Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #5,027 of 6,302
I have to admit I haven't read through this thread, so pardon if the question has already been posed (in which case please direct me to relevant posts if you can readily do so).  The PM-3 seems to have a good reputation for isolation.  To me the ultimate test for that is classical music in transit.  Has anyone spent time listening to classical through the PM-3s while on a train or plane?  Could you hear the pianissimo passages without worrying about the fortissimos damaging your ears?  

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #5,028 of 6,302
I just purchased a pair of PM-3's when I was in the UK. I flew with them for 4 days and 8,000 miles trying to get home to the States after several cancellations (long story).
These work very well in isolating sound in/out. I'm not that impressed with the tone of the headphones, but it hits the mark on portability, comfort and good isolation. Incredibly polite pair of cans. I use them with the Oppo HA2-SE. Hope that helps.
I have to admit I haven't read through this thread, so pardon if the question has already been posed (in which case please direct me to relevant posts if you can readily do so).  The PM-3 seems to have a good reputation for isolation.  To me the ultimate test for that is classical music in transit.  Has anyone spent time listening to classical through the PM-3s while on a train or plane?  Could you hear the pianissimo passages without worrying about the fortissimos damaging your ears?  

Edit- Goodbye Oppo HA2-SE & Hello "MOJO"

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #5,029 of 6,302
Just in case you have a balanced cable you want to use with your phone/DAC, here's a brilliant and cheap solution:
Fiio L26 Line Out Cable - 3.5mm male to 2.5mm TRRS female Audio Adaptor Cable

A$18 delievered, much cheaper than other more compact solutions (over US$55!!!). I'm not that keen on having two plugs sticking out of my device so a short adapter is a much better solution. Since I use my DP-X1 as transport only for my Mojo, the lovely @Peterek cable wasn't getting any use and this is where the adapter will help.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,030 of 6,302

I love me the 1Mores, but there is (at least to my ears) a pretty major difference between those and the PM-3s. Maybe not quite night and day, but significant enough that there's no comparison in my mind. I like the PM-3s as much as my Westone W60s (although in different ways). The PM-3 sound is so good, especially for the price, that they've been on my short list of must-buy gear since release... the only thing that's kept me from pulling the trigger is that I keep missing the sales, and my work environment didn't used to be conducive to (relatively) full-size cans. I started working a new gig a few months ago where it would be helpful for people to see that I'm wearing headphones when they approach my desk, so I will almost certainly get a pair at the next discounted opportunity. Or if there's something at CanJam this year that impresses me even more, which I would love to see but don't think likely...

I totally understand. I have the 1More quad's in the mail now, where do the PM-3's usually go on sale?

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #5,031 of 6,302
  All well and good, but can anyone answer my specific question - is the Oppo's isolation sufficient to allow enjoyment of classical music on a train or (even more challenging) a plane.  For the record, I have Etymotics that I can use on either and PSB M4U2s that I can use on a train and for most classical music (i.e. except for works with the widest dynamic range) on a plane.

PM-3 are my plane HPs. So yes, you can enjoy classical music on a train or a plane. If you won't be able to enjoy it, there is always Metallica ... :wink:

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #5,035 of 6,302
I love me the 1Mores, but there is (at least to my ears) a pretty major difference between those and the PM-3s. Maybe not quite night and day, but significant enough that there's no comparison in my mind. I like the PM-3s as much as my Westone W60s (although in different ways). The PM-3 sound is so good, especially for the price, that they've been on my short list of must-buy gear since release... the only thing that's kept me from pulling the trigger is that I keep missing the sales, and my work environment didn't used to be conducive to (relatively) full-size cans. I started working a new gig a few months ago where it would be helpful for people to see that I'm wearing headphones when they approach my desk, so I will almost certainly get a pair at the next discounted opportunity. Or if there's something at CanJam this year that impresses me even more, which I would love to see but don't think likely...
Are you willing to get their refurbished version? Try calling, because I was in the same situation, and didnt see any refurbished options online for a long time, ($329) but last week decided to call and sure enough they had a pair available. I received them two days ago and I couldn't be happier. Not a scratch on them.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #5,036 of 6,302
Are you willing to get their refurbished version? Try calling, because I was in the same situation, and didnt see any refurbished options online for a long time, ($329) but last week decided to call and sure enough they had a pair available. I received them two days ago and I couldn't be happier. Not a scratch on them.

That is an awesome tip! Thank you. I definitely am okay with refurb; they just always seem to be out.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #5,038 of 6,302
Sold my Oppo PM-3 and my Oppo HA-2 after a job layoff some time ago. Now I have a great job and I'm looking around thinking there has to be something better by now for sheer portability, iOS cable support with a good mic, and sound.

Much to my surprise I didn't find anything better in my research - a testament to the PM-3 but slightly disappointing. I love the PM-3 but I've always found it a bit lacking in excitement with it's polite but very, very excellent sound signature. The HA-2 DAC Headphone Amplifier helped a great deal with its sound signature as well, the PM-3 seemed to scale nicely.

I see that Oppo came out with a 2nd gen portable DAC headphone amplifier, the HA-2 SE. The original was so awesome with a very portable shape, a perfect set of features, and very good sound for the money. But I am currently suffering with Chord Mojo envy and I'll be trying that next with the PM-3.

Not to mention the PM-3 can make use of Vmoda's 3.5mm headset boom cable for gaming. It also helps that the PM-3 folds small into a very nice (included) travel case, looks great with decent build quality, and is travel friendly (comfortable, small, with good isolation). An awesome, included iOS cable with a good mic and controls seals the deal.

I would like a revision with better (I.E. more exciting) sound, perhaps another cool color choice, but I can't think of a better portable set of cans for any price. Sure I want Sony's latest flagship, or the Ether Flow C, but for 2 grand give or take I'm not toting those everywhere, I'd baby them as treasured purchases. And those cans lack iOS controls.

A quick question for the long term, are the PM-3 earpads replaceable and can you order them from Oppo?

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #5,039 of 6,302
Sold my Oppo PM-3 and my Oppo HA-2 after a job layoff some time ago. Now I have a great job and I'm looking around thinking there has to be something better by now for sheer portability, iOS cable support with a good mic, and sound.

Much to my surprise I didn't find anything better in my research - a testament to the PM-3 but slightly disappointing. I love the PM-3 but I've always found it a bit lacking in excitement with it's polite but very, very excellent sound signature. The HA-2 DAC Headphone Amplifier helped a great deal with its sound signature as well, the PM-3 seemed to scale nicely.

I see that Oppo came out with a 2nd gen portable DAC headphone amplifier, the HA-2 SE. The original was so awesome with a very portable shape, a perfect set of features, and very good sound for the money. But I am currently suffering with Chord Mojo envy and I'll be trying that next with the PM-3.

Not to mention the PM-3 can make use of Vmoda's 3.5mm headset boom cable for gaming. It also helps that the PM-3 folds small into a very nice (included) travel case, looks great with decent build quality, and is travel friendly (comfortable, small, with good isolation). An awesome, included iOS cable with a good mic and controls seals the deal.

I would like a revision with better (I.E. more exciting) sound, perhaps another cool color choice, but I can't think of a better portable set of cans for any price. Sure I want Sony's latest flagship, or the Ether Flow C, but for 2 grand give or take I'm not toting those everywhere, I'd baby them as treasured purchases. And those cans lack iOS controls.

A quick question for the long term, are the PM-3 earpads replaceable and can you order them from Oppo?

Yes the pads are replaceable.
If you like IEM's you can also get a 1More Triple or quad driver.
Personally I just got my pre-ordered quads in today and they deliver!

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #5,040 of 6,302

Audeze Sine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back