OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Oct 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #121 of 1,240

All I can say is under $699. The cheaper, the better for all of us.

Well, a little higher than I was expecting but if it approaches the sound signature of the PM-1/2 then it's all good! Hope it does not get tuned towards bassheads, as most closed cans do.
I guess people have been waiting long for a true closed (no leakage) reference headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #127 of 1,240
  When is the PM-3 expected to be released (roughly)?

I was set on getting the SRH1540 for portable use, then they release the MDR-Z7 and MDR-1A, now with the announcement of PM-3 I'm not sure anymore.

I read on another website January is the target month. If the PM-3s will be less than the Oppo PM-2's, they will have to be less than $699. Most headphones from the same brand at this price level are at least $100 apart in price, so I estimate that the most expensive pricing Opppo can go for would be $599. I would strongly hope for a $499 price point as that would be insanely competitive against the other orthodynamic headphones in this price category: the $499 Hifiman HE-400i and $449 Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs Pros. The $500 price point is also a budget constraint for many people and the most expensive price point that the average non-audiophile consumer would be willing to consider. If the sound quality of the PM-3 is just 80%ish of the PM-1s (similar to how the HE-400i is 75-90% of the HE-560 depending on who you ask), these headphones would definitely win out this category simply based on physical design, build quality, comfort (ideally), and portability! There are currently no in production portable closed orthodynamics, so everyone else will have to be playing catch up. I can see many buyers opting to go with the PM-3 over even the more expensive Alpha dogs, Audeze LCD-2, or Hifiman HE-560 based on portability needs

I am in a similar boat as you man! I bought the AKG K545 and ATH-M50x for portable use, but then the MDR-1A got released and now the new PM-3 announcement has me confused. The old MDR-1R physical design was so spectacularly comfortable, I am very interested in hearing the new version, and I love planar headphones so the idea of a truly portable closed orthodynamic pair of headphones is super exciting.

Why tune it for bass heads when you have a perfectly good HA-2 with Bass Boost Plus!?

+1. omg please go for a more neutral sound signature!!!!! you can always EQ more bass in & adjust the sound sig if the headphones are neutral. trying to remove extra bass doesn't work as well. remember the fall-out from the v-moda m100's bass-heavy tuning when everyone was expecting something more neutral along the lines of the m80? many reviews either disliked the bass-heavy sound or added a caveat that these headphones are only for bass-lovers. audiophiles who are investing a lot of money into headphones usually turn their nose up at extreme coloration away from neutral. there is no reason for a $300+ bass-head pair of headphones as there are already so many cheaper bass-heavy alternatives. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #128 of 1,240
there is no reason for a $300+ bass-head pair of headphones as there are already so many cheaper bass-heavy alternatives. 

While I disagree with your statement, I would appreciate a direct Alpha Dog rival.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #130 of 1,240
remember people in asia and all over the world like coloration to the sound, and it would be stupid for a company to design a product in the price range of few hundred dollars that is flat, neutral and boring to most people in the mass market , I am sure oppo wants to have a big market share so to just consider what people here on this forum like is a losing strategy.

Oppo give it the coloration the mass market likes, or it will end up a losing product. Oppo people on this forum or who like flat neutral sound, is so small, and believe they will hunt you down and come crying to u why their is no bass

Beats is insanely bass heavy and sell more than any headphones like audeze, mr speakers, etc

So keep in mind we here a minority and what you like is even more of a minority than what the mass market wants.

People love bass, and that is a fact

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #131 of 1,240
  remember people in asia and all over the world like coloration to the sound, and it would be stupid for a company to design a product in the price range of few hundred dollars that is flat, neutral and boring to most people in the mass market , I am sure oppo wants to have a big market share so to just consider what people here on this forum like is a losing strategy.

Oppo give it the coloration the mass market likes, or it will end up a losing product. Oppo people on this forum or who like flat neutral sound, is so small, and believe they will hunt you down and come crying to u why their is no bass

Beats is insanely bass heavy and sell more than any headphones like audeze, mr speakers, etc

So keep in mind we here a minority and what you like is even more of a minority than what the mass market wants.

yes, but the people who like bass-boosted  headphones aren't looking to be spending $400+ on headphones.

v-moda m100, ultrasone pro 900, pioneer dj headphones, skullcandy, beats... etc... all fun bass heavy closed portable headphones under the $300 price point. there is no point in releasing $500+ bass-boosted headphones when you can easily find that at such a lower price.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #132 of 1,240

Not every product has to target the masses to be successful and make money, and this site proves that. Even if Oppo targeted the average heavy bass lover, who's to say someone like a Beats owner would choose an Oppo headphone... let alone know they exist. From what I've experienced with most people the only headphones on their radar are Sony, Skullcandy, Monster, and Marley. Also, the market for bass headphones is so large nothing would make them stand out (except planar drivers, but what bass lover except for those on audio sites know what that is).

I'd be okay with a bit of colour, but if they made a bass heavy headphone they would be going against their current customers. Not a good idea, companies that neglect their customers and aim for the masses usually crash and burn (unless their customers are the masses in the first place, of course).

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #133 of 1,240
A proper headphone can be both neutral and exciting...
In fact such a headphone is less likely to mask it if the recording was made to sound that way :) IMO

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #134 of 1,240
A proper headphone can be both neutral and exciting...
In fact such a headphone is less likely to mask it if the recording was made to sound that way :) IMO
This here. I love my Paradigm speakers because they can be exciting as well as mostly neutral. That's a hard balance to find though. Don't get me wrong though, my more neutral HD800 pulverizes them :wink:.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #135 of 1,240
This here. I love my Paradigm speakers because they can be exciting as well as mostly neutral. That's a hard balance to find though. Don't get me wrong though, my more neutral HD800 pulverizes them :wink:.

Indeed.
I want to mention the 560 as a prime example. Its neutral, balanced and has great timbre but I wouldnt call it boring by far. Of course it has the benefit of being an open headphone though that has little to do with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back