Organic Chemistry
Oct 6, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 33
I hated it at first. But once I got a ways into it, everything started making sense. I've found most people had a "lightbulb" moment somewhere into their OChem journey.

After that moment, everything changed. Now, I think it is one of the most beautiful things in the world. I know this makes me a complete nerd, but I often find myself nostalgic for the days of organic...

Keep pushing...this intro stuff may seem tedious, but it will all make sense later.

Scott

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 33
I have my first Ochem test tommorow. We'll see!
very_evil_smiley.gif

It is more interesting than I thought though, and it is making more sense than general chem.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 33
Lecture was kinda boring, but lab was great. Loved that part.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 33
Took it and so long as I paid attention I did fine.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 33
Hated it. Poor teachers + easy grading == studied day before test + only showed up for tests. Course, that pretty much describes 80% of the classes I took Sophomore->Senior years.

Never learning it made the Biological Sciences part of the MCATs real fun.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 33
It's all about electron flow. Other than that, 3D visual acuity, and memorizing reactions/reagents.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Hated it. Poor teachers + easy grading == studied day before test + only showed up for tests. Course, that pretty much describes 80% of the classes I took Sophomore->Senior years.

I'll never understand why people call the test "the MCATs." Its a single test. I just dont get the plural. Same thing with "The SATs."

"The Boards" makes sense, being 3 steps and all...but the other ones...making it plural is kinda silly IMHO.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) organic chem. is taking up less and less of the Biological Sciences section. On the April 2006 exam, I only had 1 orgo passage. Let me tell you, it was a BRUTAL passage though.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
I'll never understand why people call the test "the MCATs." Its a single test. I just dont get the plural. Same thing with "The SATs."

"The Boards" makes sense, being 3 steps and all...but the other ones...making it plural is kinda silly IMHO.

They want to make it sound like the boards, it's the hip thing to do
k1000smile.gif

After OChem starts to make sense and you enjoy it you'll find yourself teaching it to people. It was pretty fun showing people how I studied/made sense of it all.

edit: no not to random people. Others that were taking OChem at the time
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757

Force of habit. Other people called it that, so I call it that. Silly or not, it's generally accepted usage.

/Good enough reason for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Fortunately (or unfortunately?) organic chem. is taking up less and less of the Biological Sciences section. On the April 2006 exam, I only had 1 orgo passage. Let me tell you, it was a BRUTAL passage though.

Seemed like there were a lot more O-Chem passages than that when I took it in 2003. Closer to 4. Then again, it maybe it just seems longer when you're randomly bubbling in answers.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
They want to make it sound like the boards, it's the hip thing to do
k1000smile.gif

After OChem starts to make sense and you enjoy it you'll find yourself teaching it to people. It was pretty fun showing people how I studied/made sense of it all.

edit: no not to random people. Others that were taking OChem at the time
tongue.gif

I'll never forget the first time I found myself drawing a benzene ring when someone asked me a question...I was....some weird mixture of proud, ashamed, and *nerd.*

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
If you're in medicine you're a nerd one way or another
plainface.gif

and MD/PhD --> double nerd...yay!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back