Ordering from Head-Direct to Europe (Croatia); costs and waiting time
Dec 8, 2010 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

terhardp

New Head-Fier
Hello. I live in Croatia and I would like to purchase a pair of Head-Direct RE0 earphones. I've found them on Amazon.com store, however when I summarize my order, it seems that the shipping and handling costs are huge, even when I choose standard shipping method. Therefore, I went to Head-Direct site and tried to add 1 pair of headphones into the shopping basket. I choosed the "rest of the world" option, which added 10$ cost to the price of headphones themselves (79$). This would be acceptable to me, but I kind of doubt that there won't be aditional charges to this, so I didn't placed my order yet. Therefore, if someone from this region has ordered something from Head-Direct, I would be very greatfull if you could tell me your experiences, namely about shipping costs and waiting time.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 14
Shipping costs are equal to 10 USD, without any extra charges. To get to Italy my RE0 took about 2/3 weeks last year. They get to you sooner or later, you just have to be patient.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 14
better order them form head direct , than from amazon.co.uk as the price is much higher due to the pound>>dollar atm

also , you could go for the zero , which may be better than the re0....

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Thank you everyone for your responses, you've been most helpful.

I've decided to order the phones from Amazon.co.uk. The price is indeed higher, but I imagine that delivery time will be shorter, considering the distance.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Dude, you can't order technical items from Amazon. They only ship books and CDs to Croatia.
Try eBay or HeadFi.
A word of warning though: any packages that have a value (item+shipping) of more than 35$ may be taxed (PDV 23%) and subject to duties (10%).

I have ordered packages valued at 50$ and haven't paid any duties nor the VAT (PDV), but I suspect I just got lucky :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 14
Heh, seems I was wrong. You CAN indeed order re0 from Amazon and they WILL ship it to Croatia.
This is the first non-book, non-CD item I've seen that they are willing to ship :)

Great!

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 14
I've ordered a pair of RE0's yesterday from Amazon.co.uk and recieved an email that my order has been sent. With bit of luck, maybe I'll get them for Christmas.

BTW, I'm well aware of the carina and PDV problem when ordering from the Internet to Croatia (have done this before). However, I've spent too much time looking for the quality pair of IEMs here in our local IT and electronics stores. I've only found either cheap Sony, Panasonic, Philips and Grado earbuds or too expensive Sennheiser IE7 and 8. The only thing in between you can (theoretically) purchase here is Sennheiser CX-300. I'm saying "theoretically because I saw them in the catalogues of several domestic electronics stores, however when I've asked them about it, they have claimed that they never had a pair of these... Maybe it's just as well, since I've read several reviews on them here on Head-Fi and similar sites, and have concluded that they're not to my taste.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 14
internet is your friend , guys.

internet and this wallet-killing forum
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 14
I just want to say that I've recieved my RE0 today and I'm very happy with them so far. Initially, I had some trouble choosing the right eartips to fit my ears. I've concluded that the smallest one-flanged and small bi-flanged suits me the best. The eartips of my Etymotic ER6's maybe suit me tad better, but maybe I just need some time to get used to it.

As for the sound itself, I can only say its what I've expected and more. As a musician / composer and hi-fi fan, I tend to like transparent and realistic sound the best. But what suprised me the most about RE0s, is that bass is not at all weak and without character, which I've expected from this kind of earphones. I'm using RE0's with my iPod Nano 2nd Gen. Currently, it's half-full with MP3 files ripped from original CD's with LAME -V5 settings. I haven't done any ABX tests yet, but I feel that I should use higher setting for these phones to really sing at they full voice.

P.S. One small detail. The phones I've got doesn't have metal cable joint, like I've seen on some photos of this model. On mine, it's made of rugged plastic, but it does have a metal ring above it. Also, the jack is larger and more robust, plus the gold-plating on it seems a lot brighter.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 14
I ordered mine from ampcity a month ago or so, took 3 days to get in Sweden. I paid a little bit more than on head direct but price was still great!
Bass is not weak, it's just not the main strength. I feel bass lacks a bit of body, but it sure is punchy.
Most people cannot hear the difference between lossless files and 192+ lossy. But using low bitrate mp3 does not bring out the best with the RE0's.
Mp3 at low bitrates uses quite aggresive lowpass filtering, so nothing higher than 16kHz is in your file, and the RE0 can still produce those frequencies.
Treble is its strength together with clarity and details. It can sound a bit thin and mids are a bit recessed compared too the thick, lush mids some other IEM's might offer. It could use a fuller sound perhaps, depending on the recording itself. Try Blonde on Blonde from Dylan, that's just so spot on thin and bright, same with many Billy Joel cd's.
Sibilance sometimes is very present. Might be because I removed the foam, I have read it makes the mids slightly less recessed, so I never even tried with the foam in the nozzle.
128 mp3/aac/whatever often has pre-echo and that annoys me. If you want to save storage you might consider wavpack hybrid or optimfrog, if your player supports it, that is. AAC at 256 is mostly safe in terms of doing justice to the recording and is about 4 times as small as FLAC/ALAC and 8 times as small as wave.
I needed a few days to really appreciate the RE0 and now that I own a small amp, it's even better then before!
Enjoy your music.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi there !
Just ordered the HiFiMan RE-Zero from head-direct.com to Croatia,Zagreb. The earphones cost 59$ now + shipping 10$ . Hoping the VAT (PDV) wont jump me bad 
smile.gif

Can't wait ! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back