Organic Chemistry
Oct 6, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 33
Not organic chem but high school AP Chem. Fun.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
AP Chem third quarter my only C in high school
frown.gif

Of course third and fourth quarter were all old AP exams from there on with our teacher giving us the respective number grades :/

Sounds like he/she hated your class...

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Sounds like he/she hated your class...

There is a little resentment here...but if I was a high school chemistry teacher...I would hate pretty much everything..

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #21 of 33
I liked O Chem more than General Chem (inorganic). Both were hard...looking back on it I think second semester General Chem was harder...either that or I wasn't studying as hard as I did for O Chem.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I liked O Chem more than General Chem (inorganic). Both were hard...looking back on it I think second semester General Chem was harder...either that or I wasn't studying as hard as I did for O Chem.

I loved chemistry all the way up to physical chem...

I think my rear still has a mark that PChem left on it.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 33
Man, i hated this course in university... I was planning on doing a double major with Chem so i took it but man i really hated it.. I like inorganic way more.. But thinking back, if I put alot more effort I think it would have been somewaht enjoyable. Lab was ok too but the TAs made it crappy... Have fun with it and keep up with lectures and readings.. They definitely would help alot!

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #24 of 33
Introductory Organic Chemistry fails to tie into practical applications, which renders it exceedingly boring.

I think we are beginning to see an emerging preference for highly efficient, biologically catalyzed events through naturally selected enzymes over inefficent, human derived, in vitro chemical synthesis, especially now that we have fully harnessed techniques in molecular biology and genetics (recombinant protein expression, directed evolution, etc.).

Biology has begun to infiltrate chemical engineering in such a way that I think organic chemistry might be subsumed by biochemistry/protein chemistry in a hundred years.

This is coming from a biophysicist/structural biologist/protein engineer who had his fair share of Organic Chemistry, back in the day.

-Matt

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Introductory Organic Chemistry fails to tie into practical applications, which renders it exceedingly boring.

I think we are beginning to see an emerging preference for highly efficient, biologically catalyzed events through naturally selected enzymes over inefficent, human derived, in vitro chemical synthesis, especially now that we have fully harnessed techniques in molecular biology and genetics (recombinant protein expression, directed evolution, etc.).

Biology has begun to infiltrate chemical engineering in such a way that I think organic chemistry might be subsumed by biochemistry/protein chemistry in a hundred years.

This is coming from a biophysicist/structural biologist/protein engineer who had his fair share of Organic Chemistry, back in the day.

-Matt

I agree with everything there except the replacement of organic by other subjects. Maybe you are implying that it will be integrated by others, but as far as it disappearing, I doubt it ever will.

Not knowing the mechanism of a hydrophilic attack would render science nearly impossible to do (I just use that as an example). Organic is built into every biological reaction, and its study is absolutely critical to understanding biology.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Not knowing the mechansim of a hydrophillic attack would render science nearly impossible to do (I just use that as an example). Organic is built into every biological reaction, and its study is absolutely critical to understanding biology.

I can't spell worth a crap (and I'm even worse at punctuation), but if you’re really into public education, as your signature suggest, maybe you should first look into spell check.

@ the OP, this book was suggested to me before I took Organic:
http://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Electr...e=UTF8&s=books
It's in the form of a no nonsense workbook. You actually do exercises pushing electrons. It was helpful.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
I can't spell worth a crap (and I'm even worse at punctuation), but if you’re really into public education, as your signature suggest, maybe you should first look into spell check.

@ the OP, this book was suggested to me before I took Organic:
http://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Electr...e=UTF8&s=books
It's in the form of a no nonsense workbook. You actually do exercises pushing electrons. It was helpful.

Ohhh....gettin pissy over a typo. Mature.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
I agree with everything there except the replacement of organic by other subjects. Maybe you are implying that it will be integrated by others, but as far as it disappearing, I doubt it ever will.

Not knowing the mechanism of a hydrophilic attack would render science nearly impossible to do (I just use that as an example). Organic is built into every biological reaction, and its study is absolutely critical to understanding biology.

crazyfrenchman27 didn't say Organic would be replaced by Biochemistry, he said it would be subsumed by Biochemistry. Big difference.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
crazyfrenchman27 didn't say Organic would be replaced by Biochemistry, he said it would be subsumed. Big difference.

Exactly. I hadn't read his post carefully enough.

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #30 of 33
I liked Organic. Had two semesters of it and enjoyed the class and lab portions. Way better than Physics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back