ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Jan 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #121 of 1,288
Ehhh there was a light December update on the Kickstarter. Not worth linking from Mobile. seems like things are going well but they haven't mentioned much about production which makes me a little concerned about the March timeline.

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #122 of 1,288
Ehhh there was a light December update on the Kickstarter. Not worth linking from Mobile. seems like things are going well but they haven't mentioned much about production which makes me a little concerned about the March timeline.
I'm really hoping that their January update (as long as they stick to the monthly update commitment) is substantial. I wouldn't say that their lack of something for December gives me concern for their timeline, but actually something that was brought up in another campaign: Chinese New Year. Creators of a different campaign I'm backing on Kickstarter said that they had to push back their fulfillment date (also in the March/April months) for 2 reasons: a new design integration and CNY, stating that while CNY is only a week, it essentially shuts down their suppliers' production for 2-3 weeks. With the original projected date of the GQs to be March and their production in China, I wonder if CNY will have the same effect on production as the other KS campaign I'm on.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #124 of 1,288
Update - ORA GQs will begin shipping in August

What this actually means is that they won't begin shipping before August. Although I did not in the end become a backer of these I'm very keen for news so I hope they nail this ... the reasons for the delay seem credible.

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #126 of 1,288
Yeah I'm not nearly as troubled by the news as most of the backer comments. It was a very thorough update on progress. Product development often encounters delays an kickstarters typically haven't shipped a product before so. I feel ORA is on a good path and am happy to have backed them. The product keeps looking better and better as well, so there's that.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #127 of 1,288
Yeah I'm not nearly as troubled by the news as most of the backer comments. It was a very thorough update on progress. Product development often encounters delays an kickstarters typically haven't shipped a product before so. I feel ORA is on a good path and am happy to have backed them. The product keeps looking better and better as well, so there's that.
Ditto. Yeah sure, I would love for them to deliver it in March or April, but a delay was totally expected. I just assume anything I kickstart is going to be delayed. And with the detail and proposed timelines, I don't see any reason to be doubting their ability to provide a solid product.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #128 of 1,288
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #129 of 1,288
Maybe you should stop kickstarting stuff for a while...:ksc75smile:
I have....solely due to lack of money to do more kickstarting :D. But there's a reason it's just the default expectation for me: I've seen very few KS projects deliver on-time (I'm usually on larger ones which is probably why). There's a study by CNN from a bit over 5 years ago on delivery time of the top 50 most funded projects at the time, but I imagine that average hasn't changed much. They found a large majority of highly funded projects are delayed for one reason or another.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/technology/innovation/kickstarter-ship-delay

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #130 of 1,288
I have....solely due to lack of money to do more kickstarting :D. But there's a reason it's just the default expectation for me: I've seen very few KS projects deliver on-time (I'm usually on larger ones which is probably why). There's a study by CNN from a bit over 5 years ago on delivery time of the top 50 most funded projects at the time, but I imagine that average hasn't changed much. They found a large majority of highly funded projects are delayed for one reason or another.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/technology/innovation/kickstarter-ship-delay
On a slightly more serious note, I believe not only that a (reasonable) delay is to be expected, but also desirable, in the sense that I think it is better to wait that extra month or two to give the manufacturer time to properly adjust the production process, implement quality control etc. rather then hurry to ship on time a product that doesn't yet meet the standard it's designed for. Just my old two cents.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #131 of 1,288
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #132 of 1,288
I have no problem even waiting for a year from now if they use the new - QCC5100 series: she has Bluetooth 5 dual-mode radio, low power audio and application subsystems, and integrated active noise cancellation (ANC) built in.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea...kthrough-low-power-bluetooth-audio-soc-series
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/239948/qualcomm-qcc5100-bluetooth-audio-soc-ces-2018.html
Cover the remainder of the stretch goals, maybe they'll implement it and also give us an all black colorway.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #134 of 1,288
It's unfortunately really common with kickstarters, especially with video game kickstarters, for any delay to be met with backlash

I'm hoping they might have demo units for events like canjam in the future

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #135 of 1,288
It's unfortunately really common with kickstarters, especially with video game kickstarters, for any delay to be met with backlash

I'm hoping they might have demo units for events like canjam in the future

I know this will sound like a bitter old man, but that's because we live in an I WANT IT NOW society nowadays. You want to get a hold of someone NOW, you text them or call their cell phone. Want to know information, you fire up Google and the world's information is available NOW. You want directions NOW, you pull up Google maps on your phone.

It's become an expectation to have everything NOW, not a luxury or nicety.

When I was growing up, if you wanted to know something you went to your local library and looked up a book in the card catalog, then went and found the book on the stacks (or looked it up in a set of encyclopedias, usually that were years out of date). You wanted directions? You pulled over and asked at the nearest gas station or looked it up on an Atlas you kept in your trunk. You wanted to write someone? You wrote a letter and waited for the post office to deliver it. You wanted to call someone? You called them and if the line was busy you tried again later (and if they had an answering machine you left a message and they called you back later that night).

Basically we've become so spoiled everything is GIMME GIMME GIMME NOW NOW NOW. It's the sad reality that it's like this nowadays. I try teaching my teenage daughter that "patience is a virtue" but she just laughs and makes some comment about how old I am.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back