Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Apr 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #331 of 520
What I am saying is that there is no way to bypass any delta-sigma DAC's internal conversion to PWM, because that is the way the DAC converts digital to analog. If you convert PCM to DSD before sending it to the DAC, you aren't doing anything that will result in an audible difference--at least, nothing that the math will support and nothing that my ears tell me.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #333 of 520
I have the Schiit Jot with an included DAC. I'm a newb at this.

What I want to know if I would hear better SQ using the Sonica (I mean $700 is a lot for some people :p)

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #334 of 520
I have the Schiit Jot with an included DAC. I'm a newb at this.

What I want to know if I would hear better SQ using the Sonica (I mean $700 is a lot for some people
tongue.gif
)

$799 is indeed a lot of money!   

Hearing a difference depends on what else is in your chain and how long you've been under the influence of adaptive hedonism - the inescapable tendency to find the current level of performance inadequate, as you move up to ever more pleasurable performance, only to again adapt and find it inadequate or boring.   A man who has never had steak or prime rib might think creamed beef on toast is bettered only by a big juicy cheeseburger.

The weakest link in your chain could completely mask any improvements made with a DAC.  I've seen people roll op-amps in a headphone amp, only to report they hear no differences.  Those same op-amps can sound significantly different to people who have better gear in the chain.

Then there's the issue of experience. The more adaptive hedonism you've suffered, the more discernment you'll have. Anyone with healthy hearing can effortlessly train themselves over time to hear subtleties and nuances not heard when their ears were "naive." 

I know of a Head-Fi member who bought or borrowed about a dozen DACs for simultaneous comparison with his Audeze LCD-3 that was directly connected to a very nice speaker amp.  After much ado, he concluded that nearly all of the DACs sounded the same as the one he had started with. 

Many people who were following his thread were flabbergasted.  He had the money, the passion, the enthusiasm and the patience to deal with lots of "backseat drivers" telling him what to buy and how to perform the testing, but in the end, he revealed himself to have unseasoned ears.

I will leave it to you to decide if you've got the chain and the discernment to hear a difference with the Sonica DAC, but I will add that I've only been at this for about 5 years and have never allowed myself to buy any component costing more than $1000 before tax and shipping, new or used.  I've also gone out of my way to avoid spoiling my ears with anything other than a quick listen to systems I cannot afford.  It's bad enough I can no longer enjoy listening to my car stereo or my low-end HiFi system - I've got no interest in jading my ears to the point I can no longer get excited listening to roughly $3000 Head-Fi systems.

My advice, therefore, is to slow down and enjoy the journey. You'll spend less money buying used and selling used, but hang onto stuff long enough to do some mixing and matching or you'll be going back to buy the same things again, a second time. I know people who've bought the Senn HD650, for example, two or three times!  

If you have other interests in your life for discretionary spending, you could save some money in the long run, by leap-frogging the "journey" - cheating yourself of the fun of upgrading in steps - by drawing a line in the sand, in terms of total budget, then emulating one of the systems assembled by those who seem to have the respect of the community at large.  This requires a lot of reading!  

One thing's for sure:  If you like the bang-for-the-buck had with Schiit products, you'll find the same is true with Oppo - they both offer a lot of value for the money.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #335 of 520
In case this wasn't already posted , here is Hometheaterreview of the Sonica Dac from March. Not a great score, but overall pretty good. I tend to agree with the review.

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-sonica-dac-reviewed/

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #336 of 520
For those that have the Sonica, I would like to know if you can power the unit up with a smart phone or tablet. I know that the unit has to be in standby. Ideally I would be able to leave the unit on and cycle the operation on the Sonica and my Rotel amp all at once through the trigger out on the Sonica.

Thanks.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #337 of 520
For those that have the Sonica, I would like to know if you can power the unit up with a smart phone or tablet. I know that the unit has to be in standby. Ideally I would be able to leave the unit on and cycle the operation on the Sonica and my Rotel amp all at once through the trigger out on the Sonica.

Thanks.

The Sonica DAC has trigger in/out jacks but you cannot use the Sonica app to turn the unit from standby to on.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #339 of 520
DLNA or via iTunes would be one way. You might want to try a different program than Jriver if that isn't working, because there is no reason why DLNA shouldn't work. Hooking up the Sonica DAC via USB (or even Toslink or coax if possible) to your computer would be another.

If you want to use one of Sonica's native capabilities, Tidal and Spotify are integrated for US models but web radio streams are out.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #340 of 520
Hey guys. 

I'm looking to get the Sonica DAC but I need to solve something first.

I have my speakers connected to my Denon AVR and I want to use the same Speakers with the Sonica plus an Stereo amplifier. How would I go about doing that? Any ideas?

I just don't want to run the Sonica through my Denon because I think my AVR digitizes the analog inputs and that would defeat the purpose of getting the Sonica. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #341 of 520
  Hey guys. 

I'm looking to get the Sonica DAC but I need to solve something first.

I have my speakers connected to my Denon AVR and I want to use the same Speakers with the Sonica plus an Stereo amplifier. How would I go about doing that? Any ideas?

I just don't want to run the Sonica through my Denon because I think my AVR digitizes the analog inputs and that would defeat the purpose of getting the Sonica. 

The Sonica DAC has an HT bypass option.    However, that would be for the opposite of what you want to do.  If you want to connect a stereo amp and an AVR to the same set of speakers, you can use the pre-out from the Denon AVR for the front left and right channels and hook them up to one of the inputs in the amp (I am assuming it is an integrated amp).  You can hook the Sonica DAC to another input of the amp.  If you'd like, you can set the Sonica DAC to fixed line level output and not use the Sonica DAC's volume control, and only use the volume control on the integrated amp.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #342 of 520

The Sonica DAC has an HT bypass option.    However, that would be for the opposite of what you want to do.  If you want to connect a stereo amp and an AVR to the same set of speakers, you can use the pre-out from the Denon AVR for the front left and right channels and hook them up to one of the inputs in the amp (I am assuming it is an integrated amp).  You can hook the Sonica DAC to another input of the amp.  If you'd like, you can set the Sonica DAC to fixed line level output and not use the Sonica DAC's volume control, and only use the volume control on the integrated amp.

Ahhhh that's perfect. Thank you for helping me out. 

I see it has to be an integrated amp then. 

Mine isn't integrated. It's just a Power amp. Is there a way to do it with the Power amp? I'm assuming I need some sort of switch in between the Sonica and the Avr. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #343 of 520
  Ahhhh that's perfect. Thank you for helping me out. 

I see it has to be an integrated amp then. 

Mine isn't integrated. It's just a Power amp. Is there a way to do it with the Power amp? I'm assuming I need some sort of switch in between the Sonica and the Avr. 

It doesn't have to be an integrated amp, although that would be the easiest way.  There is a way to hook up both a power amp and an AVR to the same set of speakers, called an amplifier/speaker selector.  There are only a few of them on the market.  The Niles DPS1 is the one that the most commonly available:

https://www.amazon.com/Niles-Black-FG00003-Amplifier-Selector/dp/B00006HOFR

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #344 of 520

It doesn't have to be an integrated amp, although that would be the easiest way.  There is a way to hook up both a power amp and an AVR to the same set of speakers, called an amplifier/speaker selector.  There are only a few of them on the market.  The Niles DPS1 is the one that the most commonly available:

https://www.amazon.com/Niles-Black-FG00003-Amplifier-Selector/dp/B00006HOFR

THANK YOU!!

That's exactly what I needed. I was starting to look for a Pre-Amp or something like that but this is a lot less money. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #345 of 520
  THANK YOU!!

That's exactly what I needed. I was starting to look for a Pre-Amp or something like that but this is a lot less money. 

No problem!  There could be another way to do it along the lines you had suggested, where you would install an RCA jack A/B switch before the power amp and connect "A" to the Sonica DAC and "B" to the front left and right pre-out from the AVR.  If you do some digging on Amazon to Monoprice, I am sure you can find a switch like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back