Ori Zhaolu arrived
Aug 4, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Would a conditioner even make a difference with a dac like the D02A, because it runs on battery power?

Doubt it.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Would a conditioner even make a difference with a dac like the D02A, because it runs on battery power?

You'll get mixed comments about that, but if you're planning on getting one just for the D02, then save you money. Personally, I don't even need my power conditioner but it would be too much hassle to box it up and sell it. Plus, I paid like $140 for it
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Hey I'm up for a meet anytime, but let's wait until the D02A gets delivered
cool.gif
That's the first thing I want to do when it comes in.

Lol, Yeah it'd be a sad meet otherwise, as mine is in Canada at the moment. In the near future then.
340smile.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #34 of 51
I left my system burning in 24/7 for several days without listening. I sat down to take a listen today, and holy ShMOKES! As I said on my last post, I was expecting I would need to change out a cable/cord or two to synergize with my system/tastes.

But today, the sound coming out of my system is absolutely what I wanted all along. Remember your first encounter with a REALLy good high-end system? I could site huge Apogees powered by a gazillion watts of Krell, a real nice SET powering Edgarhorn/hornsub, Levinson quad-amping Magnepan MG20, etc, as my first audio epiphanies. That feeling that you are where you want to be, and that any "improvements" from here on out don't matter.

That's the gestalt I'm feeling today. Music is robust and lithe at the same time; extremely detailed and smooth at the same time; extended yet not midrange-recessed; images are dense and rich in an airy 3-D soundstage with natural precision; exquisitely textured and microdynamic yet continuous. To think I was *THIS* close to actually buying a Dodson 218, Meitner, Esoteric UX
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #35 of 51
glad to know it works out. i would assume the sound coming from ur speaker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I left my system burning in 24/7 for several days without listening. I sat down to take a listen today, and holy ShMOKES! As I said on my last post, I was expecting I would need to change out a cable/cord or two to synergize with my system/tastes.

But today, the sound coming out of my system is absolutely what I wanted all along. Remember your first encounter with a REALLy good high-end system? I could site huge Apogees powered by a gazillion watts of Krell, a real nice SET powering Edgarhorn/hornsub, Levinson quad-amping Magnepan MG20, etc, as my first audio epiphanies. That feeling that you are where you want to be, and that any "improvements" from here on out don't matter.

That's the gestalt I'm feeling today. Music is robust and lithe at the same time; extremely detailed and smooth at the same time; extended yet not midrange-recessed; images are dense and rich in an airy 3-D soundstage with natural precision; exquisitely textured and microdynamic yet continuous. To think I was *THIS* close to actually buying a Dodson 218, Meitner, Esoteric UX
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by liuhao
glad to know it works out. i would assume the sound coming from ur speaker?

Yes, speakers for now. However, I do have an Almarro A205a Mk II SET amp on loan and plan on trying the OMZ->Almarro->K1000 REAL soon
smily_headphones1.gif
Betcha that'll be stunning.

I just wish I had some nice Amperex/Mullard EL84 tubes to roll..

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Yes, speakers for now. However, I do have an Almarro A205a Mk II SET amp on loan and plan on trying the OMZ->Almarro->K1000 REAL soon
smily_headphones1.gif

I had an Almarro about 3 months ago.Very nice sounding amp! Was just not enough power for speakers.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
I had an Almarro about 3 months ago.Very nice sounding amp! Was just not enough power for speakers.

Hehe, my speakers are actually honest 95dB sensitive at flat 7 Ohms, and Almarro's 4-5 watts should work fine. I once had a 1.5 watts/channel 45 SET driving them (the top module) with ease
smily_headphones1.gif

So much to listen to and so little time..

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #39 of 51
Wow, thanks for the impressions, Jon! I guess you could say you really like it. Any chance you could take some pics of the inside?

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Good thing I get to hear this thing in less than a week, or I'd be tempted to wonder what's been smoked in your house this week
biggrin.gif

Glad you'll be able to try it out. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

it seems to be that the major Ori mod is the discrete amp upgrade. is it same as the discrete amp upgrade done by Wu@diykits.com.hk?

just like you that i am mainly interested and will use the DAC portion of zhaolu. i do have headphone but my stereo speakers always sounds better. i am going to order a zhaolu from diykits but i thought that discrete amp upgrade was on the headamp portion. if it's about the analog output of DAC, perhaps i should go for the upgrade.

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Good thing I get to hear this thing in less than a week, or I'd be tempted to wonder what's been smoked in your house this week
biggrin.gif

When you live so close to Sunset Blvd, you never know what the evening breeze might carry over...
k1000smile.gif
If that LA meet is anywhere near what we had in Saratoga, you won't need that extra smoke to get high... Looks like a real blast from the get go!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by liuhao
it seems to be that the major Ori mod is the discrete amp upgrade. is it same as the discrete amp upgrade done by Wu@diykits.com.hk?

just like you that i am mainly interested and will use the DAC portion of zhaolu. i do have headphone but my stereo speakers always sounds better. i am going to order a zhaolu from diykits but i thought that discrete amp upgrade was on the headamp portion. if it's about the analog output of DAC, perhaps i should go for the upgrade.

no, Ori's mod changes the analog output stage

Eddie's headphone amp upgrades the headphone amplifier section with a discrete one

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee
no, Ori's mod changes the analog output stage

Eddie's headphone amp upgrades the headphone amplifier section with a discrete one

oic. thanks for the answer. i am veyr interested in Ori's mod. anyone has done a comparision between Ori's mod and stock zhaolu? how big is the improvement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back