Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 20, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,136 of 6,302
Be sure to check to make sure the volume limit isn't on in your iPhone's settings. On my iPhone 6s this was on by default. With that cranked up all the way my phone is plenty loud enough for me, but I don't listen super loud.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think US iPhones have a volume limit. I know some EU models do but not in the states. Even without it, my phone gets plenty loud enough for casual, or even some head-banging listening sessions but a little more (clean) volume never hurts for those times you really wanna shake your eardrums. 
L3000.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,137 of 6,302
I drive mine with an E11K on low gain and am extremely happy. more than loud enough for me.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3,138 of 6,302
As far as I'm aware, I don't think US iPhones have a volume limit. I know some EU models do but not in the states. Even without it, my phone gets plenty loud enough for casual, or even some head-banging listening sessions but a little more (clean) volume never hurts for those times you really wanna shake your eardrums. :L3000:

Mine does and I'm in the US. Not sure with what version of iOS it was introduced or if it's specific to the 6s since I didn't even look until I got the PM-3s, but it's under settings->music->volume limit.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #3,139 of 6,302
Mine does and I'm in the US. Not sure with what version of iOS it was introduced or if it's specific to the 6s since I didn't even look until I got the PM-3s, but it's under settings->music->volume limit.

I stand corrected! You are correct, Sir. 
Just checked mine and sure enough, there it is, although my volume limit has been off.

Just for reference sake...I have an iPhone 6 on 9.02 (jailbroken).

I suppose it's been there all along but I never remember turning it off, so, I guess my i6 has been rockin' properly all this time.

bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #3,140 of 6,302
I stand corrected! You are correct, Sir. 
Just checked mine and sure enough, there it is, although my volume limit has been off.

Just for reference sake...I have an iPhone 6 on 9.02 (jailbroken).

I suppose it's been there all along but I never remember turning it off, so, I guess my i6 has been rockin' properly all this time.

:bigsmile_face:

I haven't done this myself so I have no idea if this works, but since your phone is already jail broken you could also try this. I could imagine there are several ways this could be a bad idea:

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/how-to-significantly-change-the-volume-limit-on-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-all-firmware-versions/

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #3,141 of 6,302
Thanks for
I haven't done this myself so I have no idea if this works, but since your phone is already jail broken you could also try this. I could imagine there are several ways this could be a bad idea:

http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/how-to-significantly-change-the-volume-limit-on-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-all-firmware-versions/

Thanks for that tip!
I may give it a try at some point, in fact I'm pretty sure I've seen that tweak in the Cydia store.
In the meantime though, I've been using an app called "EQEverywhere" that I like very much. It was updated recently and works fantastic, although I do have to be careful to NOT adjust the pre-amp slider to the point of unwanted noise, but it is very effective, especially for fine tuning various headphones and IEM's. It allows for just the right sound signature of your preference.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #3,143 of 6,302
The E11 would likely be a good match. I know the E12 I had was too much power, but sonically they did well together so the E11 is reasonable to expect as also a good match. Certainly will have enough power for most people. I listen very loud myself, but even so I found with newer music my Blackberry Leap drove the PM3 pretty darn well.

Would an FiiO Q1 be adequate? I think it's $70 on Amazon. It's a DAC/amp.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #3,144 of 6,302
Would an FiiO Q1 be adequate? I think it's $70 on Amazon. It's a DAC/amp.

I suspect it would, but I have no direct experience with it I'm sorry. That said, why pay for a DAC section, or do you have a way to get the digital out of your phone? Are you sure the DAC in the iPhone can be improved on at the range the Q1 provides? I have no idea, but based on how good the sound from my Blackberry Leap is I'm convinced smartphones often have decent little DACs in them and don't iPhones in general have solid reputations for decent sound quality?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,145 of 6,302
I suspect it would, but I have no direct experience with it I'm sorry. That said, why pay for a DAC section, or do you have a way to get the digital out of your phone? Are you sure the DAC in the iPhone can be improved on at the range the Q1 provides? I have no idea, but based on how good the sound from my Blackberry Leap is I'm convinced smartphones often have decent little DACs in them and don't iPhones in general have solid reputations for decent sound quality?

Not sure, but if I go from the headphone port to the amp, aren't I essentially 'double-amping' as I'm using first the iPhone 6+ internal amp and then the external FiiO amp?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #3,146 of 6,302
Not sure, but if I go from the headphone port to the amp, aren't I essentially 'double-amping' as I'm using first the iPhone 6+ internal amp and then the external FiiO amp?

Well sort of, but double-amping is how most of us got started on head-fi gear.  Little CMOY amps in a tin were about the first personal audio improvements most of us had access to.

The thing is, there is nothing wrong (or right) or bad (or good) about double amping.  It's a meaningless concept.  The music you on your source material was passed through a pick-up on on instrument (an amp) to a long chain of mixers, compressors, amplifiers, and so-forth.  It may pass through dozens of amplification stages before it is distributed. On playback your signal may come out of an iPhone amp which probably has few amplification stages and from there you pass it to an AMP X or you could pass the digital signal to a DAC and from there to AMP Y.  You have no guarantee that AMP X has more (or less) amp stages than AMP Y.  And it doesn't matter because if amps are well-designed, made with good components, fed a signal within their design parameters,  and operating within their design ranges the amps will be transparent to the outcome -- except of course for amp specifically selected for their contouring or shaping of the output.  

So my question is what exactly is wrong with double amping?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,147 of 6,302

I don't think you're going to experience a big leap in sound quality with that Fiio. Probably just going to be a useless sidegrade a couple of months from now.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #3,148 of 6,302
^ I would have to agree, just an amp such as the E11 would make a bigger difference in as much as if you need more power you will have it. I know my good old Blackberry Leap has a true line out function with the headphone jack so when connected to an external amp it is just the line out signal. Got to love Blackberry, not to mention the Leap is rated and measured as one of the best sounding phones out there. It actually significantly outperforms the iPhone 5 and 6 in every important measure. The knock on it was not enough amplifier power, but still pretty solid.

Anyway, as also stated I don't think double amping is a huge concern so if you simply need more power I say just get something like the trusty E11 for a reasonable price and you will likely be quite pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back