Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #3,316 of 6,302
  You can pinpoint it, the signature has rolled off treble and warmed up upper mids. Those would be some critical frequencies to fix up. The fact that you really like the PM3 with this music strongly suggests that while you may think you like distorted guitars, you really don't, or at least not as raw as they can be presented. I have spent my life with hard rock and metal, came of age in the 80s, but once you turn it up, those overdriven guitars become a very unpleasant wall of noise and suck the bass right out of the music.

I can't stand rock recordings that during melodic passages give you nice thick and chewy bass, but then when the crashing choruses and bridges slam in, all you get is a distorted blast of guitar that makes the music thin and strained with no impact at all beyond screeching highs. Now this isn't always the case, Tool for instance seems to record awesome power passages that are listenable, but in my experience this isn't common. Essentially people like us who like a smoothing signature for rock are considered losers by hard-core fans who think that terrible distortion tolerance is a badge of manhood and courage and the worst thing you could do would be to clean anything up, pure sacrilege. Personally I like the craptastic sounding edge taken off myself.

HMMM....ok

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,317 of 6,302
  HMMM....ok

I know, you don't agree, and I get that as my position was a strong rant essentially. Nonetheless, I still stand by it, much of the aggressive rock/metal genre sounds like ass when it is turned up, not all, but in my experience quite a bit of it. Still a huge fan, but I find it disappointing when I go to play the material now through fairly transparent audio chains and get so much noise. The other day (and I knew this was a bad recording) I play A Perfect Circle 13 Steps, during the quiet melodic passages, it was kind of nice at points in terms of sound quality, there was some impactful bass, then when the loud passages hit, well I'm repeating myself, just bloody noise, couldn't even listen to the end. Sure if I turned it down to background level it was okay.

As I said, I freely admit there is so much I haven't heard so I can't say this holds true always; however, I'm almost 48 and have been listening to rock and metal since the 80s and in general, this has been my experience. Ultimately I'm glad because as I began thirsting for music that I could enjoy and sounded good I discovered so much that I liked that otherwise when I was too narrow in my focus I would never have tried.

Now I love electronica for instance, hell there is even R&B, Hip Hop that is actually palatable to me now, sometimes brilliant, and great jazz and some soul music. So much to listen too, so little time. Okay, second rant over, my apology.

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #3,318 of 6,302
Looking for a little insight. 

Does any also own Beyerdynamic DT1770's or has done a comparison between them and the PM-3's? 

The reason I ask is that I ordered the DT1770's from Amazon (direct, not a 3rd party) on Black Friday and got them at quite a good price. Only issue was that they were out of them and I had to wait. Frankly, I had given up on the order ever being fulfilled so earlier this month I ordered the PM-3's as $400 was my max price. Today I received a email that the DT1770's have shipped. 

I have had the PM-3's for a few weeks and enjoy them. They replaced ATH M50's. 

Just wondering how much better, if at all, the DT-1770's are. My guess is that they are both excellent in their own right. Wondering if there are significant differences in the sound. One pair will be returned or sold. No need for two pair of headphones. 

Yes, I can open them and listen for myself - but want to see what the community thinks before I open the box. 

The headphones are used with an AKJr. Music all in FLAC. Also have a Fiio E12A amp. 

Going to cross post this in the Oppo PM-3 thread. 

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,323 of 6,302
You're referring to the Pono Player right?

This video sums it up pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQUFCCcQ4A

You can get a much, much better DAP for the $399 asking price.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #3,324 of 6,302
For a dissenting opinion, I have a Pono and the PM-3 and the pairing is absolutely sensational. I'm sure you can get a DAP with a much, much better UI for the asking price, but I highly doubt you can get a DAP with much, much better sound for the asking price.

Also, Fry's frequently runs deals on the Pono for $299, so I'd suggest your friend gets on Fry's email list to take advantage of the next time they run that deal.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #3,325 of 6,302
Ah, one of the Pono haters, I see. So clearly I should listen to the video made by some unknown clown on the internet, because that means that Inner Fidelity, The Absolute Sound, Audio Stream, John Atkinson of Stereophile, and countless other expert reviewers are wrong about the Pono being a great DAP?

JC

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #3,330 of 6,302
  Great info on the Oppo and Pono pairing, and the Fry's Pono deals. Thank you!

It is considerably more money, but if you want to hear sick synergy with the PM3 the Onkyo DP-X1 is nuts in balanced. It is damn good SE, but balanced does seem to bring it up a noticeable notch beyond simply more power. That is a combination to consider. Sublime actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back