Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #4,996 of 6,302
I recently purchased this 4-core solid, solid silver plated cable for my PM-3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281199686467?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580244812777&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the slight improvement in clarity and instrument separation. Cymbals seem to have a faster start transient and shimmer a bit brighter. It is a solid wire, so it is not really portable as you have to be careful not to kink it.

I bought a silver plated cable for my LCD2F and had the same improvement. I have always found the Chinese cables to be of high quality, with sturdy connectors.

I listen to mostly acoustic music (jazz, classical, guitar), so your experience may differ.

I made a DIY version of this balanced cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audio-Canare-Starquad-Oppo-PM-3-Balanced-Headphone-Cable-2-Meter-/112279417341

I have not been able to test it on a truly balanced headphone amp yet. It did not offer any perceptable improvement on the stock, straight Oppo cable on my Centrance M8.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #4,997 of 6,302
I recently purchased this 4-core solid, solid silver plated cable for my PM-3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281199686467?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=580244812777&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the slight improvement in clarity and instrument separation. Cymbals seem to have a faster start transient and shimmer a bit brighter. It is a solid wire, so it is not really portable as you have to be careful not to kink it.

I bought a silver plated cable for my LCD2F and had the same improvement. I have always found the Chinese cables to be of high quality, with sturdy connectors.

I listen to mostly acoustic music (jazz, classical, guitar), so your experience may differ.

I made a DIY version of this balanced cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audio-Canare-Starquad-Oppo-PM-3-Balanced-Headphone-Cable-2-Meter-/112279417341

I have not been able to test it on a truly balanced headphone amp yet. It did not offer any perceptable improvement on the stock, straight Oppo cable on my Centrance M8.

Thanks for the reply and information. Do you find that the cable kinks easily or only when walking around. The mentioned benefits sound awesome and is what i am looking for. Is it similar to a double helix construction? Is there anyone that is part of this community who can construct one for me? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #4,998 of 6,302
Thanks for the reply and information. Do you find that the cable kinks easily or only when walking around. The mentioned benefits sound awesome and is what i am looking for. Is it similar to a double helix construction? Is there anyone that is part of this community who can construct one for me? 

Look at the photo on eBay.. It is twisted, not litz or double helix. It is a stiff, 1/8in cable. Why look for local help when you can get quick delivery from China, at that price?

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #5,002 of 6,302
  Can someone please post an image of a person actually wearing the "Steel Blue" versions? I can't find a photo of this anywhere. The Black seem a tad muted and the White too bold for my tastes. I just can't tell what I think of the Blue unless I see them on an actual person's head haha.

I don't have a pic of them on my head but i do have a pic.   they do look nice while your wearing them.  I don't have them anymore so i can't take another pic

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,003 of 6,302
Just ordered a refurbished black pm-3 from Oppo over the phone, though it was not listed online. I'm so excited! I, like others here, have the Hifiman 400i and got these as a portable compliment. Been hemming and hawing for months, and considered the MDR1A but finally pulled the trigger for $319. With the case included it comes to the same price as an MDR1A plus case.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #5,004 of 6,302

Quote:
Just ordered a refurbished black pm-3 from Oppo over the phone, though it was not listed online. I'm so excited! I, like others here, have the Hifiman 400i and got these as a portable compliment. Been hemming and hawing for months, and considered the MDR1A but finally pulled the trigger for $319. With the case included it comes to the same price as an MDR1A plus case.

I have owned all three of the headphone you mentioned, the Sony signature was not for me and was returned within 30 days of ownership. The Hifiman are nice but I gifted them because they were not getting much head time and were an open pair, I too needed a closed headphone for portability.

So my need for a closed can to listen without anyone around me being disturbed was something I didn't own and researched for a long time. The Oppo PM3 have been the best solution and has an excellent all around sound signature. The PM3 sound is the most neutral of all the phones I posses and for a closed pair image well, bottom end is tight and undistorted the high are there but tamed. you will be very happy, ill also add they scale well with better gear too, enjoy them they really are a great bang for the buck.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #5,005 of 6,302
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. After my introduction in the relevant thread, this is my second post.

Reason for registering here and taking part, is that I want to get a little bit more serious about headphones. Most of my listening time is through loudspeakers, but my current home situation makes that a significant part of my musical taste is not shared with my housemates. Therefore I want to add a headphone.

My listening won't be (at least not initially, but you never know how strong the headphone virus will get) though a dedicated headphone amp. It will be iPhone + Dragonfly Red........  + the still to be purchased headphone. The current quiet listening is through a Hifiman RE400 IEM, but I think it can be better.

Because my listening will partly be in a room which I share with other people, and because I may use it during travel, a closed headphone will be my choice.

After reading a number of reviews, and setting a limit to my budget, my first choice is the Oppo PM-3. I found this thread, and read quite a bit of it, certainly the first 30 pages, where many valuable impressions and comparisons are discussed. But I haven't read all 5000+ posts. So my question may have been asked before, apologies if that is the case.

I know from experience that it is ALWAYS the best to listen for yourself before you buy. However, where I live (United Arab Emirates) these headphones are nowhere on demo (neither Hifiman, although Audeze is sold here). The only way I can get these is through online purchase. So it will be a bit of a gamble. But the reviews, and all the impressions and comparisons here have given me a pretty good idea of the tonal character of the PM-3, and I am pretty confident that it is in line with my taste. But there is one thing that I am a bit concerned about, but can't check for myself unfortunately. That is the soundstage. In all reviews it is stated that the PM-3, being a closed back headphone, has a relatively narrow soundstage (especially in the numerous comparisons with the Hifiman's HE-400s and HE-400i this is often mentioned). Now, when it is about loudspeakers, I really love a wide, deep and precise soundstage, so it is a point for me.

However, without having heard any other headphones for years, I don't know what that comparison means. Therefore I hope that some of you can make a comparison to what I DO know, the soundstage of an IEM. How would that compare with the PM-3? And is someone able to compare it specifically with the Hifiman RE400?

I hope I didn't ask an impossible or strange question. Looking forward to your replies :)

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #5,006 of 6,302

To my experience (I am a happy PM-3 owner travelling quite a lot in trains) the sound stage is OK. I understand your question, also appreciating a real 3D soundstage at my loudspeakers. It is a trade-off when it comes to closed headphones but the PM-3's is a good compromise - really close to sound from outside and also not sending out sound and still  - quite OK with the soundstage to my experience. So no warnings from my side.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5,007 of 6,302

To my experience (I am a happy PM-3 owner travelling quite a lot in trains) the sound stage is OK. I understand your question, also appreciating a real 3D soundstage at my loudspeakers. It is a trade-off when it comes to closed headphones but the PM-3's is a good compromise - really close to sound from outside and also not sending out sound and still  - quite OK with the soundstage to my experience. So no warnings from my side.

Thanks henrylar, this helps forming my opinion.

Of course, if someone can compare to the Hifiman RE400 (or IEM's in general), that would be very welcome.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #5,010 of 6,302
True that PM-3 doesn't have a huge sound stage but instrument separation and positioning accuracy is top notch and voices sound heavenly and natural. Best portable headphones in my view.

​Thanks sabloke. And it looks like you have used quite a few headphones, so you know what you are talking about. Did I understand correctly that you also own the closed Audioquests? Also these would have limited soundstage I assume....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back