Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #302 of 520
I have many contacts with the project "gapless playback". Her the answer from oppo:

Unfortunately we do not know when we may have the option to allow for gapless playback through USB storage. This is something that is currently a work in progress so we have no release date established. We do hope to have this ability available by this summer, yes, but there is no guarantee.

Unfortuantely the player does not support this through the network, it only supports it through attached USB storage. Even with the BDP-10x series we had to remove it from the network streaming due to bugs which we discovered.

Not good news. I buy a Auralic. Sorry OPPO.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #305 of 520
Anyone using this unit with a large USB drive attached? If so, how is the Artist, Album, Genre list working for you. I have a drive with 350GB of music on it & if the app closes for some reason, it takes an uncomfortably long time to show any info. (Artist, Album, etc.) I am not sure if the unit finished indexing all of the files & that is why it starts over with each connection. Seems to be worse with the Android app than iOS ver. iOS takes 37 sec to show the info & the Android takes 2+ minutes after the app is closed & reopened.

Thanks,
kev

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #306 of 520
Anyone using this unit with a large USB drive attached? If so, how is the Artist, Album, Genre list working for you. I have a drive with 350GB of music on it & if the app closes for some reason, it takes an uncomfortably long time to show any info. (Artist, Album, etc.) I am not sure if the unit finished indexing all of the files & that is why it starts over with each connection. Seems to be worse with the Android app than iOS ver. iOS takes 37 sec to show the info & the Android takes 2+ minutes after the app is closed & reopened.

Thanks,
kev

I have a 1TB SSD drive connected w/ about 600G of files.  When I unplug the drive to add new files it takes a few minutes for DAC to rescan the drive to populate Artist and Album.  During this time 'folder' view still works fine.  

I don't have this problem when I close the ios app.  

What USB drive are you using?  5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm vs SSD?  I ask because I ditched an older 5400 rpm drive because of the lag you've described on my mac mini music server (esp on start-up after the drive stopped spinning).  Switched to an SSD and the problem went away.

I'm using this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0YKI1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Not the fastest SSD drive, but certainly faster than any spinning HD.  And at $280 for 1TB it's pretty cheap for SSD.

Another option is this:  https://www.amazon.com/HGST-High-Performance-Portable-Platinum-0S03694/dp/B00IVFDQFM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490887084&sr=1-2&keywords=hgst.  It's a 7200 rpm drive that reads relatively quickly and is much cheaper than SSD.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #308 of 520
You can put this SSD in your MAC Mini, like I did.  Learn how to do it at ifixit.com!  If you have some assembly skills you can do it and to your RAM while you're in there!

Then you can avoid all those hubs and other power requirements.   it's all in one tidy box!
wink.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B01IAGSDUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490887790&sr=1-1&keywords=1+TB+MX+300

Then go get Roon software as it blows iTunes in the weeds!   I simply love it!
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #309 of 520

I have a 1TB SSD drive connected w/ about 600G of files.  When I unplug the drive to add new files it takes a few minutes for DAC to rescan the drive to populate Artist and Album.  During this time 'folder' view still works fine.  

What USB drive are you using?  5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm vs SSD?  I ask because I ditched an older 5400 rpm drive because of the lag you've described on my mac mini music server (esp on start-up after the drive stopped spinning).  Switched to an SSD and the problem went away.

I'm using this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0YKI1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Not the fastest SSD drive, but certainly faster than any spinning HD.  And at $280 for 1TB it's pretty cheap for SSD.

Another option is this:  https://www.amazon.com/HGST-High-Performance-Portable-Platinum-0S03694/dp/B00IVFDQFM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490887084&sr=1-2&keywords=hgst.  It's a 7200 rpm drive that reads relatively quickly and is much cheaper than SSD.

Thanks for your response nhtran1. I am trying to make my Android tablet Note 8 work, because it can be dedicated to the system. I started over this morning by doing factory reset on SDAC & installing a new Sonica app on the tablet & now I can't get the app to connect. It doesn't ever see the SDAC. Signal strength is 100%, so I don't know what is happening. This is the way it was when I first attempted to connect. iPad is having the same issue! Neither finds he SDAC to add it. As I did the other day, I moved the SDAC so it's hanging out the front of the shelf, exposing 1/3 of the top & both devices connected. The SDAC is not 10' from the WiFi router & the SDAC reports signal strength of 100% in either position. My WiFi meter measures -40dBm. BTW it's a wood cabinet with no metal except screws??? I guess I will move it to see if things start working better, but my power cord needs it to be where it is. Maybe adjust the antennas a bit. Unless there is something wrong with the radio, it should be seeing a good signal.
Oh & that Touro S is the exact drive I am using. It seems to be stable for now with the Android app except that every time the tablet turns off WiFi to sleep, it takes almost 40 seconds to repopulate the Artist, Albums info. That just ain't gonna cut it!

Onward thru the fog,

kev

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #310 of 520

Thanks for your response nhtran1. I am trying to make my Android tablet Note 8 work, because it can be dedicated to the system. I started over this morning by doing factory reset on SDAC & installing a new Sonica app on the tablet & now I can't get the app to connect. It doesn't ever see the SDAC. Signal strength is 100%, so I don't know what is happening. This is the way it was when I first attempted to connect. iPad is having the same issue! Neither finds he SDAC to add it. As I did the other day, I moved the SDAC so it's hanging out the front of the shelf, exposing 1/3 of the top & both devices connected. The SDAC is not 10' from the WiFi router & the SDAC reports signal strength of 100% in either position. My WiFi meter measures -40dBm. BTW it's a wood cabinet with no metal except screws??? I guess I will move it to see if things start working better, but my power cord needs it to be where it is. Maybe adjust the antennas a bit. Unless there is something wrong with the radio, it should be seeing a good signal.
Oh & that Touro S is the exact drive I am using. It seems to be stable for now with the Android app except that every time the tablet turns off WiFi to sleep, it takes almost 40 seconds to repopulate the Artist, Albums info. That just ain't gonna cut it!

Onward thru the fog,
  kev

Don't know if you have a dual band router or not, but I've had problems connecting 2 devices because one device is connected to one band and the other is connected to the 2nd band.  Drove me batty until I called tech support. I've found logging out and back in to the network fixes this most of the time.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #311 of 520
Don't know if you have a dual band router or not, but I've had problems connecting 2 devices because one device is connected to one band and the other is connected to the 2nd band.  Drove me batty until I called tech support. I've found logging out and back in to the network fixes this most of the time.

Yes, it is a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router. One thing pisses me off is, I never had any issues with the router & now, a year later my free phone support has expired & my only options are "Ask the community" & Paid phone support! Ask the community is a joke with so many jerks responding with statements like "read the manual" or bickering back & forth about the advice someone gave. So, no help from Netgear!
I am still trying to sort out the issues with Android Sonica app & delays in indexing the library & I have a beta Sonica app that pretty much fixes it. Next will be getting JRiver MC 22 to work for my DLNA server.

Thanks,
kev

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #312 of 520
I am looking for a decent network streamer, and DAC wise I am currently using the Chord Mojo. Looking to upgrade to 2Qute or perhaps even the new Hugo 2.

However, if the Sonica is good enough, I might as well skip on the more expensive Chord offerings.

So any direct A/B comparisons between the Sonica and Chord DACs?

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #313 of 520

Content removed.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #314 of 520
Would you guys suggest getting this DAC to pair it with:

a. Denon receiver to speakers  and
b. My Schiit Jotunheim for headphones?

I could do RCA Single Ended out for the Denon AVR and Balanced XLR outs to the Schiit Jotunheim for headphones. What do you guys think?

Also where the heck do you people get DSD512 music?

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #315 of 520
Make sure that the Denon AVR does not digitize its analog inputs. Otherwise, it really defeats the purpose of having an outboard DAC.

As far as DSD512 music, I am not aware of any for sale. If there is, the catalog is extremely small in size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back