ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Feb 2, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #722 of 1,288
I wonder if it can overdamp the diaphragm?

I imagine is like the head of a snare drum when stock, vs if you sprayed a layer of rubberized underbody coating or Plastidip on the surface. It would still sound like a snare drum, only ‘different’. Which one would sound better? Not sure. I’m sure in some cases the coated one would sound better. But I imagine that in most cases the coated one would sound worse.

The coating would affect the surface of the drum head in many ways (good or bad) - the speed of wave propagation, attack, decay, tonality, material frequency, etc.

I’m not a materials engineer, but I do know that dampening (not just in the audio world) is on a case by case basis. In many cases it can make a world of difference in dealing with unwanted resonances (such as with a suspension bridge or insulating a vehicle from road noise). And in other cases it can be detrimental.

If I had to make an educated guess, then yes I would say that most spray coatings on top of the bare diaphragm would over dampen the diaphragm.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #723 of 1,288
I imagine is like the head of a snare drum when stock, vs if you sprayed a layer of rubberized underbody coating or Plastidip on the surface. It would still sound like a snare drum, only ‘different’. Which one would sound better? Not sure. I’m sure in some cases the coated one would sound better. But I imagine that in most cases the coated one would sound worse.

The coating would affect the surface of the drum head in many ways (good or bad) - the speed of wave propagation, attack, decay, tonality, material frequency, etc.

I’m not a materials engineer, but I do know that dampening (not just in the audio world) is on a case by case basis. In many cases it can make a world of difference in dealing with unwanted resonances (such as with a suspension bridge or insulating a vehicle from road noise). And in other cases it can be detrimental.

If I had to make an educated guess, then yes I would say that most spray coatings on top of the bare diaphragm would over dampen the diaphragm.

Speakers aren’t a well reasoned analogy with a drum head. I struggle with any kind of relationship other than sound propagation. A drum, or any analog instrument, is not interested in FRFR sound reproduction. E.g. added rigidity is undesirable; and distortion is not a concern.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #725 of 1,288
Speakers aren’t a well reasoned analogy with a drum head. I struggle with any kind of relationship other than sound propagation. A drum, or any analog instrument, is not interested in FRFR sound reproduction. E.g. added rigidity is undesirable; and distortion is not a concern.

We need the review from Max and while his taste differs to my own I still think he can do a reasonably good review with some tangeble information.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #727 of 1,288
We need the review from Max and while his taste differs to my own I still think he can do a reasonably good review with some tangeble information.
In due time though. I'm happy to see more reviews trickle in, but as other users have pointed out, a comparison with a wireless headphone would be nice to see, so him postponing a review in hopes of being able to compare to another BT model is a good reason to delay a review.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #731 of 1,288
Whilst we're waiting on the headphones, has anyone tried Amazon Music HD? My collection of physical CDs is limited (comes from growing up on a different continent to the one I now inhabit), and I'm wondering if treating myself to a HD streaming service would not be a bad pairing with new cans that should be able to take advantage of it, once they arrive..

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #732 of 1,288
Whilst we're waiting on the headphones, has anyone tried Amazon Music HD? My collection of physical CDs is limited (comes from gorwing up on a different continent to the one I now inhabit), and I'm wondering if treating myself to a HD streaming service would not be a bad pairing with new cans that should be able to take advantage of it, once they arrive..

Yeah but I have a super different use case. I generally listen to gobs of EDM which is constantly full of new jams and whatnot. So I actually subscribe to both Spotify and Tidal for discovery and quality, respectively. I really wish Spotify would just go lossless as an option but it is what it is.

So anyway, I use Soundiiz to sync playlists and AmazonHD doesn't have an API that allows create/delete by apps like Soundiiz, so I can't use it.

The software interface was so-so (forward/backward slider in tracks was often horrendous on iOS). Discovery was super weak. The sound was pretty great.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #733 of 1,288
Yeah but I have a super different use case. I generally listen to gobs of EDM which is constantly full of new jams and whatnot. So I actually subscribe to both Spotify and Tidal for discovery and quality, respectively. I really wish Spotify would just go lossless as an option but it is what it is.

So anyway, I use Soundiiz to sync playlists and AmazonHD doesn't have an API that allows create/delete by apps like Soundiiz, so I can't use it.

The software interface was so-so (forward/backward slider in tracks was often horrendous on iOS). Discovery was super weak. The sound was pretty great.

Cheers - informative. I agree the iOS app is rather horrible, but fortunately for me the Android one is rather better! I'm only likely to use a single streaming service just due to minimising cost, and Amazon HD works out around half the price of Tidal with the yearly option. So if the sound quality is good, then I'll given them a try. Gobs of EDM is often one of my go-to genres as well - I'm currently tracking down old React albums on eBay - but I'll browse through anything as it grabs me. The Playfest Korra suite has been a staple for years now.

On a related query - I've seen several places bashing Youtube audio, but depending on the uploader I find that some music on Youtube actually sounds crisper and cleaner that standard streaming, at least to my untutored ears. Just me?

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #734 of 1,288
On a related query - I've seen several places bashing Youtube audio, but depending on the uploader I find that some music on Youtube actually sounds crisper and cleaner that standard streaming, at least to my untutored ears. Just me?

Youtube is heavily compressed. Some uploading is better than others.

Compression can help some recordings sound more pleasing if they’re poorly mastered. By taking the sharpness off things like overly hot cymbals etc

I listen to YouTube live concerts all the time and actually subscribe to YouTube just to that I can do so both at hone without commercials and on my phone with the screen off and the audio playing like an MP3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back