Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 27, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #5,041 of 6,302
Sold my Oppo PM-3 and my Oppo HA-2 after a job layoff some time ago. Now I have a great job and I'm looking around thinking there has to be something better by now for sheer portability, iOS cable support with a good mic, and sound.

Much to my surprise I didn't find anything better in my research - a testament to the PM-3 but slightly disappointing. I love the PM-3 but I've always found it a bit lacking in excitement with it's polite but very, very excellent sound signature. The HA-2 DAC Headphone Amplifier helped a great deal with its sound signature as well, the PM-3 seemed to scale nicely.

I see that Oppo came out with a 2nd gen portable DAC headphone amplifier, the HA-2 SE. The original was so awesome with a very portable shape, a perfect set of features, and very good sound for the money. But I am currently suffering with Chord Mojo envy and I'll be trying that next with the PM-3.

Not to mention the PM-3 can make use of Vmoda's 3.5mm headset boom cable for gaming. It also helps that the PM-3 folds small into a very nice (included) travel case, looks great with decent build quality, and is travel friendly (comfortable, small, with good isolation). An awesome, included iOS cable with a good mic and controls seals the deal.

I would like a revision with better (I.E. more exciting) sound, perhaps another cool color choice, but I can't think of a better portable set of cans for any price. Sure I want Sony's latest flagship, or the Ether Flow C, but for 2 grand give or take I'm not toting those everywhere, I'd baby them as treasured purchases. And those cans lack iOS controls.

A quick question for the long term, are the PM-3 earpads replaceable and can you order them from Oppo?

Audeze Sine?

Don't want to buy on ear cans, I only like over ear.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #5,042 of 6,302

Sold my Oppo PM-3 and my Oppo HA-2 after a job layoff some time ago. Now I have a great job and I'm looking around thinking there has to be something better by now for sheer portability, iOS cable support with a good mic, and sound.

Much to my surprise I didn't find anything better in my research - a testament to the PM-3 but slightly disappointing. I love the PM-3 but I've always found it a bit lacking in excitement with it's polite but very, very excellent sound signature. The HA-2 DAC Headphone Amplifier helped a great deal with its sound signature as well, the PM-3 seemed to scale nicely.

I see that Oppo came out with a 2nd gen portable DAC headphone amplifier, the HA-2 SE. The original was so awesome with a very portable shape, a perfect set of features, and very good sound for the money. But I am currently suffering with Chord Mojo envy and I'll be trying that next with the PM-3.

Not to mention the PM-3 can make use of Vmoda's 3.5mm headset boom cable for gaming. It also helps that the PM-3 folds small into a very nice (included) travel case, looks great with decent build quality, and is travel friendly (comfortable, small, with good isolation). An awesome, included iOS cable with a good mic and controls seals the deal.

I would like a revision with better (I.E. more exciting) sound, perhaps another cool color choice, but I can't think of a better portable set of cans for any price. Sure I want Sony's latest flagship, or the Ether Flow C, but for 2 grand give or take I'm not toting those everywhere, I'd baby them as treasured purchases. And those cans lack iOS controls.

A quick question for the long term, are the PM-3 earpads replaceable and can you order them from Oppo?

Audeze Sine?

Those are IEM's though. Its not really the same thing at all.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #5,045 of 6,302
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/818870/audeze-isine-10-isine-20-audeze-releases-two-new-iem-planar-magnetic-earphones/

Just please check out the thread.
Also if you think that the thread is lying you can also browse to their website and find your disappointment there.

They are infact IEM's.

Those are isine's.  The reference was to the Sine.  So please do your own research.
https://www.audeze.com/products/sine-series/sine-ear-headphone?gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHr1usd2ihi8QbBqkheyAwpMs7FCwNeEEXS5QxbrJKc7hoC8-rw_wcB

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,047 of 6,302
  Those are isine's.  The reference was to the Sine.  So please do your own research.
https://www.audeze.com/products/sine-series/sine-ear-headphone?gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHr1usd2ihi8QbBqkheyAwpMs7FCwNeEEXS5QxbrJKc7hoC8-rw_wcB

Ah you are right I am very sorry I misread it.
I swear I went back and read it like 9 times and I kept reading iSine LOL

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,048 of 6,302
I found out that my local audio dealer has both Oppo and Audeze. So I went there to listen to the PM-3 and the Audeze Sine. I found the Sine way less comfortable, so I would pass on them for that reason alone. But they sounded nice and engaging. The PM-3's had a much deeper (and still taut) bass though. Only, I found the PM-3's quite restrained, and not really involving. I know they have been described as being bit boring by some. On classical music I found them magical though.

One question for PM-3 owners out there. The ones I tried were fresh out the box. How much of the "restraintness" (by lack of audiophile vocabulary on my side) will go away after proper burn in? How much is the difference between a fresh PM-3 and a run in one?

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #5,049 of 6,302
I haven't really noticed any difference in sound, now compared to when new. That does not suggest that there isn't a difference only that any difference is either so gradual or so subtle it would be difficult to perceive without being able to compare a pair with at least fifty hours on them directly to a brand new pair. Finding someone here who has had the opportunity to do just that may prove difficult.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #5,050 of 6,302
I found out that my local audio dealer has both Oppo and Audeze. So I went there to listen to the PM-3 and the Audeze Sine. I found the Sine way less comfortable, so I would pass on them for that reason alone. But they sounded nice and engaging. The PM-3's had a much deeper (and still taut) bass though. Only, I found the PM-3's quite restrained, and not really involving. I know they have been described as being bit boring by some. On classical music I found them magical though.

One question for PM-3 owners out there. The ones I tried were fresh out the box. How much of the "restraintness" (by lack of audiophile vocabulary on my side) will go away after proper burn in? How much is the difference between a fresh PM-3 and a run in one?

IMO, planar headphones require zero burn-in. There's no voice coil and no surround, the main mechanical components that can experience some level of physical burn-in in dynamic headphones.

What were you amping them with? I find the PM-3 to come alive on a decent DAP or headphone amp. I have tinnitus, though, so I like slightly relaxed headphones, you might be used to stuff with a little more treble energy that people usually associate with a more "live" or "sparkly" sound.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #5,051 of 6,302

IMO, planar headphones require zero burn-in. There's no voice coil and no surround, the main mechanical components that can experience some level of physical burn-in in dynamic headphones.

What were you amping them with? I find the PM-3 to come alive on a decent DAP or headphone amp. I have tinnitus, though, so I like slightly relaxed headphones, you might be used to stuff with a little more treble energy that people usually associate with a more "live" or "sparkly" sound.

Not only mechanical parts need burn in, electronics, and even cables, too. I absolutely don't want to start a fight between believers and nonbelievers here, but my ears hear what they hear.

Anyway, I listened through the Chord Mojo (source: iPhone 7), and also through the DragonFly Red. I own the DragonFly myself, so that will be what I will be using to feed my new headphones. I normally listen through the Hifiman RE400 IEM's. These definitely sounded more sparkling during my comparison.

But maybe I should go back to have another listen, and then don't compare at all. Just get used to the PM-3 sound and enjoy the music......

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,052 of 6,302
Not only mechanical parts need burn in, electronics, and even cables, too. I absolutely don't want to start a fight between believers and nonbelievers here, but my ears hear what they hear.

Anyway, I listened through the Chord Mojo (source: iPhone 7), and also through the DragonFly Red. I own the DragonFly myself, so that will be what I will be using to feed my new headphones. I normally listen through the Hifiman RE400 IEM's. These definitely sounded more sparkling during my comparison.

But maybe I should go back to have another listen, and then don't compare at all. Just get used to the PM-3 sound and enjoy the music......

I agree that different parts require burn in. But cables do not require burn in, its only your brain getting accustomed to the sound.
Certain Capacitors can require burn in but usually there is no difference with IC's.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #5,053 of 6,302

I agree that different parts require burn in. But cables do not require burn in, its only your brain getting accustomed to the sound.
Certain Capacitors can require burn in but usually there is no difference with IC's.

I agree with Jimster. Yes, electronics can burn in, since capacitors will need to be fully charged and some can take a little bit to get there, and even multibit chips will function better at their stable operating temperature. No, cables don't burn in as there is no stored energy in a cable, and since there are no other electronic components in the headphone, there's nothing there to be burned in.

I have found that my LCD-2's newest version actually did experience burn-in after I got it back from repair since the drivers were replaced with the newest revision. The new drivers exhibit some kind of crumpling effect and it takes the driver a little while to work it out. I found no such effect with them when I purchased them in 2014, and my PM-3 had absolutely zero burn-in effect as the diaphragm material is super reliable and exhibits no weird crumpling effect.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #5,054 of 6,302
I found out that my local audio dealer has both Oppo and Audeze. So I went there to listen to the PM-3 and the Audeze Sine. I found the Sine way less comfortable, so I would pass on
them for that reason alone. But they sounded nice and
engaging. The PM-3's had a much deeper (and still taut) bass though. Only, I found the PM-3's quite restrained, and not really involving. I know they have been described as being bit boring by some. On classical music I found them magical though.

"Restraintness"- sounds like something my wife puts-me-in when I start taking audio with her! I've owned my PM-3's for a month now. Use them with an Oppo HA2-se. I feel they do sound different (maybe-opened up a bit?) than when new. They do play louder now, than they did when plugged directly into my IPhone 6. I find myself, actually turning the volume down a notch or two. Does it change the fact that they're incredibly polite cans- umm NO. Here's the bottom line. I think people forget these cans are designed with portability in mind. I just flew back from the U.K. with them, a 4 day, 5 jets ride home (long story) and they work great for that environment/application. For 4 bills, they're hard to beat for great comfort, portability, isolation in/out and good sound. Period. Are they the cans to use at home listening, to the good stuff, the nice amp and good source. No. But they weren't designed for that. Good luck, have fun and keep expectations REAL.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #5,055 of 6,302
"Restraintness"- sounds like something my wife puts-me-in when I start taking audio with her! I've owned my PM-3's for a month now. Use them with an Oppo HA2-se. I feel they do sound different (maybe-opened up a bit?) than when new. They do play louder now, than they did when plugged directly into my IPhone 6. I find myself, actually turning the volume down a notch or two. Does it change the fact that they're incredibly polite cans- umm NO. Here's the bottom line. I think people forget these cans are designed with portability in mind. I just flew back from the U.K. with them, a 4 day, 5 jets ride home (long story) and they work great for that environment/application. For 4 bills, they're hard to beat for great comfort, portability, isolation in/out and good sound. Period. Are they the cans to use at home listening, to the good stuff, the nice amp and good source. No. But they weren't designed for that. Good luck, have fun and keep expectations REAL.

Thanks keeferdog and others for your input. It definitely helps forming my opinion. I think I will go listen to them for some time, without comparing with my own Hifiman RE400's. One thing you said I don't understand keeferdog. You say that the PM-3's are very good headphones, and perfect for traveling. But...........they are not the cans to use at home listening, to the good stuff, the nice amp and good source. Why not? Which headphone would you recommend for that purpose? Basically, what I want is ONE headphone for both traveling and listening at home. Only, listening at home for me will mean using the same iPhone with DragonFly, not a fancy headphone amp. And since there will be other people around, it has to be a closed back headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back