Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 31, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #3,332 of 6,302
  Can't wait to try my PM-3s balanced on DP-X1. Press the standalone button when balanced, in SE it seems to clear up the sound a bit.

Cool. I just turn off WiFi and Bluetooth as I need the screen which I think standalone turns off. I assume that it exits standalone when you hit the power button to activate the screen.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #3,334 of 6,302
  That's correct. Standalone mode is reset when you press the power button. You can only use it when playing local files to plugged in headphones :)

Okay, thanks. What filter and lock range have you been using? I am now trying out, and so far liking, sharp with the lock range almost as narrow as possible. Have you experimented at all?

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #3,336 of 6,302
Long time no see...

It's been years since I last posted on Head-Fi, and sold my gear. But now I feel the urge again... Haha. I'm looking for the ultimate portable over-ear headphone that offers good looks, comfort and most importantly great sound. I've been looking all over the internet, and it seems that the OPPO PM-3 and DENON AH-MM400 come up the most as being the top players in this game. Yesterday I tried the DENONs in a store, and I wasn't blown away. Granted I don't know if they were properly burned in. The highs were kinda sibilant and not very pleasant tbh. But I really enjoyed the tight and focused bass, and the punch was really nice. They were super comfortable, and probably the most comfortable headphone I've tried. Lastly I think they look kinda tacky... Haha. I live in Denmark, and let's just say that taxes and import fees are pretty crazy here. The DENONs cost 435$ here and the OPPOs are a whopping 579$... Even though I've not tried the OPPO's, (I can't since no store near me sells them), they seem perfect for me. It's probably the best looking headphone I've ever seen, the comfort should be there with the deep ear cups and memory foam, and what people describe the sound to be, seems almost perfect for me. The planar technology just seems exciting to me. If I buy the OPPO's I can always return them, but it would be a pain in the ass... So basically it comes down to this: Are the OPPOs worth the extra money over the DENONs for me? I hope you can help me out here!

- Jonas

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #3,337 of 6,302
  Long time no see...

and the OPPOs are a whopping 579$...
- Jonas

$679 in Canada so count your blessings, and that is before the 13% HST we pay. Our dollar has taken a huge pounding with the fluctuation in commodities and with Canada being such a massive supplier of commodities it has been rough. I remember about three years ago buying a D7000 from a Florida based member and our dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Man those were fun times, wish I had bought even more gear. Just purchased the Onkyo DP-X1 and with paying for fast shipping, the fees to get it out of Japan it was $982 Canadian. So, yah I think your doing okay in Denmark. :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,338 of 6,302
Sharp and middle. The filter is not changing much and the range is best left default in my view.

I will have to test more, but it appears that with sharp and narrow some of the bass boom of the PM3 is cleaned up. With bass heavy music, and loud playback volume the PM3 does loose bass control a little and gets boomy. It is a closed design so that is just a fact that can't be avoided, but it does seem those settings help.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #3,339 of 6,302
$679 in Canada so count your blessings, and that is before the 13% HST we pay. Our dollar has taken a huge pounding with the fluctuation in commodities and with Canada being such a massive supplier of commodities it has been rough. I remember about three years ago buying a D7000 from a Florida based member and our dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Man those were fun times, wish I had bought even more gear. Just purchased the Onkyo DP-X1 and with paying for fast shipping, the fees to get it out of Japan it was $982 Canadian. So, yah I think your doing okay in Denmark. :)

I paid $570 shipped in Canada, 5% taxes.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3,340 of 6,302
  Long time no see...

It's been years since I last posted on Head-Fi, and sold my gear. But now I feel the urge again... Haha. I'm looking for the ultimate portable over-ear headphone that offers good looks, comfort and most importantly great sound. I've been looking all over the internet, and it seems that the OPPO PM-3 and DENON AH-MM400 come up the most as being the top players in this game. Yesterday I tried the DENONs in a store, and I wasn't blown away. Granted I don't know if they were properly burned in. The highs were kinda sibilant and not very pleasant tbh. But I really enjoyed the tight and focused bass, and the punch was really nice. They were super comfortable, and probably the most comfortable headphone I've tried. Lastly I think they look kinda tacky... Haha. I live in Denmark, and let's just say that taxes and import fees are pretty crazy here. The DENONs cost 435$ here and the OPPOs are a whopping 579$... Even though I've not tried the OPPO's, (I can't since no store near me sells them), they seem perfect for me. It's probably the best looking headphone I've ever seen, the comfort should be there with the deep ear cups and memory foam, and what people describe the sound to be, seems almost perfect for me. The planar technology just seems exciting to me. If I buy the OPPO's I can always return them, but it would be a pain in the ass... So basically it comes down to this: Are the OPPOs worth the extra money over the DENONs for me? I hope you can help me out here!

- Jonas

Welcome back.  This is my first year back after a long absence.  Like you I combed the forums and landed on the PM-3 as my portable solution.  I love it.  It's comfortable and I can listen to it for hours very enjoyably.  There are endless opinions and personal preferences and hundreds of headphones to match thumbnut the PM-3 has attracted a lot of fans. One caution that I would offer is that the cans are not that big or deep like stay at home units.  Some here have complained that their ears touch the pads or the drivers.  I think mine do occasionally depending on how I put them on.  If you have big ears and that would bother you then you might want to think about it and possibly look elsewhere--but I know not what to suggest as I love the planar sound.  This doesn't apply just to Oppo, it applies to many if not most portable cans. Of necessity they are smaller.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,342 of 6,302
I paid $570 shipped in Canada, 5% taxes.

Where and when? You must live in Alberta (if so get ready, in the next few years you will have provincial sales tax). Last week  headphonebar.com out of Vancouver the PM3 was $679. If you bought yours even 6 months ago the difference of course reflects just how much the dollar has dropped. I paid $450 Canadian slightly used, shipped and of course no taxes.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,344 of 6,302
Where and when? You must live in Alberta (if so get ready, in the next few years you will have provincial sales tax). Last week  headphonebar.com out of Vancouver the PM3 was $679. If you bought yours even 6 months ago the difference of course reflects just how much the dollar has dropped. I paid $450 Canadian slightly used, shipped and of course no taxes.

Bought last week, $590 all in brand new.
http://www.solutionsav.ca/oppo/

Ya, sales tax is probably in our future. It's about time though, no reason we don't have one.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,345 of 6,302
I got my pm-3 on saturday. And i know these don't need any extra amping but boy after listening on my ifi micro idsd and ican with the bass boost and the 3D these sound awesome . Now my main worry is whether i;m going to keep them or not  because i have the hd650 and i love them. With the pm3 i can use them both at home and on the go , whiles the hd650 remains as part of a desktop rig. Now i don't  want to keep two headphones . So i'm torn between the pm3 and the hd650. i like the size , look and feel of the pm3 and the sound of course,  but i think the hd650 sounds better. . Now i'm so confused...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back