Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 28, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #722 of 6,302
I couldn't believe it at first when I paired my PM-3 with my H10. It's like a different pair of headphones. Then I've connected it to my Lyr 2. The bottom end became so much alive. The 'aggresiveness' of the Lyr 2 in the mids and highs worked well with the PM-3. The 'tubeness' of the Lyr 2 came into life. It's like when I first connected my HD800 with Glenn's OTL amp - the different quality of tube amp became apparent. For me not better but different.

If you have a Lyr, try pairing it with PM-3...

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #723 of 6,302
My battery died on my AK120 on the way back from Philly tonight and i had my Ipod with me so i switched over to it and though the sound of the Ipod is not as sweet as the AK 120 The PM 3's still sounded great and at around a lil less than 3/4 volume was plenty loud to drown out the noise of the train.

Sidenote, on the way down the ppl behind me had a PONO player and were sharing tunes, BF/GF he had the momentum on ears and she had some ibuds, we chatted for a bit and they offered to let me listen to their PONO but i was about to get off the train...would have liked to geek out and switch it up for yucks...next time 
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #724 of 6,302
Don't know what people are talking about when talking about the clamping force. I have had it on for 5 hours straight and I do not feel much or any discomfort at all.

They're actually one of the most comfortable headphones I've had on for awhile. 

Well might have been better given that I've had the HE-500 and the DT-1350's before.

The HE-500's were heavy and the 1350's clamping force is ridiculous imo.

I think for most people these headphones would be really comfortable.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #726 of 6,302
Got one of these ordered, hopefully they will get here this week. These will be my first headphones over $100 so it is a big step up for me. My last headphones were a pair of Sennheiser 449s which I got as a gift. I'll only be using these a closed headphone at home (need isolation from my room mates) - not on the go. I've also ordered a NFB 15 for home usage. I like what I've been reading so far but I don't have much to compare to.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #727 of 6,302
  Got one of these ordered, hopefully they will get here this week. These will be my first headphones over $100 so it is a big step up for me. My last headphones were a pair of Sennheiser 449s which I got as a gift. I'll only be using these a closed headphone at home (need isolation from my room mates) - not on the go. I've also ordered a NFB 15 for home usage. I like what I've been reading so far but I don't have much to compare to.

There's no need to compare to anything. Just enjoy! Please share your impressions when you received your rig.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #728 of 6,302
Just got mine. Hooked up to my AK240 with vorzuge it sounded really good but hooked up to my Hugo using my AK240 is just awesome. Have to say the best portable headphone setup I've ever had. Now going to sell my ED8 as the pm3 is better and more comfortable for me. The slam of the bass with the hugo is just crazy and the detail I'm hearing is wow! Can't believe the price. Really worth it but let it burn it first. At least 48 hours before judging.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #729 of 6,302
Just got mine. Hooked up to my AK240 with vorzuge it sounded really good but hooked up to my Hugo using my AK240 is just awesome. Have to say the best portable headphone setup I've ever had. Now going to sell my ED8 as the pm3 is better and more comfortable for me. The slam of the bass with the hugo is just crazy and the detail I'm hearing is wow! Can't believe the price. Really worth it but let it burn it first. At least 48 hours before judging.

Electronic, dance, trance... How are they for these?

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #731 of 6,302
  Electronic, dance, trance... How are they for these?

i love edm, trance, electronic! the pm3s (& othros in general except the he-560 that is tuned a bit brighter in comparison) work amazingly at these genres!!

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #732 of 6,302
  Don't know what people are talking about when talking about the clamping force. I have had it on for 5 hours straight and I do not feel much or any discomfort at all.

They're actually one of the most comfortable headphones I've had on for awhile. 

Well might have been better given that I've had the HE-500 and the DT-1350's before.

The HE-500's were heavy and the 1350's clamping force is ridiculous imo.

I think for most people these headphones would be really comfortable.

Different fit for different folks.

Some feel its just a tad too tight around the sides but ok to very good everywhere else (even a couple "official" reviews mentioned the clamp force).

Oppo admits (ignore what the specs say) they increased clamping on the PM-3 due to it's intended portability. Guess it wouldn't be good having the PM-3 shift around while using them on-the-go or worse, falling off.

On the flipside, I believe 1 or 2 people mentioned discomfort from the headband (pressure not padding), so comfort is relative. Seems Oppo did their best to appease as many as possible. I'm able to wear my PM-3 with the cups fully extended. A bit loose up top but that's ok; its worth it for their sound.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #733 of 6,302

I also am using a Vorzuge Duo and Ed 8's and was hoping the Oppo's would be better . In comparison to the Ed 8 how is the bass ? Sometimes the Ed 8's seem unengaging to me but the comfort has always been great

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #734 of 6,302

I also am using a Vorzuge Duo and Ed 8's and was hoping the Oppo's would be better . In comparison to the Ed 8 how is the bass ? Sometimes the Ed 8's seem unengaging to me but the comfort has always been great

with the duo I have to sometimes turn the bass knob on to get some low down on the ED8, sometimes this causes a lot of distorted bass. Don't get that with the Oppo.

I would say the soundstage is a little bit better on the ED8 but not much to justify the price difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back