Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 11, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #4,981 of 6,302
I have 2 sound cards : ASUS STX ll for music and Creative Sound Blaster for gaming
Would you recommend to replace the ASUS STX ll?
I'd like to keep the Creative Zx, for gaming is the best, imo
So, in case I replace the asus stx, what would you recommend ?
Thank you

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #4,982 of 6,302
Reduce treble? What are you driving the Oppos with? I would never call these cans bright so my guess is there's something wrong with your source

I wondered the same. This is rather weird - the PM-3 is known to be a bit on the warm side - so too much treble is surprising indeed.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #4,983 of 6,302
hey guys,
I got a pair of white pm-3s yesterday. unfotunately the earpads got somehow blue stains on them.
I tried anything from alcohol to acetone, but the stain doesn't go away. I emailed oppo about that and ask them
to send(sell) me a new pair. anyone has experience with oppo sending replanements?
I'm in Germany BTW and contacted oppodigital.co.uk...

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #4,984 of 6,302
I will send them back, the main reason : too tight 
I'd go for something similar, but a bit better  / wider soundstage
What would you recommend, for about 700 - 800 euro ?
They should isolate well, as OPPO PM 3 or better, thats a must

Thank you

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #4,988 of 6,302
Can someone please post an image of a person actually wearing the "Steel Blue" versions? I can't find a photo of this anywhere. The Black seem a tad muted and the White too bold for my tastes. I just can't tell what I think of the Blue unless I see them on an actual person's head haha.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #4,989 of 6,302
I have 2 sound cards : ASUS STX ll for music and Creative Sound Blaster for gaming
Would you recommend to replace the ASUS STX ll?
I'd like to keep the Creative Zx, for gaming is the best, imo
So, in case I replace the asus stx, what would you recommend ?
Thank you

Get a real audio setup then...
.Like a Schiit Modi Multibit, SMSL M8, Topping D30/A30, etc

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #4,990 of 6,302
Hey guys can anyone recommend a balanced cable that is reasonable priced. I have a oppo pm3 driven by a fiio x3 and e12a amp. Is there any techs here that manufacture cables? Thanks for the help.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #4,991 of 6,302
Hey guys can anyone recommend a balanced cable that is reasonable priced. I have a oppo pm3 driven by a fiio x3 and e12a amp. Is there any techs here that manufacture cables? Thanks for the help.

Not sure why you would want a balanced cable for that set-up. The FiiO X3 definitely doesn't have a balanced output and I am reasonably sure the e12A doesn't either. There would be absolutely no benefit to using a balanced cable with that set-up.Your source needs to have a balanced architecture to realize any benefit from a balanced connection.

I own the PM-3s that I use with a FiiO X5 1st gen. I am seriously considering the purchase of an X5 third gen which does have a balanced design. If I do purchase the gen 3 I will get a balanced cable to try even though most reviews of the gen 3 seem to indicate very little difference between balanced operation and single ended.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #4,993 of 6,302
Not sure why you would want a balanced cable for that set-up. The FiiO X3 definitely doesn't have a balanced output and I am reasonably sure the e12A doesn't either. There would be absolutely no benefit to using a balanced cable with that set-up.Your source needs to have a balanced architecture to realize any benefit from a balanced connection.

I own the PM-3s that I use with a FiiO X5 1st gen. I am seriously considering the purchase of an X5 third gen which does have a balanced design. If I do purchase the gen 3 I will get a balanced cable to try even though most reviews of the gen 3 seem to indicate very little difference between balanced operation and single ended.
Thanks for the reply, I was unaware that this Dap did not have a balanced output as I am new to the head Fi world. Is there any benefits to having an aftermarket cable?

Thanks for the reply, I was unaware that this Dap did not have a balanced output as I am new to the head Fi world. Is there any benefits to having an aftermarket cable?

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #4,994 of 6,302

Well, that's a whole different ball of wax. I actually started a thread on Head-fi about that very subject. I only ended up trying one aftermarket cable with my PM -3's, an Audioquest one.
That was some time ago, but I don't really remember there being any significant difference. That doesn't mean there won't be with another cable though. Unfortunately there is really only one way to find out for sure, you will have to try one out for yourself.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #4,995 of 6,302
I have a FAW Noir hpc mk2 since some weeks for my QP1R with my pm3's. And I love it. Better bass, or warmer sound overall, punch, I don't know how to say.
Never believed really in cables. It's not a revolution though, but I like the sound much more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back