
...and it’s 2 bas.

it’s beyond belief.
Which begs the question, what the F have all the other guys been doing all this time with their BA IEMs? Seriously? (That said the only reason I consider Traillii even close to worth the price is its bass response, without which it wouldn't pass muster against the best DD IEMs).
I think he mentioned he wanted a minimal setup. I'm in the same boat. A minor SQ bump is not worth the inconvenience of a second device for a portable setup, especially not for IEMs. If I had any full size headphone, that's a different matter.

May 31, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,032 of 8,027
Which begs the question, what the F have all the other guys been doing all this time with their BA IEMs? Seriously? (That said the only reason I consider Traillii even close to worth the price is its bass response, without which it wouldn't pass muster against the best DD IEMs).

I think he mentioned he wanted a minimal setup. I'm in the same boat. A minor SQ bump is not worth the inconvenience of a second device for a portable setup, especially not for IEMs. If I had any full size headphone, that's a different matter.
It's not a minor SQ bump. It's a life changing experience bump.

May 31, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #2,033 of 8,027
It's not a minor SQ bump. It's a life changing experience bump.
If that's the case, with IEMs, and coming from a high-end DAP, then none of the high-end DAPs are worth the money we're paying for them as far as I'm concerned. And in which case that's not a criticism of the C9, which is clearly doing what it's designed to do.

May 31, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #2,034 of 8,027
Without wanting to take this off-topic much longer, the C9 doesn't offer a minor improvement, but a major one, especially for DD IEMs, however its not life changing for me. The sound with my DAP alone is great and has enough of its own appealing character that if I had to leave the C9 at home I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Luckily, my carry allows for C9 to come with me most of the time.

To bring it closer to topic, I've found the Traillii scales less so with C9 than other IEMs which is a testament to the Traillii and its faultless execution.

May 31, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,035 of 8,027
What I also find interesting again and again is how much the source influences the listening experience also with the bird which is imho more flexible in terms of pairings than other IEMs
W2 vs M8
Very revealing honest with striking upper mids vs smoother and organic.
Especially older Metal recordings kind of no go on W2, whereas enjoyable on M8, Theater of Tragedy as my latest example.
If the recording fits W2 is sounding more ethereal and direct with nice sub bass rumble and ethereal stage from upper mids upwards like Tenet - Original Motion soundtrack.
So "sounding" is definitely a topic and I can imagine that according pairings like C9 with tube warmth or M8 with its smoother organic house sound make a big difference for personal enjoyment.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,036 of 8,027
Hi guys,

just a little post to share pics of another custom traillii from a guy that I know who purchased it in the same shop :

0FEE23B7-FAF6-4838-A3F0-C9326BE4632B.jpeg
14D9206F-B380-43A6-A42E-11C10162066D.jpeg
81708DC3-8F27-48BA-89AE-3FDF356F3BED.jpeg

not really the kind of design I’d pick for myself, but it does show what’s possible to do in custom design.
So I think you guys can let your imagination go wild!! :ksc75smile:

Cheers.

May 31, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,039 of 8,027
Without wanting to take this off-topic much longer, the C9 doesn't offer a minor improvement, but a major one, especially for DD IEMs, however its not life changing for me. The sound with my DAP alone is great and has enough of its own appealing character that if I had to leave the C9 at home I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Luckily, my carry allows for C9 to come with me most of the time.

To bring it closer to topic, I've found the Traillii scales less so with C9 than other IEMs which is a testament to the Traillii and its faultless execution.
+4 exactly the same feeling on all four comments.

Off topic? Traillii, since some are trying to trim down, is the C9 worth it, does relate I think.

C9 only provides the amplification so that creates the opportunity to remove amplification from the DAP, with true line out plugged in (whatever that is), stands to reason there would be less noise in the analog input to the C9. Plus the C9 has way more power to provide head room to drivers. I am finding dynamic drivers seem to benefit the most.

May 31, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,040 of 8,027
MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back