Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,556 of 6,302

Are not the 400i's $500 :p but yeah they are on my list to pick up when I have the funds.. Prob a few months from now. 

Are they? They were on sale so often recently at $299 that I just assumed the price has remained down. I know some sellers if you e-mail them and ask for their best price will reduce the cost. Mine were new, and shipped for $389 US. PM me if you want and I can tell you who the seller was. Anyway, the 400i is really across the board a better headphone, as much as I love the PM3 I can't think of a single thing it does better or even as well (besides isolate and be portable).

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,557 of 6,302

If you can still get them for 299 lol let me know and I will buy them right now :p

389 is also a good deal but I would have to wait a pay check or two to pay off my PM-3's first or I might get in some trouble with the wife lol

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,559 of 6,302
I will bet at least one seller would drop the price by $100 if asked privately. Regardless, I would feel comfortable saying the 400i is better enough versus the PM3 to justify even $100 more. That of course depends on needs and wants, but objectively speaking the 400i is the better technical headphone and it actually manages to be quite musical. The PM3 as forgiving as it is feels congested in comparison.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3,560 of 6,302
  Dang. Oppo will shoot me now if I decide to return these too. I already sent back my HA-2.

They don't care, you are a number to them ultimately, do what is best for you, you can bet Oppo won't crumble.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,561 of 6,302

They don't care, you are a number to them ultimately, do what is best for you, you can bet Oppo won't crumble.

OK. I'll see if they synergize with my just purchased JDS Labs Element. If it sounds bad with it, it'll go back.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,562 of 6,302

OK. I'll see if they synergize with my just purchased JDS Labs Element. If it sounds bad with it, it'll go back.

The Element looks good on paper and I don't doubt it is just as good in actual use. My buddy really wants one.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #3,564 of 6,302
Why would you send them back? The only way I am letting my PM-3's go is if someone pulls them from my cold dead hand lol.. Best portable closed back headphone out there if you ask me!

I agree, but I think he is looking for something more for at home. But yes, as a portable the PM3 is AWESOME, and even for at home it is very good, but if you haven't heard the 400i it is quite exceptional. There are people who prefer it to the HE1000 and HEX. If somebody says they want an easy to drive planar for at home and closed isn't their main need then the 400i is WELL worth considering. All subjective of course.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #3,565 of 6,302
I agree, but I think he is looking for something more for at home. But yes, as a portable the PM3 is AWESOME, and even for at home it is very good, but if you haven't heard the 400i it is quite exceptional. There are people who prefer it to the HE1000 and HEX. If somebody says they want an easy to drive planar for at home and closed isn't their main need then the 400i is WELL worth considering. All subjective of course.

Gotcha.. Well yeah if he is looking for something at home and sound leakage isn't an issue, he should def be looking at open solutions.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #3,566 of 6,302

That would definitely be d1sturb1ng.

Shipping might be expensive, but it is possible for you to order directly from Oppo Digital (in the U.S.):

https://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-Offline-OrderForm.aspx

I am trying to source locally because if there is a chance mine has a defect then it would be a pain to send it again and shipping costs will be absurd

That is rather sad, disrespectful even.

I know right, I am not sure why aren't local stores picking this up. Maybe OPPO only sells direct, because one of the audio stores here even have an Ether-C!!

Where do you live?  Aren't the PM-3's assembled either in China or the US?

PM headphones parts are from China and sent to RP (Philippines) to be assembled and sent out again to the US.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #3,567 of 6,302
Well, I decided to get a second hand Momentum cheap for portable use, as I don't need portable headphones very often.  Can anyone recommend a full size closed back that is similar to the pm-3 but with a bigger soundstage?  That was my main issue I had with the pm-3 when I demoed them, was the congested soundstage.

Quote:

If you can still get them for 299 lol let me know and I will buy them right now :p

389 is also a good deal but I would have to wait a pay check or two to pay off my PM-3's first or I might get in some trouble with the wife lol

Keep an eye out for them, as sellers on amazon will sometimes discount them down to around $299 or $399 ever since the crazy deals around black friday and christmas.  (Alternatively, I might be selling my 2 month old pair, pm me if you want)

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,568 of 6,302
Been using my Oppo PM-3 headphones for about a week and holy crap these have blown me away. They have a soundstage that really sounds like it's bigger than the headphone itself. The detail and separation are fantastic, extremely resolving and clean sound. It does about 90% of my LCD-2F, but since my office is connected to a loud chemical plant, I'm able to hear more with a closed headphone again.

The only thing I'm missing is the total separation that the LCD-2F provides, with even more liquid smooth bass present. Guitar tone is just a touch better, more aggressive, and a little more live sounding, but I'm not complaining for the price of these headphones and because they're closed. Far exceeded my expectations. Amazingly comfortable as well.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,569 of 6,302

Keep an eye out for them, as sellers on amazon will sometimes discount them down to around $299 or $399 ever since the crazy deals around black friday and christmas.  (Alternatively, I might be selling my 2 month old pair, pm me if you want)

Have you considered the Z7? It has a nice even tonality, stupidly comfortable, can be used balanced, well made. The bass doesn't go deep into the sub region, but it has adequate sub bass and very clean bass above the sub bands. If you can find it used the prices are typically reasonable as Sony headphones (besides the R10) don't seem to hold their value as well as other brands. I would say the Z7 has a better soundstage as well. I really enjoyed it and only sold mine to fund a TH 900 purchase I made.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,570 of 6,302
So, I've been using my PM-3 on my multiple walks a day with my 2 puppies. I actually like how they sound out of my Galaxy Note 3. I think they sound less clear, but more thick and molasses like out of my iPod 5.5G, but also less detailed.  I wouldn't mind a nice little (inexpensive) USB DAC that is the size of a thumbstick, but I'm in no rush to pick one of those up. In the end, the PM-3 aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back