Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 20, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #5,191 of 6,302
I know that the overwhelming opinion on this site that everything sounds better amped, but they sound great to me as is. The iPod can drive them fine and the Sony DAP gives them more power. To be honest I do not listen very loudly and have never had the urge for more power. I have heard the idea that it gives you a fuller sound, but I have never tried that.

Shane D

I can fully appreciate if you are happy and don't want to change anything. But a DragonFly Red is really not expensive, and it does add quality to the sound. Not only because it is an amp, but mainly because it is a much better DAC than the one in your iPod. We need a good quality analog signal first, before we even start to think about amplification.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #5,192 of 6,302
I can fully appreciate if you are happy and don't want to change anything. But a DragonFly Red is really not expensive, and it does add quality to the sound. Not only because it is an amp, but mainly because it is a much better DAC than the one in your iPod. We need a good quality analog signal first, before we even start to think about amplification.
Can't disagree with anything you say. First I have to sell some headphones and other accessories. Then buy the PM3's AND the SR325E. Anything past that is 2018 material.

Shane D

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #5,193 of 6,302
Does Oppo Digital ever have sales? My options in Canada seem to be limited to:

1) Oppo digital with brutal exchange rates.

2) local dealer who states there is "very little room to move on price".

3) online shop who has better price than local dealer, but charges significant shipping charge.

Any input on previous puchases would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Shane D

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,194 of 6,302

3) online shop who has better price than local dealer, but charges significant shipping charge.

Thanks in advance!

Shane D

In the last 18 months, I haven't seen one. Except for used, I've never found these for less than MSRP. I keep expecting it to happen with the introduction of the 400s, Black Friday sales, or the 400i going to $250, or the release of the M1060 for $300. But nothing. At $400, they are a little overpriced anymore. Not that they aren't worth $400, just that $400 buys a lot more planar these days. Sorry, dude. I hope I'm wrong when I say, don't hold your breath for a sale.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #5,195 of 6,302

Thanks in advance!

Shane D
Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Seen a few pop up from time to time.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #5,196 of 6,302
Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Seen a few pop up from time to time.
I would be happy to buy these second hand, but prefer locally. I know that would limit me, big time.

Shane D

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #5,197 of 6,302
In the last 18 months, I haven't seen one. Except for used, I've never found these for less than MSRP. I keep expecting it to happen with the introduction of the 400s, Black Friday sales, or the 400i going to $250, or the release of the M1060 for $300. But nothing. At $400, they are a little overpriced anymore. Not that they aren't worth $400, just that $400 buys a lot more planar these days. Sorry, dude. I hope I'm wrong when I say, don't hold your breath for a sale.
That is about what I expected but I wanted to make sure that they don't do deals on Black Friday, Boxing Day or another special time of the year that I wasn't aware of.

Shane D

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #5,198 of 6,302
@Shane D You can also keep an eye on this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post.692119/

As the name suggests, deals get posted there as things come up. A very worthwhile thread, and one I am pretty active on. Most other threads I look at end up costing me money eventually when I buy something based on the discussion there. The deal thread is the only one that saves me money. :wink:

And let me amend my previous statement. There was one deal for the PM-3 through Newegg and one deal on refurbished units, both from nearly a year ago:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-first-post.692119/page-1446#post-12801865
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-first-post.692119/page-1401#post-12630074

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #5,199 of 6,302
@Shane D You can also keep an eye on this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post.692119/

As the name suggests, deals get posted there as things come up. A very worthwhile thread, and one I am pretty active on. Most other threads I look at end up costing me money eventually when I buy something based on the discussion there. The deal thread is the only one that saves me money. :wink:

And let me amend my previous statement. There was one deal for the PM-3 through Newegg and one deal on refurbished units, both from nearly a year ago:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-first-post.692119/page-1446#post-12801865
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-first-post.692119/page-1401#post-12630074
You are a fountain of information.
Thank you!

Shane D

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #5,200 of 6,302
Hello all.. just stopping by to leave my total impressions on the oppo pm3's. I've been using these headphones for the better part of a year now, and they are still the best headphones I've ever owned! And that's saying something because I have many pairs from different brands like audio technica and sennheiser. Just love the sound and the comfort of these headphones - always a pleasure to use at the computer for gaming or listening to music or watching videos, and sometimes on the go with my laptop or my nintendo switch. I also have them paired up with a v-moda boom pro mic. Absolutely excellent. I have nothing but great things to say about these headphones :)

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #5,201 of 6,302
I found a great deal for a PM-3 ($300 new), so bit the bullet.

Impressions: My only crticisms are the lack of low/sub bass extension, a small dip in the mid/high treble, and the roll off at around 10k.If these things were adjusted in a future model, they would be the best portable closed back of all time.

Im a treble/air nut, so im having trouble warming up to the set. But the mid's are so outstanding (smooth and balanced, if a little forward with a tiny lift between around 500hz-800hz). Probably the best mids ive ever beard in a headphone. Vocals sound amazing.

Just curious, can anyone suggest a headphone that comparitively addresses my peeves?

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #5,202 of 6,302
Just curious, can anyone suggest a headphone that comparitively addresses my peeves?

Not any portable I've ever heard. The E-mu Teaks aren't portable, planars or particularly mid-centric like the PM-3 but they have incredible bass extension and fairly neutral treble response (slightly peaky way up top and only slightly recessed in the mids.)

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #5,203 of 6,302
Not any portable I've ever heard. The E-mu Teaks aren't portable, planars or particularly mid-centric like the PM-3 but they have incredible bass extension and fairly neutral treble response (slightly peaky way up top and only slightly recessed in the mids.)

I heard a glimpse of the Teaks, on ZeosPantera's YT. Camera audio. Sounded very clear and crisp on top. Very nice. A bit out of budget ATM, though. I don't need a portable set, specifically. TBH, I wont be taking >$300 headphones outside the house. I just like the form factor, and drivability. (I listen to music on a X3 v2, and a Note 5, when not at my desk.) - Also considering the B&O H6's (v2). Sonic descriptions point to my taste. I did demo the H9 a few months ago, and thought they sounded awesome. Apparently, the sound is the same/similar to the H6's.

Very much on the fence with these PM-3's. The veiled treble is a potential deal breaker. :-/

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,204 of 6,302
Had a chance for another listening session. A local, young audiofile (Brandon) was kind enough to invite me over for a listening session even though I wasn't buying the items he was selling.

It was VERY educational. I am really not a Hifiman fan. Not the HE400S, nor the HE400.
Tried a HD600 from an amp. Much like an earlier test with an unamped HD650. Not moved at all by either. Very clean, very detailed and I assume very correct.

Also had a chance to try the Audeze LCD-2. It was nice and got better with a balanced cable with better amp (he had two amps set up). List price is about $1,400.00, Canadian. I was not moved anywhere near that level.

Lastly, I go try the PM3'S again, this time amped. I LOVE these phones! and as many say they actually sounded even better amplified.

When I say that this was educational, mean that. I now realize that I am attracted to a certain sound signature more than audio perfection. I like the Grado SR325E's, and I love the PM3'S.

And special thanks to a young fella that invited an old, fat guy he didn't know into his home and gave him an opportunity to hear some VERY cool stuff.

Shane D

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #5,205 of 6,302
Really enjoying the hell out of mine. They sound good from my Schiit computer stack and my Oppo amp/dac. I upped the performance today with a Wywires Red headphone cable . Everything is mucho better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back