Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #991 of 1,871
Actually the sale posting is quite misleading. Outside it is written as Oriolus 1dd+ 3BA.but inside there are two versions and forsteni is not mentioned anywhere.

That's why it's better to shop at normal stores than messy sellers of Aliexpress

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #992 of 1,871
Just posted my review of the elusive Hyla CE-5 on Everyday Listening and Theheadphonelist. Hyla are an extension of Oriolus, featuring more experimental designs. The CE-5 is very intriguing as its 4-drivers are comprised of a single dynamic, 2 BA's and a ceramic ultrasonic tweeter. Not here to debate its effects, but this is a very nice sounding IEM. From what I've read online, the CE-5 sounds like a more engaging sibling to the MKII. See my full review for all the details!

dsc081732.jpg

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #993 of 1,871
Just posted my review of the elusive Hyla CE-5 on Everyday Listening and Theheadphonelist. Hyla are an extension of Oriolus, featuring more experimental designs. The CE-5 is very intriguing as its 4-drivers are comprised of a single dynamic, 2 BA's and a ceramic ultrasonic tweeter. Not here to debate its effects, but this is a very nice sounding IEM. From what I've read online, the CE-5 sounds like a more engaging sibling to the MKII. See my full review for all the details!

dsc081732.jpg
With all the references to oriolus I was expecting a comparison with Oriolus Mk2. Otherwise good review. I want to see how they are in vocal department as compared to oriolus as vocal are strongest points for mk2.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #995 of 1,871
I don't feel the CE-5 is V-shaped, especially coming from the mk2. If anything, it seems to be more present in the mids, and not as emphasised in the bass region.

Having said that, I've not had mine running for nearly 200 hours yet, so let's see if this changes with time. I would do some direct comparison with my mk2, unfortunately the new cable I purchased for the CE-5 arrived with a dead left channel, and had to cannibalize my mk2 cable while waiting for the RMA to be returned to me.

I was hoping it would be an easy decision to sell the mk2, but the lack of head to head time has complicated matters. In the meantime, how about a pic :)

MVIMG_20180121_195257.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #996 of 1,871
I don't feel the CE-5 is V-shaped, especially coming from the mk2. If anything, it seems to be more present in the mids, and not as emphasised in the bass region.

Having said that, I've not had mine running for nearly 200 hours yet, so let's see if this changes with time. I would do some direct comparison with my mk2, unfortunately the new cable I purchased for the CE-5 arrived with a dead left channel, and had to cannibalize my mk2 cable while waiting for the RMA to be returned to me.

I was hoping it would be an easy decision to sell the mk2, but the lack of head to head time has complicated matters. In the meantime, how about a pic :)

Nice pictures.
I look forward to your comparison.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #997 of 1,871
With all the references to oriolus I was expecting a comparison with Oriolus Mk2. Otherwise good review.

Interesting, what source are you using with it? The CE-5 has a very low impedance so it's easily influenced by output impedance. Unfortunately, the MK2 isn't available in Australia so I wasn't able to get a loaner for comparison, great that someone can do that for us!

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #998 of 1,871
Interesting, what source are you using with it? The CE-5 has a very low impedance so it's easily influenced by output impedance. Unfortunately, the MK2 isn't available in Australia so I wasn't able to get a loaner for comparison, great that someone can do that for us!
Will be using my WM1Z via the balanced out, hence the need for another cable in the first place :p

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #999 of 1,871
Will be using my WM1Z via the balanced out, hence the need for another cable in the first place :p

I don't have much experience with the WM1Z either, unfortunately, at the very least, it's pleasing to the eye!

Now I can't guarantee the accuracy of this graph, but I hope it helps some people out:
zRJlRpG.png

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #1,001 of 1,871
Interesting, what source are you using with it? The CE-5 has a very low impedance so it's easily influenced by output impedance.

Btw, I was curious, in your review you mentioned something about driver flex, in what situations can you hear it? I want to see if I can reproduce the same with my unit as well.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,002 of 1,871
Btw, I was curious, in your review you mentioned something about driver flex, in what situations can you hear it? I want to see if I can reproduce the same with my unit as well.

Mostly when inserting the IEM, it sounds like a crinkle. I can also hear it when pushing the housings further into my ear, basically, whenever there's positive pressure.

If you aren't experiencing it, perhaps that also explains our differing stances on bass quantity.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,003 of 1,871
I have always had the "pop" sound when adjusting them in my ear. May be flex of the tuning port.
This is a comparison of the SE425, SE846 and Oriolus using the new EARS from MiniDSP:
y4meW0hC9DydsHO19wvJoGaF5b5LuRFF57RDF5qyvVdDHTQRs5H3B3tl5euzrnmyC2lzMWeKTQPTzhTPeiIe-1mbrOE9Uz3KTZ8klHZxiih4vh09YDHgLriNukx177Yr2aS_0m0ML73LJ0S3v_3OThjQbL6YJNy0t_QZRHKyPVU8OKZvX1NVRNf8RsW2Bh5q88JExxhcDKYB8DiXfM6fno0Dw

I personally placed a mild cut in the equalizer at 10K, and one at 7K (sealed canal ear resonance compensation) but that's all.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,005 of 1,871
oriolus mk2 pw no.5 where can I get
Directly from Oriolus it seems. Maybe a Japanese store if you speak/ know your way around.

I recently got my pw no5 cable from music sanctuary and my Oriolus separately from Penon Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back