OPUS DAC pics needed
Oct 4, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I ment for DIY projects in general, but I did notice that about the Opus boards, and that does make it look easy.

You have a JT mounted in your Opus? Is the Opus bundled in with an amp?

No seperate...so essentially it will be one box with the DAC and a JT...there's a switch so I can have the opus go through the JT or I can bypass it...so like a fixed and variable output option.

I get the static even without the JT hooked up to the DAC.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I just cased up my Opus DAC and JT last night and I'm still getting some static in both channels...it's gets louder with an increase in volume and is a bit present without music playing, but goes away when I unplug the SPDIF cable. I'm going to check my power strip since it's been a bit wonky, but I had this issue before as well.

Any ideas?

Everything is hooked up correctly, I've checked and double checked and I'm pretty sure all the jumper are set correctly.

Do you have the same noise with and without the JT? Our support forum might be a better place to answer this.

[EDIT] Beat me to it there...

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No seperate...so essentially it will be one box with the DAC and a JT...there's a switch so I can have the opus go through the JT or I can bypass it...so like a fixed and variable output option.

I get the static even without the JT hooked up to the DAC.

That sounds like a cool option. I had a Mission CDP once with a fixed and variable output. It was fantastic for driving my active speakers directly!

I'm sure you'll find the solution to your static problem, but I'm no help at all there.
icon10.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #34 of 55
The OPUS seems like a fantastic project, and I believe that it would be a terrific match for the B22 I am just about to build.

I am now trying to understand how it all fits together.

The single DAC picture attached by Brian above is clear. But, I would use the USB Receiver Module in place of the S/PDIF Receiver Module. All good so far. (To help me understand the layout I drew an almost identical picture to Brian's above only hours before he published this one - works for me).

The question I have is about the power supplies. I gather that I need a split rail for the DAC, and a single rail for the "Ballsie". Is this correct so far?

Does this mean that I need two power inlets into the case, one for each PS? Are there other options to supply power to two transformers from one power inlet?

Cheers

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #35 of 55
The USB module is bus powered (from USB interface) no so power supply is needed for it.

Here's a diagram for powering the DAC and Ballsie. The DAC needs a single or dual supply, not a split rail supply. The Ballsie needs a split rail supply. Our dual supply, formerly LCPS, is now called LCDPS (low current dual power supply) and the split rail supply (formerly LCDS) is now called LCBPS (low current bipolar supply).

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs...allsie_pwr.jpg

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #36 of 55
While not optimal, I _can_ still use the split rail psu to power the DAC, or no?

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While not optimal, I _can_ still use the split rail psu to power the DAC, or no?

Yes, just use the Red and Green wires from the diagram (+ and GND).

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We just got word that the new boards will be in Wednesday or Thursday of next week. So about two weeks or so from then.

Cue up the frenzy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Yes, just use the Red and Green wires from the diagram (+ and GND).

And, adjust to 7.5v, or does it much matter somewhere between there and 15v (upper range of the psu)?

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

The USB module is bus powered (from USB interface) no so power supply is needed for it.

Here's a diagram for powering the DAC and Ballsie. The DAC needs a single or dual supply, not a split rail supply. The Ballsie needs a split rail supply. Our dual supply, formerly LCPS, is now called LCDPS (low current dual power supply) and the split rail supply (formerly LCDS) is now called LCBPS (low current bipolar supply).

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs...allsie_pwr.jpg

Thanks for that. Once again, the diagram helps immensely. Like the OP, I am a visual person.

The second part of my issue relates to the transformers. It would seem that I would need two transformers. Is that correct?

If so, does this mean that I need two power inlets into the case, one for each of the transformers? Are there other options to supply power to two transformers from one power inlet?

cheers

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there other options to supply power to two transformers from one power inlet?

i would connect the two transformers in parallel.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #45 of 55
n/m - rtfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back