Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,087 of 6,302
Has anyone tried using the V-MODA BoomPro mic with PM-3? I might order it from Amazon but I do not know if its compatible. 
I like my pm-3 for gaming too. Only question is if the housing on the pm-3 is big enough to fit the headphone jack on the boom mic, it's possible but probably not that likely, though I'm sure there is an adapter to be had out there that would work. If you take a chance on it, post your results... :D

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,088 of 6,302
I'm waiting on line for the pm-3 loaner program, but I have the V-Moda boom mic, I'll be able to find out in a few weeks whenever my loaner set arrives if no one else buys them.

This is what intrigues me about the PM-3, it seems like a headphone I can use for multiple purposes.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2,090 of 6,302
Its moments like these I feel highly trusted as a Head-fi member .

So happens from two different members I've been loaned Oppo PM-3 and Oppo HA-2 for one week or two - they're both here at the same time. Big thanks to @d marc0 and @boneofimba for sending this out to me.

I'll try and chime in some more over the next week.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,091 of 6,302
  I just connected my PM-3s to my new Geek Pulse Infinity the PM-3s really came to live WOW they sounded amazing - more punchy and detailed sound.  I normally listen to them with the iphone 6, and occasionally I have connected them to a GO450.  They sounded good but with the Geek Pulse infinity on high gain, I have to say it brought the PM-3 to another level.  Highly recommended combination.

I concur, and would recommend not purchasing the PM-3 unless one plans on driving them for a proper source. When I drove them from my One Plus One phone, they sounded OK, but overall flat and uninvolving. They weren't bad, it's just that they didn't feel like a several hundred dollar headphone (and not that much of an upgrade over my Miles Davis Tribute IEMs). The iPhone 6 is probably better, but I doubt that much better. By no means is this a knock on the PM-3, it's just that they need more power than an IEM.

From my Dacport (1 ohm mod), they've come alive - dynamics, instrument separation, punch - all are better now. The Dacport is a modest portable DAC/amp so I don't think it takes much to get them to a level where they can shine.

At first, I felt like I was missing some upper frequency sparkle. Highlighting what others have said, the upper freq detail is still there, it's just harder to find. I think my ears have adjusted though, and the sound is overall pleasing and smooth up top. Combined with the portability, comfort and isolation, I feel I can wear/listen to the PM-3 all day. I won't be taking these things off to give my ears a break from any harshness/glare that I've experienced with many other set ups. Along my head-fi journey, I've come to appreciate headphone comfort and smoothness up top - what's the point of owning a good pair of cans if listening to them becomes unbearable in one way or another?

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,092 of 6,302

I just connected my PM-3s to my new Geek Pulse Infinity the PM-3s really came to live WOW they sounded amazing - more punchy and detailed sound.  I normally listen to them with the iphone 6, and occasionally I have connected them to a GO450.  They sounded good but with the Geek Pulse infinity on high gain, I have to say it brought the PM-3 to another level.  Highly recommended combination.

I concur, and would recommend not purchasing the PM-3 unless one plans on driving them for a proper source. When I drove them from my One Plus One phone, they sounded OK, but overall flat and uninvolving. They weren't bad, it's just that they didn't feel like a several hundred dollar headphone (and not that much of an upgrade over my Miles Davis Tribute IEMs). The iPhone 6 is probably better, but I doubt that much better. By no means is this a knock on the PM-3, it's just that they need more power than an IEM.

From my Dacport (1 ohm mod), they've come alive - dynamics, instrument separation, punch - all are better now. The Dacport is a modest portable DAC/amp so I don't think it takes much to get them to a level where they can shine.

At first, I felt like I was missing some upper frequency sparkle. Highlighting what others have said, the upper freq detail is still there, it's just harder to find. I think my ears have adjusted though, and the sound is overall pleasing and smooth up top. Combined with the portability, comfort and isolation, I feel I can wear/listen to the PM-3 all day. I won't be taking these things off to give my ears a break from any harshness/glare that I've experienced with many other set ups. Along my head-fi journey, I've come to appreciate headphone comfort and smoothness up top - what's the point of owning a good pair of cans if listening to them becomes unbearable in one way or another?

I disagree. I think they scale up nicely, but out of the iPhone, they still trounce every other closed back portable over ear at that price or below. They absolutely wreck the V-Moda M-100, Ultrasone Pro900, NAD Viso HP50, Beyer DT770 and Dennon AH-D2000 - with and without an amp, IMO.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,093 of 6,302
At some point, I'll be purchasing an ipod touch 6g and could then see how different it is compared to the one plus. For now, I stand by comments, at least with the one plus.

I think one would be doing a disservice to oneself without a better source/amp. The PM-3 may be better than those other cans directly out of an ipod, but not nearly as good as it is from a good source. If I were just driving them from my One Plus, I probably would've returned them and just kept using my Miles Davis Tribute IEMs. This is all in IMHO of course and it's certainly not a knock against the PM-3. The fact that they respond well to a better source/amp means that they are quality cans.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,095 of 6,302
Can anyone comment on the PM-3 plus the Chord Hugo please?
I am thinking of getting a PM-3 soon and so am wondering how they pair.
Thank you.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #2,096 of 6,302
i have the chord hugo and i have the PM-3 and an LCD-XC and an alpha prime and i used to have the fostex th-900...EVERYTHING sounds good with the Hugo.....the PM-3 is quite good and i use it to travel with,it isnt as good as the above mentioned but it is darn impressive for the price and size

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #2,097 of 6,302
I have  had the PM3 paired with an Oppo HA-2 for the last month and found them very lively and full. I use them for work in a cube farm, where their isolation comes into play. Meaning that it isolates me from all the Office Space personalities. They are very comfy, but do need to take them off every 3-4 hours of use. I recommend them to anyone who wants some planers for work.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #2,099 of 6,302
  I have  had the PM3 paired with an Oppo HA-2 for the last month and found them very lively and full. I use them for work in a cube farm, where their isolation comes into play. Meaning that it isolates me from all the Office Space personalities. They are very comfy, but do need to take them off every 3-4 hours of use. I recommend them to anyone who wants some planers for work.

Great photo and impressions! I've got a loaner pair coming in for a quick review for my Portable Headphone Comparative Thread this week...really looking forward to finally giving them a try!

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,100 of 6,302
  i have the chord hugo and i have the PM-3 and an LCD-XC and an alpha prime and i used to have the fostex th-900...EVERYTHING sounds good with the Hugo.....the PM-3 is quite good and i use it to travel with,it isnt as good as the above mentioned but it is darn impressive for the price and size

LCD-XC really isn't to my taste and Alpha Prime's are going out of production now so contenders for my next closed can is: PM-3, TH900, and whatever catches my attention and sounds good.
But do you think it has good synergy? Does it get boring or has loose bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back