Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 18, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #301 of 6,302
  My PM-3 is too new to report full impressions, but these are some preliminary thoughts.  I've had it burning in via my Meridian Explorer.  Sounds very similar to the PM-1, of course.  The gorgeous midrange is clear, well-defined, and easy to listen to.  Beguiling, in fact.  Just like the PM-1.  The bass is improving in definition as it burns in.  Clear top end, not fatiguing at all.   The soundstage is typical of excellent closed cans; it isn't perceived to extend beyond the earpieces, but the placement of instruments and voices is focused, well-defined, and easily pictured.  Great isolation.  Very comfortable, but a bit tight (which can be remedied).  And excellent build quality and materials for this price-point (actually, better than many that cost double the price).  The little details of the build are reminiscent of the care Oppo put into the PM-1.

For the price, this is a must-listen-to closed can.  Especially if you like what planars can do.

How does it compare to your M500s?

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #302 of 6,302

How does it compare to your M500s?

I'll have to report back later, after the PM-3 is burned in and I have the opportunity to compare the two from the same DAC/amp.  

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #303 of 6,302
That no longer is necessary. I picked up the PM-3 at lunch. Although, I do look forward to your impressions after some time with them. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #304 of 6,302
For the guys who have these already, can I get some examples of other headphones that sound similar to the pm-3?

thanks...

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #305 of 6,302
  That's no longer is necessary. I picked up the PM-3 at lunch. Although, I do look forward to your impressions after some time with them. 

Did you demo them in Mountain View then?  Or just took a chance?  Looking forward to your impressions.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #308 of 6,302
For me they were the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Sound, I am already going to buy them again. I had the t51i, M2 wired, and pm-3 for comparisons. The pm-3 have a smooth silky presence that just pours hot gooey honey directly into your ears.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #309 of 6,302
For me they were the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Sound, I am already going to buy them again. I had the t51i, M2 wired, and pm-3 for comparisons. The pm-3 have a smooth silky presence that just pours hot gooey honey directly into your ears.

Thanks for the comparative impressions on the different set of cans. I definitely plan on getting a pair of pm-3's sometime soon.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #311 of 6,302
Interest in these has dredged me back to Head-Fi after many years of absence. I recently lost my pair of Momentum's on a drunken night out :frowning2: so I'm looking for a replacement portable can.

Demo'ed the PM-3 recently at Quality Hifi in Sydney, directly out of my Galaxy Note 3 playing FLAC, and I can tell they have potential. Very fast and resolving, good midbass (but slightly lacking in deep bass), present mids and a decent amount of treble sparkle. Reminds me a bit of the Ultrasone Pro750, but faster. It lacks some of the Sennheiser "veil" I've become accustomed to (normally used as a negative term, but I find it quite appealing from an ease-of-listening perspective), but that may just be their additional resolution showing up tonal deficiencies in the Note 3 as a source.

Holding off on purchasing them for now as Quality Hifi only have the 3m desktop cable available, once the 1.2m Android cable comes in I'll probably grab a pair. Also keen to try out the HA-2.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #313 of 6,302
  I have to admit, I am getting use to the sound of the PM-3s and I am really enjoying them, the detailed relaxed sound is really nice. 

Don't underestimate the power of brain-burn-in! Takes time adjusting to a new pair of headphones, unless you're going from a really crappy pair to an excellent one the initial reaction will usually be tainted by unfamiliarity. Give it a week or two at home and then you'll know if it'll be staying around long-term or not.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #314 of 6,302
I was using this cable with my M100 which works well with my PM-3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-5mm-3Pole-Mini-Stereo-Male-Gold-Jack-Plug-Audio-Headphone-Car-Aux-Cable-/281199686467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4178ceb343

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #315 of 6,302
Did you demo them in Mountain View then?  Or just took a chance?  Looking forward to your impressions.

Yes, really cool unassuming office. He offered me a Listen but I didn't bother. I was confidant that they were good, and I was right. This thread makes a lot more sense now.

I like Oppo. Cool people, reasonable prices and a 30 day return no restocking fee policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back