Options with Crossfeed for Stax?
Feb 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 15
All the software cross feed I've used makes everything sound muddy and gross.
not worth it, IMO

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. So there are no electrostat amps with crossfeed? I already have a DAC.

None to my knowledge.

On one of my Stat setups I use the Meier Stagedac but I find that it depends on the quality of the recording (the higher quality the better, and never with loudness war/compressed recordings) that I'll sometimes use the headphone crossfeed.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the software cross feed I've used makes everything sound muddy and gross.
not worth it, IMO

Same for the hardware crossfeeds I have used
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 15
I've never come across a song where the soundstage was improved with sound stage.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 15
To my knowledge there are no electrostatic energizers out there with crossfeed control.
Hence you may need to do it on source level. Software on computer, DAC, or like.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 15
Get or build a standalone crossfeed unit that sits between your source and amp.

If you can find a used Corda Cross-I (sadly, out of production) pick it up.

I built one several years back and find it immensely useful. Crossfeed isn't for everyone, but it really helps some of us.

Dr. Meier still has the schematics up for the Cross-I. You could DIY one or commission a builder to put one together.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm on a mac, and the crossfeed plugs i have tried degrade the audio quality. Standalone crossfeed unit is my only option i guess.. or just skip the electrostats and go for dynamics with a nice amp w/ crossfeed.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on a mac, and the crossfeed plugs i have tried degrade the audio quality. Standalone crossfeed unit is my only option i guess.. or just skip the electrostats and go for dynamics with a nice amp w/ crossfeed.

Even the best hardware units will have an impact on the audio quality.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the best hardware units will have an impact on the audio quality.

Right. I think it degraded the audio more than analog crossfeeds I have heard.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 15
I just recently built a Modified Linkwitz crossfeed, using a PCB kit I got from Tangent: Modified Linkwitz Crossfeed PCB

It's high Z and sits between my source and amp - using the low crossfeed level, I find it doesnt affect the high freq too much, widens the soundstage, and helps me with listening fatigue with certain material which is the main reason I built it. It's a subtle change but after a few weeks of trying it out I now use it most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back