Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,531 of 6,302
Which, of course, begs the questions as to whether the LCD-3's are worth $2000. I can get a loaner pair of LCD-3's from The Cable Co and I can always send the PM-1's back to Oppo or AudioAdvisor if I don't like them.

That will be this fall's project.

If you can have both for in-home trials then you're good to go.

For me the PM-1 was way too dark and lacking in resolution, but you might enjoy them.

I've not yet heard an LCD-3 that could be described as bright/grainy/sizzly, but they do vary from unit to unit, although the comment above doesn't note the upstream gear and those are meet impressions also.

May 9, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,532 of 6,302
  Which, of course, begs the questions as to whether the LCD-3's are worth $2000. I can get a loaner pair of LCD-3's from The Cable Co and I can always send the PM-1's back to Oppo or AudioAdvisor if I don't like them.

That will be this fall's project.

personal opinion, so ymmv.

I don't think the LCD-3 is worth $2k. I think their buysonic sales price of ~$1.5k is more reasonable and indicative of their performance. The differences between the LCD-3 and the LCD-X is more a side-grade than an upgrade for me after I've spent extensive time doing side-by-side comparisons. I actually prefer the LCD-X's sonic performance over the LCD-3 (regardless of price point). Comparing the LCD-3 to other dynamic flagships at the $1.5k price point like the HD800 also revealed to me that the sound quality differences between models is much more subtle than people sometimes suggest on these forums. I can easily see different people picking the HD800 or LCD-X or LCD-3 based on sound signature preferences, rather than any real true technical advantages.

I also don't think the Oppo PM-1 is worth $1100 from a purely sonic performance perspective. You are paying quite a bit premium for the nicer materials used and extra earpad options. The less expensive PM-2 + the PM-1 earpads will give you the same sonic performance at a discounted price.

I was lucky enough to extensively demo, audition, and own a lot of different flagships. The key take away I've gotten from my experiences is that price tag definitely does not correlate to better technical performance or whether the pair of headphones will be suitable for your individual preferences. My advice would be to pick after doing side-by-side comparisons, not based on sticker price.

May 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,533 of 6,302
Why bring value for money into the equation? The person we're talking to didn't, as the LCD-3 was his original plan. This happens all the time at Head-Fi, where people presume to add a value proposition into their advice, when the person asking the question hasn't indicated in any way that this is a priority consideration.

I don't think the LCD-3 is worth the money either, but I do think it's much better than the PM-1, which is even worse value for money at its price point.

(If I were advising on value for money SQ I'd be recommending the 560/HE-6)

At least at the end of your post you mentioned the most important thing: trying them out with your own ears. Since they have the ability to do this they're all set.

May 9, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,534 of 6,302
Just curious why compare apples to oranges, I am sure there are better open and even closed headphones for the 399 price point than PM-3.   However, for a portable close headphone not a lot of options.  I chose closed portable headphones for a reason, noise isolation and privacy.  So I don't understand why people would consider this headphones if they are not going to use them outside and if so then compare it to other headphones that would serve that purpose.  If am going to be all over the map on headphone options I would never buy anything. Too many Options.  For home which I also require a closed headphone due to wife in the same room, thats why I chose the Alpha Dogs. I think people need to narrow their choices to something that makes sense. just my two cents.

May 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,535 of 6,302
  Just curious why compare apples to oranges, I am sure there are better open and even closed headphones for the 399 price point than PM-3.   However, for a portable close headphone not a lot of options.  I chose closed portable headphones for a reason, noise isolation and privacy.  So I don't understand why people would consider this headphones if they are not going to use them outside and if so then compare it to other headphones that would serve that purpose.  If am going to be all over the map on headphone options I would never buy anything. Too many Options.  For home which I also require a closed headphone due to wife in the same room, thats why I chose the Alpha Dogs. I think people need to narrow their choices to something that makes sense. just my two cents.

I also prefer closed headphones as I used to travel long distances and continue to buy them so I at least have the option to take them along if I wish.

Not sure how many other headphones at $399 sound better than the PM-3 but I decided to keep them because of their sound.  I think they're that good even for mainly home use. The portability is just a plus.

Besides, the only other closed planars are from Mr. Speakers or Audeze and those will cost a lot more than $399.

May 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,536 of 6,302
You are right that for closed planars the only other I know within that price range are the Mad Dogs, although somebody would look like an alien with those puppies outside the house. But if you add Dynamic open and closed like the Sennheisers HD 600, 650, Fidelio x2, Grados, AKGs, Sonys etc etc, the list can get really long in a hurry.  Thats why If it where me I would seriously look at the purpose of the headphone before starting to test all kids of headphones.  For me there was no doubt that I wanted something closed and portable.  

May 10, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,537 of 6,302
It's not just about using headphones out of the house. I use my Oppo PM-3 headphones at home with my hifi which is in the same room as a television so that I can enjoy music while my partner watches TV. Closed headphones allow both to enjoy privacy. Of the closed headphones I tried (at UK prices) the PM-3 sounded most appealing to my ears and are the most comfortable.

May 13, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,539 of 6,302
They don't steal any listening time from my LCD2.2s at home when listening to music. Although I do enjoy them when watching movies as they are very comfy.

May 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,544 of 6,302
Just ordered myself a pair in black, directly from Oppo. Can't wait to get them.

There's gonna be an 11 month old pair of black HP50's in excellent condition, with all the accessories and the original packaging coming up for sale soon!

P.S. I think my asking price will be the lowest I've seen for a used pair of HP50's yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back