Ori Zhaolu arrived
Aug 4, 2006 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
dscn1008kp2.jpg

dscn1004in8.jpg

dscn1043vw0.jpg

dscn0995gr8.jpg

This is the Ori Zhaolu D2 with AD1852 and discrete output stage and an extra transformer for the digital input section. I expect it will take me about a week to dial in my system around the new DAC and about that long to fully burn in the unit. So far so good
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 51
Are you using an external battery pack? Also, two-thumbs up for representin' Team Lack
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 51
Congrats.... Optimizing the set up for the ori-zhoalu actually takes some time, but it's worth it.

(by the way, it works very well with his digital cables)

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

dscn0990rh7.jpg

Your Zhaolu looks different from mine on the right side of the volume knob. Can you post a close up of that section? What version Zhaolu do you have/where did you get it?

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
ori's digital cables work well with the zhaolu? as opposed to others? i find these statements a bit disconcerting

Lol, I'd hope all digital cables would work "well" with it. Otherwise..."Houston, we have a problem."

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Are you using an external battery pack? Also, two-thumbs up for representin' Team Lack
cool.gif

Actually that's a DIY SLA battery pack I made up for the Empirical Audio "Freeway" USB/spdif converter, which is the small black box on top of the Zhaolu. To explain my setup a little bit:

Dedicated silent audio PC with fanless PS w/ Foobar2K/FLAC/ASIO dll

Digital output via Lynx 2B via DIY spdif output jack adapter, OR
Digital output via Empirical Audio Freeway USB/spdif converter with DIY SLA battery PS

Ori-mod Zhaolu D2 DAC

EVS Ultimate Nude attenuators for gain matching/preamp

Bryston 10B active crossover w/ crossover point 140Hz

VAC Renaissance 30/30 300B push-pull amp with AVVT AV32B tubes >140 Hz

Marsh A200S SS amp for <140 Hz

One-of-a-kind custom speakers with Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon tweeter, Focal 7K2 midrange, and Dynaudio woofers, actively bi-amped.

The rack is DIY Ikea Lack rack with drilled-in spikes. Zhaolu sits on Brightstar Little rock, and the audio PC sits on Greater Ranges Neuance shelf.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 51
Hi
i've been looking at the freeway 2 for a while. How much of a difference does it make? any info on it would help. Thanks.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 51
Sweet! Now you can compare that ori modded zhaolu to the D02A w/ 16chip upgrade you ordered (when it arrives)!

I thought you listened on headphones? Your profile dosn't seem very up to date, do you still have the K1000?

BTW,
Did you get ori's "complete" mod?

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Sweet! Now you can compare that ori modded zhaolu to the D02A w/ 16chip upgrade you ordered (when it arrives)!

I thought you listened on headphones? Your profile dosn't seem very up to date, do you still have the K1000?

BTW,

I'd be interested in hearing how the D02A compares with the Zhaolu. Should be interesting...at least for those who own the Zhaolu with these same Ori mods. It seems like all of these units are unique because of the zillions of mods you can do.

003, look at the pictures again and see if you can spot what's hiding on his computer
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

BTW,

I just haven't bought a "headphone amp" yet since I sold my Dynahi, but you can see the K1000 sitting on the PC in the picture. Both my VAC and Marsh amp drive the K1000 very well, but it is a hassel to go from speakers to K1000.

As far as Storm D02A, I finally heard back from Ken yesterday, but I asked him a couple of key questions about the USB input implementation, and I'm waiting for those answers before I actually hit Paypal.

I know he doesn't use USB bus for power, but I want to know if he is using battery for USB or AC (like the LED does). I also need to know if his USB supports ASIO dll and/or ASIO4ALL or even kernel streaming.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Lol, I'd hope all digital cables would work "well" with it. Otherwise..."Houston, we have a problem."

They all work, if making sound is considered "working".
k1000smile.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

003, look at the pictures again and see if you can spot what's hiding on his computer
wink.gif

Ah! I totally missed that! Well I'm off to bed now, been up since 7:30 and now it's 12:13 AM.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
As far as Storm D02A, I finally heard back from Ken yesterday, but I asked him a couple of key questions about the USB input implementation, and I'm waiting for those answers before I actually hit Paypal.

I know he doesn't use USB bus for power, but I want to know if he is using battery for USB or AC (like the LED does). I also need to know if his USB supports ASIO dll and/or ASIO4ALL or even kernel streaming.

Please let everyone know the answers to your questions.

To everyone: Would the storm d02a combine the advantages of the freeway plus an excellent dac? I already have a zhaolu but the storm dac is less expensive than the freeway so it might be a big improvement for computer users. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back