Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,366 of 6,302
Okay - but using mojo or idsd micro can you adjust volume using iOS pm3 HEADPHONES cable toggle switch. Not on iPhone or DAC, but using the PM3s iOS cable's built in toggle buttons. The bummer with dragonfly red is I can only adjust volume using iPhone or iPad itself. DFR does not support headphone control.

That would be a no on the mojo, not sure about the idsd since I don't own it.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,367 of 6,302
Okay - but using mojo or idsd micro can you adjust volume using iOS pm3 HEADPHONES cable toggle switch. Not on iPhone or DAC, but using the PM3s iOS cable's built in toggle buttons. The bummer with dragonfly red is I can only adjust volume using iPhone or iPad itself. DFR does not support headphone control.

I don't know of any DACs out there that do this for sure. The cable is built to interface with the iPhone and not a DAC, once you have your DAC controlling the audio, the cable won't do anything. Maybe there's a DAC that passes those inputs through but I've not heard of it nor is it mentioned as a feature of most popular mobile DAC/amps.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure if you want to use the volume controls on your cable, you'll just have to plug straight in to the phone. With more Lightning cable DAC/Amps to come (ala Audeze Cipher), you may have a better option soon. That is, if Apple really does get rid of the 3.5mm audio jack. I wonder how good they'll sound though as they are quite tiny, a sophisticated amp/DAC in that form-factor seems a ways off.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #4,368 of 6,302
I wonder how good they'll sound though as they are quite tiny, a sophisticated amp/DAC in that form-factor seems a ways off.

Size is an over-emphasized aspect of devices. I have two very nice Bluetooth headphones currently, both of course have very small spaces for DAC and amp circuitry and yet they still sound very, very good. Given the trend toward portability (even within say a home not just out and about) it is only a matter of time and some R&D dollars and we will see the continued improvement in small/micro audio circuits. Seriously my B&O H7 and my new Onkyo H500BT are pretty nice sounding devices.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #4,369 of 6,302
  Size is an over-emphasized aspect of devices. I have two very nice Bluetooth headphones currently, both of course have very small spaces for DAC and amp circuitry and yet they still sound very, very good. Given the trend toward portability (even within say a home not just out and about) it is only a matter of time and some R&D dollars and we will see the continued improvement in small/micro audio circuits. Seriously my B&O H7 and my new Onkyo H500BT are pretty nice sounding devices.

I would hope so, all the mobile solutions thus far are far too big to keep in my pocket comfortably. I prefer listening right out of my phone for convenience.

I wonder why they need to be so big if a much smaller solutions can compete?

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #4,371 of 6,302

Sold my HA-2 got a DF Red been using the red on the daily commute with shure 535 and PM3 at home.  I do not miss the HA one bit, I got fed up with the stacking and do not feel I am missing out at all infact prefer the sound out of the dragon fly red if truth be told feels warmer/bigger to me and brightens the top end of the PM3 a touch with seamless integration zero fuss on an iPhone not so much on android devices the latter from reading the DF Red thread moved from android S6 Edge to iphone 6s plus at about the same time.  Selling my PM3 as it happens but did not regret the switch to DF red one bit and paired well with PM3.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling your PM-3's?  Just curious as I was just about to get some.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #4,372 of 6,302
If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling your PM-3's?  Just curious as I was just about to get some.

Was a comfort rather than sound thing for me they hurt the top of my head, kept them for just under four months as I did enjoy them other than the comfort issue, thought they may bed in but alas no. That and needed to claw a bit cash back after buying some new Audeze LCD 2s ironic really considering how heavy those are but there not going anywhere.

Well worth a look don't let me put you off your purchase.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #4,373 of 6,302

Was a comfort rather than sound thing for me they hurt the top of my head, kept them for just under four months as I did enjoy them other than the comfort issue, thought they may bed in but alas no. That and needed to claw a bit cash back after buying some new Audeze LCD 2s ironic really considering how heavy those are but there not going anywhere.

Well worth a look don't let me put you off your purchase.

You didn't mention how you'll be listening but I am auditioning PM3 and Audeze Sine + Cipher with iPhone and Tidal as portable source, and Yamaha reference AVR for home audio source. Here is my experience so far. I find the PM3s so, so much more comfy than Sine. Because the Sine has the Cipher lightning cable with built in DAC that overrides iPhone DAC, I bought a dragonfly red USB DAC and Apple CCK that I tried with PM3s. The thought was "apples to apples" in terms of external extra DAC "oomph". I can say the dragonfly is definitely being returned. For me personally the extra hardware is too frankensteinish and with DFR you lose headphone volume & track control. I'm not exactly winning any popularity contest in the DFR forum.

I find the PM3s very, very comfy right out of the box and I wear glasses. They sound almost, but not quite as good as Sine for portable use. Using my home reference Yamaha AVR, the PM3s shine brighter than Sine. And... I am struggling to feel half the same comfort with Sine but I think lighting cable connection is the future if iPhone 7 rumors are true, no more 3.5mm headphone jack.

My ears are sore from demo-Ing the new gear.... but it's a toss up for me right now.

Then there is cost to think about and I'm thinking about it. A lot.

FYI you can get a pair of refurb PM3s from Oppo for $319. Oppo even shipped UPS instead of FedEx ground because UPS is more secure and offers flexible drop-off points for me in NYC. I bought refurb PM3 and if I didn't know I'd swear was brand new. Gorgeous presentation box, super nice hard carry case with zipper. Same 30 day return/audition period, same warranty. So if they don't feel good, you can return them.

Sine is almost $550 with tax in NY. No hard case, just carry bag made of cloth.

Choices, choices....good luck!

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #4,374 of 6,302
I find the PM3s very, very comfy right out of the box and I wear glasses. They sound almost, but not quite as good as Sine for portable use. Using my home reference Yamaha AVR, the PM3s shine brighter than Sine. And... I am struggling to feel half the same comfort with Sine but I think lighting cable connection is the future if iPhone 7 rumors are true, no more 3.5mm headphone jack.

Take off the glasses and the PM-3 will sound even better. Not that they sound bad with glasses and I've found them comfortable to wear with glasses as well.

I'm hoping for a Lightning cable DAC/AMP (similar to the Cipher) but with the ability to plug in a 3.5mm source, that way the DAC/Amp fits seamlessly with any headphone and you don't have to add another device to your setup. For harder to drive headphones it may not be the best solution but I think would work well with the PM-3s, who don't need a ton of power to sound better but would benefit from a slightly better/more powerful amp.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #4,376 of 6,302
  Any reason why Cipher wouldn't work with PM3?

In its current state, it seems you'd at least need an adapter as it terminates with EL-8 connectors. I don't know of anyone that makes a 2x female EL-8 to 3.5mm cable. And it's only available with an EL-8 or Sine to my knowledge. If you get past those hurdles, I would think it would work with anything, don't see why it wouldn't.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4,378 of 6,302
  Take off the glasses and the PM-3 will sound even better. Not that they sound bad with glasses and I've found them comfortable to wear with glasses as well.

I found that the bass performance dropped considerably when the seal was broken when wearing sun glasses. You don't find it so?

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,379 of 6,302
  I found that the bass performance dropped considerably when the seal was broken when wearing sun glasses. You don't find it so?

Not super drastic with my glasses but you really lose the sub bass and some impact, the most fun part of the PM-3 for me. It still sounds alright, but not to is full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back