Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 29, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,616 of 6,302
more practice this time with braiding cable... ugh putting the sleeving on and cabling was really friggin hard... anyway here's a pic 

looks really nice.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #3,617 of 6,302
more practice this time with braiding cable... ugh putting the sleeving on and braiding the cable was really friggin hard...

Looks Great! I would try putting the sleeving on before braiding though.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,618 of 6,302
Sounds pretty fantastic with the E18, doesn't it? Still surprised by how much I love that little DAC/amp.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #3,621 of 6,302
I wanted to try a sleeving then a braid before I got the [COLOR=212121]Double[/COLOR][COLOR=212121] [/COLOR][COLOR=212121]Helix in.. Glad I tried it.. Will def go with a much loser braid on that cable then a sleeving over the top of it all this when I do that cable [/COLOR]

I found that the paracord sleeve from climbing rope is soft and flexible... Not the cheapest solution however... Remember to leave one strand of rope in the sleeve as the leader to pull your cable through.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,622 of 6,302
OK finally get the Nucleotide V3 24awg stranded OCC copper cable and Eidolic ends tomorrow.. today I went ahead and try yet another cable method.. this is my fav so far... 4 strand round braid within a sleeve. The braiding on this was the hardest but I like the results, will prob copy for my cable tomorrow.

NOTE to self... When you run short on 3.5mm ends dont use radio shack ones.. two of the ends I bought has a short in them.. needless to say this can cause a huge headache. Next time I will wait it out for and internet delivery lol

BTW for the last two cables I just used some cheap 24 awg speaker cable I had in the garage :p Put money down in the end none of the cables will sound different.. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #3,623 of 6,302
NOTE to self... When you run short on 3.5mm ends dont use radio shack ones..

TOTALLY! The Shack doesn't stock the good stuff! I bought from them many times, only to have stuff not work, or die out rather quickly. They also LOVE plastic bodied connectors. Who wants to spend the time to build a cable and use a plastic body connector?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #3,624 of 6,302

TOTALLY! The Shack doesn't stock the good stuff! I bought from them many times, only to have stuff not work, or die out rather quickly. They also LOVE plastic bodied connectors. Who wants to spend the time to build a cable and use a plastic body connector?

The only thing I've bought from them that didn't break immediately were fuses. No wonder they went under so hard. Everything they sold was crap.

Their last effort to save the store was to try selling Otter Boxes and other iPhone cases. What a joke.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #3,626 of 6,302

The Shack doesn't stock any stuff anymore.

There are still physical stores. I have one 10 minutes from me. I haven't been in there since I went to get a Coax splitter and they wanted $20 for it and Walmart had one for $6.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,627 of 6,302
  The only thing I've bought from them that didn't break immediately were fuses. No wonder they went under so hard. Everything they sold was crap.

Their last effort to save the store was to try selling Otter Boxes and other iPhone cases. What a joke.

In Canada they rebranded as The Source. I have purchased some decent gear from them. Way back when, like the 80s, they used to sell some decent gear like Realistic Minimus 7 Speakers and their cables used to be very good. I guess times have changed.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3,628 of 6,302
  In Canada they rebranded as The Source. I have purchased some decent gear from them. Way back when, like the 80s, they used to sell some decent gear like Realistic Minimus 7 Speakers and their cables used to be very good. I guess times have changed.

We're getting way off topic here and I promise to not post about this after this, but the only speaker wire the Radio Shack near me had before it closed was 16 gauge radio shack brand in 50 and 100 foot sections. It was the kind of cable that comes for free with those crappy stereo systems they sell at supermarket electronics sections..

Speaking of cables, fantastic job on all of the cables you guys are making. They look really great and I'm sure they sound awesome. The only disappointing thing about the PM-3 is the cable. The quality of it just doesn't match the headphone. I guess they must have been going for thin and ultra portable. It reminds me of the stock Audeze cable, which has tiny thin strands of cable and it knicks very easily. I plan on ordering a cable from Forza AudioWorks soon.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #3,629 of 6,302
  for overall well-balanced sound sig closed headphones, primes is solid. good technical ability in speed and sound stage as well. bit pricy at msrp, but at the current deals price (overall solid value relative to the market).

pm-3 if you require portability. otherwise, I would go akg k553 or alpha prime depending on relative budget & perception of value/what price point is worth it. k553 measures really well and is quite competitive despite its really inexpensive price point.

btw, closed ether was announced today. so may want to wait if you can wait to see some impressions flow in.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but would you be able to provide the K553 measurements? ive been looking for a while and ive only been able to find K550's thanks!

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #3,630 of 6,302
I love the sound of these with my glasses off, but I get next to no bass while wearing my glasses if there's an air gap in the pads.  I know I've seen this mentioned in a couple reviews, but is this something that goes away over time as the pads wear in a little?  If not, I'll probably have to return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back