Optical digital audio output for Mac discontinued - solutions?
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nyetjones

New Head-Fier
Hi all - I have a 2008 iMac with a SPID/F digital optical output embedded in the headphone jack. I have a cable that connects that directly to my DAC and everything works great. However, my computer is in its death throes so I’d like to get a Mac desktop to replace it.

However, Mac discontinued the SPID/F digital optical output. I love my DAC and don’t want to replace it, but it really only takes coax or SPID/F. No USB-in, in other words.

Is there an easy fix to this? I have seen some USB-optical converters that i suppose I could daisy chain, but I don’t know if that would cause issues. Anyone familiar with this situation?

Thanks!
Nate

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 25
What's your budget? There's the Matrix X-SPDIF which should be under $300 used.

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 25
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 25
That is a DAC itself though, right? I’m just looking for something that could essentially relay the digital signal. Basically computer > usb > [x?] > tounk > DAC
It's more of a DDC. I've not owned this one but @DenverW does. I have the Audio GD DI20HE which serves the same function--have also had the Denafrips Iris. These should clean the usb source up, not color it.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 25
I had an iris myself, but as I was using it with i2s output I had some trouble getting it to work in conjunction with my dac so I switched to the matrix x, and that worked like a charm. When I switched dacs I've moved over to the coax output which works just as well. It's essentially usb in with multiple options for output, such as toslink. Easy peasy. I can't say I hear obvious differences, but others mention improvement, and I need it as some dacs don't "wake" and get recognized via windows when I turn on the PC.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 25
That is a DAC itself though, right? I’m just looking for something that could essentially relay the digital signal. Basically computer > usb > [x?] > tounk > DAC
its a dac and ddc in one it offers analogue output over chinch and digital output over spdif(coax&toslink)
input is just usb

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 25
Hi all - I have a 2008 iMac with a SPID/F digital optical output embedded in the headphone jack. I have a cable that connects that directly to my DAC and everything works great. However, my computer is in its death throes so I’d like to get a Mac desktop to replace it.

However, Mac discontinued the SPID/F digital optical output. I love my DAC and don’t want to replace it, but it really only takes coax or SPID/F. No USB-in, in other words.

Is there an easy fix to this? I have seen some USB-optical converters that i suppose I could daisy chain, but I don’t know if that would cause issues. Anyone familiar with this situation?

Thanks!
Nate

DISCLAIMER: I stay away from anything AliExpress, so please do your due diligence. In California, we have Cancer Warnings for products but they can't cover every product. I would not trust the chemicals in any AliExpress Audio products. I'm also not a MAC hipster, so I am not very familiar with MAC hardware.

If you just want a simple solution, I was hoping to recommend a OWC dock but I could not find one with TOSLINK. OWC had TOSLINK a few years back.

I found a few others (Again, please do your due diligence. I'm not familiar with MAC hardware. Not sure if AliExpress products.):

[External Link] BHPhoto

61jkjWzWBUL._AC_SL1028_.jpg

If you want a complex solution, specific Intel NUCs have TOSLINK and specific Intel NUCS you can install MacOS.

For example, this model has TOSLINK under I/O Specifications:

[External Link] Intel

I have successfully installed MacOS on NUCs without a hitch, but never one with TOSLINK so I cannot confirm TOSLINK would work.

But if you can get it working it should last a good decade. A side benefit is you can install your own RAM. Apacer RAM in NUCs +SQ benefits. Another is you can power a NUC off batteries +SQ benefits.

It's a huge risk though. Just throwing it out there to exhaust options. I took a quick glance at Mac Studio and Mac Mini and didn't see TOSLINK anywhere.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 25
If you want a complex solution, specific Intel NUCs have TOSLINK and specific Intel NUCS you can install MacOS.
pc toslinks usually have pretty bad jitter performance

in this specific case you will have more luck with a raspberry pi and a hat

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 25
pc toslinks usually have pretty bad jitter performance

in this specific case you will have more luck with a raspberry pi and a hat

But why, the use case is that he loves his DAC and his chain. His source (PC) is breaking down. This is not about jitter and not everything is about feeding a modern FPGA DAC with the latest and greatest DDC or Raspberry Pi chain. This is about extending the lovefest.

Maybe he has mission critical MacOS Apps he wants to continue using. His ideal would be to upgrade the 2008 iMac to a modern Mac. If a 2023 iMac had TOSLINK OUT, jitter would not be the slightest concern. So whether you use an iMac w/ TOSLINK, Macbook w/ TOSLINK, Mac Dock w/ TOSLINK or MacOS on Intel w/ TOSLINK the variance of jitter should be quite similar. Again, we are not trying to feed a CHORD DAVE. We are trying to extend a legacy system that he has been using for at least 15 years. If you can extend that for another decade without modern audio upgrades that's a WIN-WIN. Also, USB Conversion to TOSLINK adds another layer of complexity. If we went back in a Time Machine to 2008, what would be optimal? Maybe buy a duplicate iMac? Learning Curve for Raspberry Pi is at least six months for someone coming from Mac, then you have to deal with the Supply Chain issues of Raspberry Pi...

So:
  1. Replace MacOS with MacOS PC w/ TOSLINK
  2. MacOS Dock w/ TOSLINK
  3. USB to TOSLINK. Again, if your USB input has it's own clocks then your TOSLINK has it's own clocks, doesn't that complicate more? But USB to TOSLINK is an option.
  4. Raspberry Pi w/ HAT. Level of complexity that may not be worth the effort unless you have a modern FPGA DAC. Optimal is to keep the MacOS User Interface not introduce a whole new complication.
I like installing MacOS on powerful server workstations, so if I was replacing a iMac I would replace with something like this:

th-648226526.jpg

I have success installing MacOS on these servers so that's the first thing I would try. In the back, there's a TOSLINK OUT.

Second, I would exhaust modern Mac Hardware (Mac Mini, Mac Studio, Macbook, etc.).

Afterwards, I would look into a dock if that's all I need. Especially if I already have a Macbook.

If I'm trying to be a cool, modern kid then research DDC is it fits the use case (works with MacOS apps, etc.). But again, this isn't about trying to be cool, it's about filling the gap to extend the lovefest. If a DDC makes sense, then that might work.

I don't think Raspberry Pi has a fit in this unless there is more information available on requirements.

Even something like those Google Chromecast knockoffs w/ TOSLINK OUT might work for this use case since jitter is irrelevant.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wiim-streamers-mini-and-pro.963949/#post-17026556

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 25
Yes. Simple Solution should suffice.

Another option is Behringer U-Control UCA202:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-...&qid=1686248309&sprefix=uca202,aps,127&sr=8-1

I just wanted to exhaust options and run through my thought process if I was in the market to replace a Mac workhorse w/ TOSLINK OUT. It seems there are zero Mac HW options now that TOSLINK is phased out if you go the direct Apple Hardware route.

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 25
But why, the use case is that he loves his DAC and his chain. His source (PC) is breaking down. This is not about jitter and not everything is about feeding a modern FPGA DAC with the latest and greatest DDC or Raspberry Pi chain. This is about extending the lovefest.
AH, sorry i just read the last post i replied too...

well imo his best bet is a Usb DDC
DDC can matter, some even think that DDC`s can potentially improve things since the DDC has its own clocks and actually replaces the clocks of your DAC

im not sure how hackintosh`s compare... imo its a lot of hassle to set them up and toslink of them will be probably worse than a dedicated usb ddc

Jun 8, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 25
AH, sorry i just read the last post i replied too...

well imo his best bet is a Usb DDC
DDC can matter, some even think that DDC`s can potentially improve things since the DDC has its own clocks and actually replaces the clocks of your DAC

im not sure how hackintosh`s compare... imo its a lot of hassle to set them up and toslink of them will be probably worse than a dedicated usb ddc

No, it's fine, everybody is trying to apply a modern solution to a legacy problem.

Maybe, but this thread is not about source improvements. There's plenty of threads for that issue. 15 years plus he has been a happy camper. If source improvement is what he is after he would of pursued that in that time.

Basic TOSLINK seems to do the trick, but he's in a bind because he went proprietary Apple. Once Apple decided to drop TOSLINK, he's left with few options if he wants to continue using MacOS Software.

The TOSLINK OUT is just basic functionality for general purpose use. I personally use modern PCI-E ASMedia USB Chipset as MacOS supports OOTB for more advanced purposes. I'm not into digital-to-digital conversion if it could be avoided. But if I'm set in my ways using a DAC I'm happy with for 15+ years that only supports TOSLINK-IN and I only use MacOS Software I'm left with few options. Beggars can't be Choosers in this situation. It's more of an Apple issue than a Audio issue.

I understand everybody wants to go Gung-Ho on their sources, but sometimes just getting things back working is all that's needed. I don't think there's a need for SuperClocks for a 15+year DAC in this case. Sure, it's cool and hip but once your in a Legacy Stable Arc you try not to go modern if there's no great need imo.

If installing MacOS on Intel was easy, I would just get a $400 NUC w/ TOSLINK OUT. It would solve all my issues and I would have a new desktop for another decade without having to buy a $5000 iMac w/ no TOSLINK. I could justify the expense and not have to do modern audio upgrades. It would be more powerful than a 2008 iMac w/ TOSLINK OUT. Sure, TOSLINK on motherboards are never optimal but for legacy systems it should be fine. There would be zero hesitation if a 2023 iMac offered TOSLINK or even a MacBook. Again, Apple put many users in a bind having to adjust their production use cases. I'm just offering a practical solution since Apple Hardware is no longer an option. It's not a Audio issue.

Likely, some USB2TOSLINK adapter will come into play especially if reinvested into more Apple Hardware already. Technically, a DDC would fall into that category.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back