OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Nov 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #286 of 1,240
^ Notice how some of the cables have in-line volume control and some of them don't.
smile.gif

Yea!  I'm all about convenience with the PM-3's.  With any luck at all, they will also have a mic in the little cable dongle for phone calls.  These would be airplane/office/hotel/downstairs cans for me.  I have my midfi audio snob rig.  I don't need to whinge about cables and pure signal paths and dual entry and I need unobtanium wire or my cans won't sound good stuff.  Just make them sound close to the PM-1's, be light, isolate well and work from my iPhone and I'll be stoked.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #289 of 1,240

PM-3 or the new Sony MDR Z7?

I don't understand the question but the answer is PM-3.

Yeah I'm placing my bets on the PM-3 as well. I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about the X7 and a close friend didn't like it very much either for similar music tastes as me.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #290 of 1,240
I listened to 3 prototypes of the PM-3 today at TAVES. They sounded very good, similar to the PM-2. Listening was done from a MacBook Air-iTunes to the OPPO headphone amp. They were comfortable for listening, although I only listened for about 1/2 hour. All 3 were good with slightly different sound signatures. They are still working on the final tuning. They expect them to be available in Jan/Feb 2015. If the price is right, suggested to perhaps be in the $400 range I expect these will be difficult to keep in stock.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #291 of 1,240
I auditioned everything at their booth for TAVES. Same guy in the pic.

All's I gotta say is that portable DAC/AMP sounds amazing to my ears!!! REALLY looking forward to this one. 

Obviously the PM-1 sounds amazing also.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #292 of 1,240
I listened to 3 prototypes of the PM-3 today at TAVES. They sounded very good, similar to the PM-2. Listening was done from a MacBook Air-iTunes to the OPPO headphone amp. They were comfortable for listening, although I only listened for about 1/2 hour. All 3 were good with slightly different sound signatures. They are still working on the final tuning. They expect them to be available in Jan/Feb 2015. If the price is right, suggested to perhaps be in the $400 range I expect these will be difficult to keep in stock.

Different colors had different sound signatures?

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #293 of 1,240

Different colors had different sound signatures?

please.
even the two black PM-3 at RMAF had different sound signatures, as confirmed by the booth folks.
they were soliciting feedback and eager for users impressions of both pairs.

I cast my preference for the more neutral and "open sounding" of the voicing, even though both were obviously closed headphones.
one did exhibit a wider and more open sound stage.  
pretty nice.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #294 of 1,240
Hmmm... pictures are conflicting. So are the pads matched in same color as the headphones, or just grey?

399 is very tempting price.

Edit : I see everything is still in progress.

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #295 of 1,240
Hmmm... pictures are conflicting. So are the pads matched in same color as the headphones, or just grey?

399 is very tempting price.

Edit : I see everything is still in progress.

I'm pretty sure that the pics where the pads were the same color as the headband and cups, were just early mockups.
The 'live' pics of actual headphones with grey pads are the ones being shown and used at demo meets.
I also don't think anything is finalized yet, and subject to change before they are up for sale in a few months.
As you can see above in another comment, Oppo is displaying several different sound signatures in their demo units.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #296 of 1,240
At TAVES, OPPO had 3 different PM-3s.The colour is not relevant, but two were black and one was white. these are prototypes and not in their final configuration. Although these were single ended, they do have a 4 wire configuration in the headphone itself so balanced connections can be done in the future. The pads were of a matching colour. Each had a slightly different sound. Yes the OPPO reps were soliciting feedback on which one was preferred. They also had a PM-1 and a PM-2.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #297 of 1,240
can people who listened to HA2 tell me if it has a warm sound signature, and how is the bass boost, and does it drive audeze lcd2rev2 with authority 

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #298 of 1,240
http://digi.it.sohu.com/20141029/n405586209.shtml

more images. chinese website.

looks like they are dropping the leather/pleather headband :frowning2:

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #299 of 1,240
  PM-3 or the new Sony MDR Z7?

Why not both?

I have the Z7 and love em. Keeping an eye out for the PM-3 since they're closed planars which are rare. Not to mention the PM-3 (with its single connector & lower price) should be a bit more portable than the Z7.

Don't have any planar headphones yet but hope the PM-3 sound lives up to the anticipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back