Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 21, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,181 of 6,313
H

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply. Apologies, but I do not know what rolled off treble means? My issue is sensitivity to "ss" sounds which causes actual pain too my ears and jaw and eyes. Not fatigue as I can listen for long hours, but not even for 2 minutes if sibilance is prominent. Please could you advise if possible. 

Much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  

From my limited understanding, the meaning of rolled off is that the decay of the sound (in this case, the treble - or the "sss" for some people) is faster it's suppose to.. CMIIW
The sound is not as extended you might say..

It is all about preference

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #3,182 of 6,313
The only cons at present is a small scene respect an open headphone and I suspect the cable is to change ... same borings defect I having on the home loudspeaker solved with a new cable  

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,183 of 6,313
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2016-audezes-stylish-sine-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones#3QFMG2kLTKj8bwKq.97

A day after I purchase my PM3. I see this.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,185 of 6,313

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,186 of 6,313
  H

I use PM3 + iBasso dzero mk 2 as DAC+AMP. It goes as good as any other source. The rolled off treble is inherent of PM3 character, just look the FR graph on innerfidelity. Take it or leave it, is not going to change with a different dac or a cable. 

If PM3 causes fatigue any headphone will cause it too because it is excepcionally smooth sounding. 

Thanks!

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply. Apologies, but I do not know what rolled off treble means? My issue is sensitivity to "ss" sounds which causes actual pain too my ears and jaw and eyes. Not fatigue as I can listen for long hours, but not even for 2 minutes if sibilance is prominent. Please could you advise if possible. 

Much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  

I think you should see a doctor! That is not normal :frowning2:
Im no ear doctor but you may have some physical damage to a part of your ear?
Keep us informed if you do go have the issue checked.
I hope whatever causes the issue can be easily healed for you 
x

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,187 of 6,313
Just got the PM3 yesterday and have been listening to them.
And like someone said here. It just sounds like honey dripping down from your ears and makes you just want to keep listening.
I hope in the next gen of the Oppo cans that they would take this signature and fully scale it in their flagship model.
Compared the PM1 and PM3 side by side and prefer the tuning of the PM3.

You are not alone on this... I have the same opinion and one time I heard a reputable professional reviewer express the same.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,188 of 6,313

We all have different ears - I find no sibilance what so ever, but then im not sure what people mean when they  use this word! I deal with occasional 'sibilance' issues in the studio due to less than perfect mic placement. Sibilance issues are not uncommon on Vinyl recordings
The PM3's are basically warm planers... They have changed a lot after 250 use though + I only listen to SACD / Vinyl rips etc etc. I dont listen to mp3's [on them] or the type of horribly compressed rubbish they produce these days
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont want to sound snobby - just making the point that I choose the best possible quality source for listening and as such I havent experienced any particular issues with the PM3. If anything the treble is relaxed... a tad too much for my tastes
My tastes though are for bright, airy, detailed IEM's with a good bass....The PM3 are pretty much the opposite of this! - I love them for listening to and simply enjoying music...not so much for 'critical' detailed listening
In this way, they may suite you perfectly?
If you cant demo them, maybe get them from somewhere that accepts returns... They certainly have a 'character' which will suite some people more than others
but they are wondeful closed back headphones... you dont really get the full Planer Magnet benefits with them but...
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks Jon Parker for your input. What headphones do you use for critical listening?

:)  Well if I want to do some 'audiophile' listening: really getting into the details and resolution of exceptional audio I love the 3x Hybrid driver IEM Fidue A83 paired with the iBasso dx80. I also enjoy Armature only driver IEMs for a lighter detailed listen...eg: Ortofon EQ7 - 
etysmile.gif

But for just enjoying music...the PM3's I enjoy.- 
L3000.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #3,189 of 6,313

H

I use PM3 + iBasso dzero mk 2 as DAC+AMP. It goes as good as any other source. The rolled off treble is inherent of PM3 character, just look the FR graph on innerfidelity. Take it or leave it, is not going to change with a different dac or a cable. 

If PM3 causes fatigue any headphone will cause it too because it is excepcionally smooth sounding. 

Thanks!

Hello,

Much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  

I think you should see a doctor! That is not normal :frowning2:
Im no ear doctor but you may have some physical damage to a part of your ear?
Keep us informed if you do go have the issue checked.
I hope whatever causes the issue can be easily healed for you 
x

I previously owned the Senn HD600 and no problem at all. Also the B&W PM5 and ATH M50x, with no issues at all. It is only these headphones that are painful.
I tried Audeze EL8 in a hifi shop with no issues.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,191 of 6,313
Sorry, just to clarify the pain in my ears is as a result of listening to the Fidelio X2's.

Ahhh, That's weird. Do you think there was a fault in the headphones themselves?
or just some presice issue with your ears - Having a slight infection can cause certain frequencies to be painful? Using Headphones a lot does increase the risk of infections?

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,192 of 6,313
Sorry, just to clarify the pain in my ears is as a result of listening to the Fidelio X2's.

Ahhh, That's weird. Do you think there was a fault in the headphones themselves?
or just some presice issue with your ears - Having a slight infection can cause certain frequencies to be painful? Using Headphones a lot does increase the risk of infections?

Hello,

i do not know if there is a fault with the Fidelio X2, but have now come across other people posting on the web about Siblance issues with th Fidelio X2.

The charts/graphs by some engineers do reveal quite high peaks in 5khz and 9khz range. However strangely I have not come across anyone on head-fi posting siblance issues with them.

So i will probably return them to Amazon and then get the PM3's as they are supposed to be more flat on treble. I have not listened to them yet.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,193 of 6,313
Hello,

i do not know if there is a fault with the Fidelio X2, but have now come across other people posting on the web about Siblance issues with th Fidelio X2.

The charts/graphs by some engineers do reveal quite high peaks in 5khz and 9khz range. However strangely I have not come across anyone on head-fi posting siblance issues with them.

So i will probably return them to Amazon and then get the PM3's as they are supposed to be more flat on treble. I have not listened to them yet.

If you do get the PM3's it would be great to hear back from you how they suite you. [For me] they changed quite a lot after 200 hours use, the different frequencies sorted themselves out into where they should be....ermmm, anyway I would be very surprise if anyone had treble issues with the PM3 :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,194 of 6,313
  H

Hello,

Much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  

It mens among other things that vocal "SSS" sounds sound "sss" or even "zzz" and cymbals sounds back in the mix compared to brighter headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back