Optical digital audio output for Mac discontinued - solutions?
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 25
Have this and served me very well: Singxer F1. Bit on the expensive side since it has USB isolation, Crystek Femto reclock, and CPLD shaping.
ABUIABACGAAglsO4_QUoyYDL2AQwoAY4oAY.jpg
ABUIABACGAAgx4TFtwUopue-xgQwoAY4wwY.jpg

Available at ShenzenAudio or Kitsune

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 25
Anything Non-AliExpress that does the job IMO. There's a recent headline why are so many young people getting Cancer these days. Please be careful what you let in your household.

I posted Reddit links about headphones and electronics w/ Cancer issues in another thread. I liken it to like Fetanyl. But Reddit sub-reddits are blacked out ATM.

The way I see things is a NUC with optical is $400, spread out over 10 years that's $40 / year. When you buy these cheap goods, you need to replace every two years. So you buy some cheap knock off that's $40 that's $20 a year. Over ten years, that's a good $100 over a decade.

But this NUC solution is too complicated. A Western brand may need replacing three times over ten years. There's nothing quality we are offering to the THREAD_STARTER, they are all bandage solutions. Apple put loyal users in a bind. Maybe a modern DAC makes more sense if it starts to become too much.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #20 of 25
I just remembered another possibility. I haven't looked into Computer Monitors or Televisions for decades since I've been overseas in that time. But I remember some Computer Monitors or Televisions have Toslink Output.

So if you purchase a Mac Mini, Mac Studio or Mac Pro with HDMI output, you should be able to get a digital signal via HDMI from Mac Hardware then feed your old legacy DAC from a Computer Monitor / Television via Toslink OUT. You may need to enable Toslink in the Computer Monitor / Television settings.

I believe this is similar to Apple TV | HDMI | Television with Toslink | Toslink | Home Theatre System. Again, been overseas so I haven't built a Home Theatre System for decades but I would think this is how some would architect, even in 2023.

I can't confirm if this works since I don't use Mac Hardware, only MacOS Software.

Note: You need to be comfortable with purchasing non-proprietary non-Apple HW (Computer Monitor / Television). Apple won't have a external monitor option.

I'm sure some place like Best Buy would be happy to try this out for you since they have both Apple HW and Computer Monitors / Televisions.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #25 of 25
One option would be to purchase a 2014 Mac Mini or 2015 iMac. The downside is that you would be locked into the Monterey operating system. Obviously, it would be slower than a newer computer. Judging by the fact you are still rocking a 2008... I'm guessing that's not an issue. That involves the least amount of disruption to your current system and doesn't involve adding any converting devices. Might be the cheapest option too--the price difference between an older Mac compared to new is significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back