ORDERED REFERENCE BUT MAY NOW GO SMIV
Oct 6, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bunsco

100+ Head-Fier
As the title states - ordered a reference, but may go supermicro 4 for portability reasons.

The reference looks as though it could become a tiresome experience after a while, whereas the SMIV is hardly noticeable.

Is this the real world case?

If so, is it too late to change my order - and if not, how do i go about it.

If any of you ipod/reference OR ipod supermicro users out there give me a day to day assesment of the portability of the 2 setups and convienience factor - mainly the whole taking the ipod out of the pocket/bag to change settings/volume/song - something i do quiet often with my ipod.

thanx for any help

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 13
I had an iMod+Reference setup that I for practicallity sold in favour of a Nano+SuperMicro setup. Objectively this was a small step down in sq but in real life on the go I hardly notice the difference. The biggest drop in sq probably comes from the iMod to Nano change as the SuperMicro really is a good amp. If you want to change send an email to Dr. Xin with a subject like "I want to change orderno xxxxx" and describe your change. You probably will not get any reply but should be good.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Like nc8000, I have a 1st gen nano with the SuperMicro in a crumpler bag and it is really portable in my pocket. I also have the SuperMacro with an iMod in a Headroom gigabag and that hooks up well to a belt.

There is quite a big sq difference between the two, with the iMod/Macro being the better of the two, as nc8000 states.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 13
well for me the most important real life factor is the battery life. granted i'm a more careless person and forget to turn off the amp sometimes. using the reference, i don't have to worry about that because one full charge can last me 2 months, whereas with the micro, i'd have to charge the batteries every other week...

my advice is to get both! you can sell the one you don't like later. there'll be plenty of buyers waiting!

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my advice is to get both! you can sell the one you don't like later. there'll be plenty of buyers waiting!

Good counsel...if you can bear the wait! Maybe get something else to tie you over. And good point about battery life as a consideration.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

well for me the most important real life factor is the battery life. granted i'm a more careless person and forget to turn off the amp sometimes. using the reference, i don't have to worry about that because one full charge can last me 2 months, whereas with the micro, i'd have to charge the batteries every other week...

what batteries were you using in micro?

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Eneloops are great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

If i decided to buy the micro as well as the reference, could i just append it on to my current order or would the order be sent back to the end of the cue so to speak?

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i decided to buy the micro as well as the reference, could i just append it on to my current order or would the order be sent back to the end of the cue so to speak?

well this is what i did, as per my sig, ordered the ref 2mths ago and then ordered the SMIV recently, and i never assumed for one minute they would be linked.

AFAIK they will be treated as separate entitities and one will not be rushed/timed to be with the other one.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Place the order and then email Xin with both order numbers and tell him you would like them together. What then happens will be up to Xin's descretion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back