ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Apr 3, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #316 of 1,288
No new info on headphones :

"After Ora’s launch, Szkopek turned his sights to another challenge. He and electrical engineering Ph.D. student Ibrahim Fakih began to explore the potential of graphene’s electronic properties to design and develop a large area, graphene-based field effect transistor for high-precision sensing of ions in water."

Future Ready: The Graphene Innovators
McGill's Thomas Szkopek has fostered a research environment at McGill focused on finding the most innovative uses for a wonder material.

https://mcgill.ca/research/article/future-ready-graphene-innovators

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #317 of 1,288
No new info on headphones :

"After Ora’s launch, Szkopek turned his sights to another challenge. He and electrical engineering Ph.D. student Ibrahim Fakih began to explore the potential of graphene’s electronic properties to design and develop a large area, graphene-based field effect transistor for high-precision sensing of ions in water."

Future Ready: The Graphene Innovators
McGill's Thomas Szkopek has fostered a research environment at McGill focused on finding the most innovative uses for a wonder material.

https://mcgill.ca/research/article/future-ready-graphene-innovators
There have only been those biweekly updates on the KS page. Some good news, mostly bad news regarding delays, but at least they write down reasons as opposed to some campaigns I've seen that just say it's delayed and don't elaborate. Unfortunate, but I can't say I didn't see this coming. I support KS projects that are cool and this is certainly one of them, but I always consider extreme delays and failure of delivery to be possible results. Never expect a KS campaign to be delivered on time. Feels like a year late is pretty much the norm. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #319 of 1,288
Very interesting update about the frequency response, I share similar views on this matter too and think it has a very promissing looking frequency curve and I especially hope this isn't just a marketing thing but the treble response characteristics of the graphene driver actually produces a more smooth treble response, that would be huge. The more I read about it the more convinced I become that this headphone I think will sound amazing and punch above its price, it follows roughly the kind of curve I would personally aim for if I was in the position to be able to develop a headphone, if my goal was to make it as balanced sounding as possible, I think this is roughly the kind of response I'd think would achieve that goal so it's interesting to follow this headphone and ultimately being able to test it myself as I signed up as a backer

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #320 of 1,288
Wow yeah that’s pretty much my takeaway too. Lately I’ve been saying that without the right frequency response, a headphone is not going to do it for me no matter the imaging or soundstage.

I’m really excited to try these.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #322 of 1,288
When this shows up (hopefully in August when they now list it in the schedule), I will ABSOLUTELY........wait probably another couple of months before doing prolonged listened sessions. It'll be hot, I won't want to put on over-ear headphones :p

That’s when it’s coldest indoors for us here in Texas where office buildings overcompensate and I have to double sock my feet and keep a jacket in the office to not freeze. :D

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #323 of 1,288
Hi Ora team, curious about the licensing side of the business. Are there other graphaneQ audio products in the pipeline from partner companies?

Will you have a requirement that companies list your driver materials in the specs sheet?

Also, will you be doing an IEM?

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #324 of 1,288
Hi Ora team, curious about the licensing side of the business. Are there other graphaneQ audio products in the pipeline from partner companies?

Will you have a requirement that companies list your driver materials in the specs sheet?

Also, will you be doing an IEM?

We are definitely in talks with a few companies but we want to bring our headphones to market before we supply drivers to anyone else. We are hoping for an intel "Ora inside" style co-branding but it will probably vary from company to company.

As far as an IEM, I expect we would do a 50mm driver or an open-ear headphone before getting into IEMs.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #326 of 1,288
We are definitely in talks with a few companies but we want to bring our headphones to market before we supply drivers to anyone else. We are hoping for an intel "Ora inside" style co-branding but it will probably vary from company to company.

As far as an IEM, I expect we would do a 50mm driver or an open-ear headphone before getting into IEMs.

One can do - DIY Contest?

FUJIYA AVIC x FOSTER Alliance Program “The first project,“ Headphones and earphones self-made contest ”held!

https://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=46194

May 1, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #327 of 1,288
New time line in the latest update - it looks like late August or early September arrival for the headphones now. It's good to see the care being taken with these headphones by Ora, rather than just rushing them out the door to appease funders & focusing on the licencing deals which is where the major money would probably be.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #328 of 1,288
New time lin the latest update - it looks like late August or early September arrival for the headphones now. It's good to see the care being taken with these headphones by Ora, rather than just rushing them out the door to appease funders & focusing on the licencing deals which is where the major money would probably be.

Agreed.

I don’t want them until they’re right, even if that means another 6 months.

I have loads of other gear to listen to in the mean time.

May 1, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #330 of 1,288
Frankly, I never expected these to be done on the original KS timeline. Year and a half late? Par for the course on KS. At least they're using the delays to make the product they envisioned, not just sending out a product that doesn't meet half of the things they promise. Do I wish they could've been done a year ago? Or be ready for delivery next month? Yeah! Do I mind waiting probably another 5+ months to get them based on the current timeline? Nah. This project's timeline delays wouldn't piss me off until someone else makes either a headphone or an IEM with a driver made almost completely with graphene and I haven't seen any of those floating around yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back