ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #243 of 1,288
Ok ORA,

Since ur update jst 2day ? 4 U bout the delay
Since the new time line 4delivry is min 6-9 months+ is it not possble to add LDAC as an option as ths gives u plenty of time 2implemnt ths option 4many that would actully prefr the highr LDAC sq vs aptx HD whch u said in ur previus update as the option u’ve dcided 2go wth.
In light of the fact u said it’ll take 2 mnths+ 4u2 source the Qualcomm aptly HD chipset, the ultimate delay of ovr 1/2 yr should allow LDAC option 2b offerd us.

Regards,
Mgt be a gd ida. Wndr wts csng ths dly? Myb cnt gt t prts?

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #246 of 1,288

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 13.44.36.png

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #249 of 1,288
Delay I am ok.

Wished they had time to check out the way that EarStudio ES100 does their thing with wireless, etc.
Firmware updates...now includes LDAC support.
Full Balanced, android app, etc.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #250 of 1,288
I was just checking the status of this project, and I was digging into their "patent." Apparently, they do not have a patent, just a patent application filed. Under U.S. law, falsely marking a product as PATENTED is considered intent to deceive the public.

Ora sounds does cite U.S. patents 7,914,844 and 8,709,213. However, those are patents granted to Sonbinh T. Nguyen at Nortwestern which were filed in 2005 and 2007, respectively. Well before the 2014 Graphene Transducer research of 2014. Further, the Nguyen patents were filed with grants from the U.S. gov't.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #251 of 1,288
I was just checking the status of this project, and I was digging into their "patent." Apparently, they do not have a patent, just a patent application filed. Under U.S. law, falsely marking a product as PATENTED is considered intent to deceive the public.

Ora sounds does cite U.S. patents 7,914,844 and 8,709,213. However, those are patents granted to Sonbinh T. Nguyen at Nortwestern which were filed in 2005 and 2007, respectively. Well before the 2014 Graphene Transducer research of 2014. Further, the Nguyen patents were filed with grants from the U.S. gov't.

Nowadays, it can take up to 2 or more years to get a patent granted from the time it is filed. We have Apple, Google, and big pharma and other mega corporations to thank for that, who single handledly file thousands of patents a year (clogging up the patent process).

It is 100% legal to advertise a product as patent pending once an application has been filed.

I am familiar with these things because I have filed patents and trademarks myself, as well as having worked for numerous IP attorneys.

Besides, they may have patents other than what is listed on their website that you may be totally unaware of. They could be in connection with individuals vs Ora themselves, or 100% legally licensed patents from other parties (and thus they can legally advertise all they want something is “patented”). They could also have patents granted in countries other than the US.

I would strongly recommend you think twice before publicly implying that Ora is out to purposely deceive people. You may very well find yourself in legal trouble. Everyone is so sue happy these days.

Basically, I’m sure they are well aware of their legal IP. Any violations of federal IP law is their responsibility, and between them and the USPTO (not the Internet Police).

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #252 of 1,288
Ah yes, PATENT PENDING is one thing. PATENTED is another. They do not have a patent for their transducer. They do no have a granted patent in other countries as well.

Nguyen has two patents for a graphene laminate, which could be the basis for the GrapheneQ material. See

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7914844B2/en?oq=7,914,844
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8709213B2/en?oq=8,709,213
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170251318A1/en?oq=US20170251318A1

"The GQ Headphones come equipped with ORA’s patented GrapheneQ™ membranes"

Ora may license the patent from Northwestern, but it is not their patent. The inventor may work for Ora, but the patent is owned by Northwestern and the U.S. govt.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #254 of 1,288
Ah yes, PATENT PENDING is one thing. PATENTED is another. They do not have a patent for their transducer. They do no have a granted patent in other countries as well.

Nguyen has two patents for a graphene laminate, which could be the basis for the GrapheneQ material. See

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7914844B2/en?oq=7,914,844
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8709213B2/en?oq=8,709,213
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170251318A1/en?oq=US20170251318A1

"The GQ Headphones come equipped with ORA’s patented GrapheneQ™ membranes"

Ora may license the patent from Northwestern, but it is not their patent. The inventor may work for Ora, but the patent is owned by Northwestern and the U.S. govt.

For all you know, Nguyen is a part owner or a major shareholder. Or he/she could be an angel investor or silent partner. My uncle patented all sorts of stuff when he was a professor and Alzheimer’s researcher at Ohio State. He licensed loads of it to pharmaceutical and medical companies. That’s how inventions and patents work. Individual companies aren’t always the ones that directly invent every idea that’s patented, but they are the ones that bring products to market that use 1 or more licensed patents.

I mean, I’m not even sure what you’re even implying here. Are you trying to inply that Ora was too dumb to think up their own technology, so they licensed it from someone else? Or that is somehow illegal? You do understand how capitalism and IP works, right? I can’t imagine what Ora could have done wrong in your eyes.

Are you just trolling, or are you an actual paid crowdfunding backer, or what? It’s just a minor grammatical distinction. I’m sure the person that wrote the marketing copy on their website wasn’t an IP attorney. I see no legal issue with what they wrote, but you are free to file a violation complaint with the USPTO if you feel they broke a federal law. If you do, you better come up with a heck of a lot stronger case than simply a minor rewording of the grammar of a sentence or 2 on their website. The USPTO takes violation complaints very seriously, and does not take kindly to frivolous complaints or claims.

Since you don’t know the internal relationships of their privately held company, nor the status of their legal IP, and they DO, they can write whatever the heck they want (which is ultimately their legal responsibility to worry about, not yours). It’s a free country, so you are free to file your own patents, create your own company, and build your own website where you can use whatever grammar you wish. Or you could always purchase Ora yourself - then you’d be free to make any changes you saw fit.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #255 of 1,288
For all you know, Nguyen is a part owner or a major shareholder. Or he/she could be an angel investor or silent partner.

I mean, I’m not even sure what you’re even implying here. Are you trying to inply that Ora was too dumb to think up their own technology, so they licensed it from someone else?

You do know how capitalism works, right? I can’t imagine what they could have done wrong in your eyes.

Are you just trolling, or are you an actual paid crowdfunding backer, or what? It’s just a minor grammatical distinction. I’m sure the person that wrote the marketing copy on their website wasn’t an IP attorney.

Since you don’t know the internal relationships of their privately held company, nor the status of their legal IP, and they DO, I would say they can write whatever the heck they want.

Slater:

I agree 100%, you/He can google all he wants as much is boardroom hush hush for these kinds of things for obvious reason.

The fact from what I’ve read on ORA’s Own website & related business/investor/tech people on board, is the Northwestern & likely person in question he’s mentioning Ngyuen, are on the ORA Board as members collaborating & contributing their wherewithal to this product etc!

So I’ve no problem with how ORA has stated whatever they’ve done!

By the looks of it there a quite a few highly educated skilled & far more brilliant minds there than Mr Hashish to imply they are so stupid or ignorant as not to have taken into consideration what he is implying!

Get a life!

If you are not a backer then what you’re going on about it not relevant as the members that joined the board & this project are far more credible than you making such statements for goodie points!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back