Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,862 of 6,313
Obviously E12 = Explosive 12, and PM-3 = Portable Molotov-3.

/s

atsmile.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,863 of 6,313
I can see an Abyss being misconstrued as a homemade weapon of self-destruction, but not a set of exceedingly civilized-looking WHITE Oppos. You may have a beard, but you were not the crazy one here. 

(Caveat: I am assuming, since you didn't mention it, that you were not, at that time, in full-scale pirate regalia, brandishing a cutlass and dragging a full-size 8-pounder cannon with you.)

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,864 of 6,313
I can see an Abyss being misconstrued as a homemade weapon of self-destruction, but not a set of exceedingly civilized-looking WHITE Oppos. You may have a beard, but you were not the crazy one here. 

(Caveat: I am assuming, since you didn't mention it, that you were not, at that time, in full-scale pirate regalia, brandishing a cutlass and dragging a full-size 8-pounder cannon with you.)
no dressed in black pants, black suspenders, red t-shirt, a brown leather bag to carry my portable set up. And I was in a good mood listening to FLOOD by They Might Be Giants.

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,866 of 6,313
  If you are looking to save a little coin this summer, we have just started to sell refurbished PM-3 Planar Magnetic headphones for $319.00 (plus shipping) in Black and White.

Why don't you guys add the option of international shipping to your website so that we can buy directly from you by credit card or paypal? The dealer here (Istanbul, Turkey) asks for almost two times (770$) the price on your website. That's just absurd and completely unacceptable in this day and age. I know few local audiophiles who want to buy Oppo headphones but don't due to price difference between US and Europe. Is it really so hard to ship by UPS or DHL or whatever?

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,868 of 6,313
Between Oppo PM-3 and NAD VISO HP50, which has the better tonality, bass response (tight and impactful), comfort, and lack of sound leakage?

(I do have a portable amp, but I don't want to post which one (nor am I going to buy another) since a good headphone should sound good with any neutral/solid state amp.)

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #1,869 of 6,313
  Between Oppo PM-3 and NAD VISO HP50, which has the better tonality, bass response (tight and impactful), comfort, and lack of sound leakage?

(I do have a portable amp, but I don't want to post which one (nor am I going to buy another) since a good headphone should sound good with any neutral/solid state amp.)

Coming directly from the HP50 to the PM-3 I would say that the PM-3 definitely has more impactful and tighter bass, plus it has that wonderful bass tone and tunefulness that seems to be inherent to most, if not all, planar magnetic designs. Overall the tonality of the HP50 is very good so I would call this area basically a draw in all frequency ranges above the bass.

Some will tell you that comfort is a personal preference thing, maybe, but i find it hard to believe anyone would consider the HP50 to be a more comfortable headphone of the two. To me it is no contest. Just read through the threads and you will see that one of the main strengths of the PM-3  that virtually all users comment about is it's comfort. Not only that but I have found that the ear cushions on the PM-3 breathe better and therefor induce much less sweating in warm weather than the HP50, and the PM-3 definitely seals and isolates better than the HP50 on my head. Don't get me wrong the HP50 is a very good set of cans, I just think that the PM-3 is near or at the top of the heap for sub $500 closed portable headphones, so it's a difficult task for the HP50's to meet. The PM-3 also lists for almost a hundred dollars more than the HP50, so that could be a major consideration for many.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,871 of 6,313
  Coming directly from the HP50 to the PM-3 I would say that the PM-3 definitely has more impactful and tighter bass, plus it has that wonderful bass tone and tunefulness that seems to be inherent to most, if not all, planar magnetic designs. Overall the tonality of the HP50 is very good so I would call this area basically a draw in all frequency ranges above the bass.

Some will tell you that comfort is a personal preference thing, maybe, but i find it hard to believe anyone would consider the HP50 to be a more comfortable headphone of the two. To me it is no contest. Just read through the threads and you will see that one of the main strengths of the PM-3  that virtually all users comment about is it's comfort. Not only that but I have found that the ear cushions on the PM-3 breathe better and therefor induce much less sweating in warm weather than the HP50, and the PM-3 definitely seals and isolates better than the HP50 on my head. Don't get me wrong the HP50 is a very good set of cans, I just think that the PM-3 is near or at the top of the heap for sub $500 closed portable headphones, so it's a difficult task for the HP50's to meet. The PM-3 also lists for almost a hundred dollars more than the HP50, so that could be a major consideration for many.

That's very helpful, thanks.

Has anyone compared the PM-3 to the Fostex TH-600 and the Shure SRH-1540?

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #1,872 of 6,313
I dun find Nad resolving enough for classical music.:D

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,874 of 6,313
  We do not allow refurbished sales to be done internationally in the first place, and you can order new product on our website using an International Credit Card using the Offline Order Form.

Hmm, I did not know about that offline form. I'll look into it. Buying online would've been easier though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back