Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 21, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #3,166 of 6,313
  I just said that both LG G4 and X3II are only transport for me. None of them would compete with AK100 and that's exactly why I am using the Chord Mojo DAC with both. How good is the Mojo? Well, let's just say that there's a lot of folks that stack it with AK120 and higher spec DAPs. So there...

I know about mojo  ... but I have had some strange result using the  Note 3 and the X3ii as pure transport, quality of sound like the one using PC as a transport was far ... while i found the note 4 good as pure tranport,  ... the strage was the X3ii, I found the same loudness effect when it play through  a desktop DAC ... (was the reason I sold)

Anyhow cables are .... damn important for headphones ... First I bought was for Sennh 650 changing the stock cable with an Oyaide .... another headphone after ...

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,168 of 6,313
Tyll just reviewed the new Momentum headphone. I overlaid the target curves on top of the best case scenario for it: wired and no noise cancellation
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentumWirelessWiredPassive.pdf

Here's the PM-3 again
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/OppoPM3.pdf

Based on the 300 Hz square wave response for the PM-3, I do find the PM-3 to sound sharp/edgey around the upper-midrange area. I'm used to this kind of sound based on my headphone history (SRH940, K 701, SR-207), but the PM-3 does seem to sound sharper than all of the above and I can definitely see why people would think it sounds sibilant and/or analytical. It gives the midrange a bit of forwardness from my experience.

Hello, i was close to purchasing the PM3 as looking for high quality hp's but am treble sensitive and your post makes me think twice. At around the same price range as PM3 can you please list good headphones. I listen to all music types and TV movies using quality source.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #3,169 of 6,313
We all have different ears - I find no sibilance what so ever, but then im not sure what people mean when they  use this word! I deal with occasional 'sibilance' issues in the studio due to less than perfect mic placement. Sibilance issues are not uncommon on Vinyl recordings
The PM3's are basically warm planers... They have changed a lot after 250 use though + I only listen to SACD / Vinyl rips etc etc. I dont listen to mp3's [on them] or the type of horribly compressed rubbish they produce these days :)

I dont want to sound snobby - just making the point that I choose the best possible quality source for listening and as such I havent experienced any particular issues with the PM3. If anything the treble is relaxed... a tad too much for my tastes
My tastes though are for bright, airy, detailed IEM's with a good bass....The PM3 are pretty much the opposite of this! - I love them for listening to and simply enjoying music...not so much for 'critical' detailed listening
In this way, they may suite you perfectly?
If you cant demo them, maybe get them from somewhere that accepts returns... They certainly have a 'character' which will suite some people more than others
but they are wondeful closed back headphones... you dont really get the full Planer Magnet benefits with them but...
:)

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,171 of 6,313
@Soundizer
 , I too am sensitive to treble and high spikes, and I have no issues with these at all. Im even using the Oppo HA2 with them which as a Sabre DAC which are known for what is called the Sabre Glare and I have no problems.

Hi Howdy, actually i was thinking about that combination (oppo pm3 with oppo ha2) and love the design. Would connect to my iPhone 6 plus via lightening. What is your source device and musuc player app?

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,172 of 6,313
We all have different ears - I find no sibilance what so ever, but then im not sure what people mean when they  use this word! I deal with occasional 'sibilance' issues in the studio due to less than perfect mic placement. Sibilance issues are not uncommon on Vinyl recordings
The PM3's are basically warm planers... They have changed a lot after 250 use though + I only listen to SACD / Vinyl rips etc etc. I dont listen to mp3's [on them] or the type of horribly compressed rubbish they produce these days :)

I dont want to sound snobby - just making the point that I choose the best possible quality source for listening and as such I havent experienced any particular issues with the PM3. If anything the treble is relaxed... a tad too much for my tastes
My tastes though are for bright, airy, detailed IEM's with a good bass....The PM3 are pretty much the opposite of this! - I love them for listening to and simply enjoying music...not so much for 'critical' detailed listening
In this way, they may suite you perfectly?
If you cant demo them, maybe get them from somewhere that accepts returns... They certainly have a 'character' which will suite some people more than others
but they are wondeful closed back headphones... you dont really get the full Planer Magnet benefits with them but...
:)

Many thanks Jon Parker for your input. What headphones do you use for critical listening?

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #3,174 of 6,313
Just got the PM3 yesterday and have been listening to them.
And like someone said here. It just sounds like honey dripping down from your ears and makes you just want to keep listening.
I hope in the next gen of the Oppo cans that they would take this signature and fully scale it in their flagship model.
Compared the PM1 and PM3 side by side and prefer the tuning of the PM3.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #3,175 of 6,313
Just got the PM3 yesterday and have been listening to them.
And like someone said here. It just sounds like honey dripping down from your ears and makes you just want to keep listening.
I hope in the next gen of the Oppo cans that they would take this signature and fully scale it in their flagship model.
Compared the PM1 and PM3 side by side and prefer the tuning of the PM3.

Hello and thank you for your positive post because I am thinking about purchasing them. I need high quality portable closed headphones that are not sibilant as am sensitive to treble. What amp do you use? I was thinking of buying the oppo ha2 together with the oppo pm3.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #3,176 of 6,313
Hello and thank you for your positive post because I am thinking about purchasing them. I need high quality portable closed headphones that are not sibilant as am sensitive to treble. What amp do you use? I was thinking of buying the oppo ha2 together with the oppo pm3.

I use them directly from my DAPs. When i am not walking or more stationary. I use thwn with my Mojo and they sound amazing.
Alot of reviewers revoewed the PM3 together with the HA2, as Oppo sends them together and they said that it matches the PM3 really well. Do try them out!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #3,177 of 6,313
Guys,

Anyone here have tried drive the PM3 with an ibasso amp (D14 preferably) OR with a neutral/transparent amp? How does that go? Does it make the trebel "not too roll-off"? *pardon the language

I use PM3 + iBasso dzero mk 2 as DAC+AMP. It goes as good as any other source. The rolled off treble is inherent of PM3 character, just look the FR graph on innerfidelity. Take it or leave it, is not going to change with a different dac or a cable. 

Quote:
I thought that the PM2 and PM3 wont cause any treble fatigue?

Hello, i was close to purchasing the PM3 as looking for high quality hp's but am treble sensitive and your post makes me think twice. At around the same price range as PM3 can you please list good headphones. I listen to all music types and TV movies using quality source.

If PM3 causes fatigue any headphone will cause it too because it is excepcionally smooth sounding. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #3,179 of 6,313
I use PM3 + iBasso dzero mk 2 as DAC+AMP. It goes as good as any other source. The rolled off treble is inherent of PM3 character, just look the FR graph on innerfidelity. Take it or leave it, is not going to change with a different dac or a cable. 

If PM3 causes fatigue any headphone will cause it too because it is excepcionally smooth sounding. 

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,180 of 6,313
H

Thanks!

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply. Apologies, but I do not know what rolled off treble means? My issue is sensitivity to "ss" sounds which causes actual pain too my ears and jaw and eyes. Not fatigue as I can listen for long hours, but not even for 2 minutes if sibilance is prominent. Please could you advise if possible. 

Much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back