OPUS DAC pics needed
Oct 3, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the orange? that's a digital coax from bjc

I dont think he meant the orange connector cable on the back, but the internal wiring. I dont think thats coax cable but maybe Kapton insulated wire.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the orange? that's a digital coax from bjc

strange that's it's going to the front panel LED
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 55
Yes, that's what the mysterious orange cabling is, haha. It's 24awg shielded kapton insulated cable from navships on ebay.

Thanks for the suggestion, luvdunhill, and everyone else for any compliments (i need to do some cleaning up once I wire the optical input in again).

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brian, thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm at about $650 in parts thus far, so don't want to cluster this up... just wonder if I really need the LCPS, or if the two Dual PSU will get me there, especially as they each have a dedicated toroid?

I'll take more complete pics of mine in the coming days, but for those playing along at home, this is where I am now (except the S/PDIF receiver)

FrankenMaxx.

Oh, and I hace RCA and XLR in - just adding complexity.

That's a FrankenMAX alright! Can't wait to see you catch the lightning, throw the switch, and scream, "It's alive!"
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a big freakin' DAC, once again proving the "don't mess w/ Texas" theory.
biggrin.gif

if you're referring to pabbi1's (which i assume you are, given the texas comment), then you know that's not all DAC, right? it's a balanced MAX cased up with an Opus DAC + a couple of the optional daughter boards.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're referring to pabbi1's (which i assume you are, given the texas comment), then you know that's not all DAC, right? it's a balanced MAX cased up with an Opus DAC + a couple of the optional daughter boards.

Nope, I was referring to swt's dac that's being built by fierce_freak. That's pretty much all DAC in that build and it's a BEAST!

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #25 of 55
Oct 4, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 55
Yeah very nice diagrams! Even a goober like me could follow that. Now if I could only get some soldering lessons.
This all looks like great fun, and a fantastic way to spend my evenings, I'm just not sure where or how to jump in.
I guess a good soldering station might be a good start. Maybe one that's expensive enough to motivate my learning to use it.
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #29 of 55
You know I just cased up my Opus DAC and JT last night and I'm still getting some static in both channels...it's gets louder with an increase in volume and is a bit present without music playing, but goes away when I unplug the SPDIF cable. I'm going to check my power strip since it's been a bit wonky, but I had this issue before as well.

Any ideas?

Everything is hooked up correctly, I've checked and double checked and I'm pretty sure all the jumper are set correctly.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the boards all have screw-type terminal blocks, so as long as you can use a screw driver...
wink.gif

Yeah, I ment for DIY projects in general, but I did notice that about the Opus boards, and that does make it look easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I just cased up my Opus DAC and JT last night and I'm still getting some static in both channels...it's gets louder with an increase in volume and is a bit present without music playing, but goes away when I unplug the SPDIF cable. I'm going to check my power strip since it's been a bit wonky, but I had this issue before as well.

Any ideas?

Everything is hooked up correctly, I've checked and double checked and I'm pretty sure all the jumper are set correctly.

You have a JT mounted in your Opus? Is the Opus bundled in with an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back