Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #121 of 6,302

Trying to nudge me over to the "gotta buy more Oppo" group?  
wink_face.gif

How am I doing?  Waiting for FedEx to deliver the PM-3s any minute now, I think I hear the truck in the distance.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #124 of 6,302

How am I doing?  Waiting for FedEx to deliver the PM-3s any minute now, I think I hear the truck in the distance.

Bookmarked and ready to go as soon as you give the word.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #125 of 6,302
I unboxed the PM-3s, listened to Tidal through my macbook pro.  Then listened to Tidal through HA-1 using both PM-1s & PM-3s.  I need a lot more time comparing but first impressions, I don't hear that much difference between the two headphones.  The PM-3s are easily the best sounding and most comfortable portable headphones I have ever reviewed.  Oppo has hit another out of the ballpark  IMHO.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #127 of 6,302
  I unboxed the PM-3s, listened to Tidal through my macbook pro.  Then listened to Tidal through HA-1 using both PM-1s & PM-3s.  I need a lot more time comparing but first impressions, I don't hear that much difference between the two headphones.  The PM-3s are easily the best sounding and most comfortable portable headphones I have ever reviewed.  Oppo has hit another out of the ballpark  IMHO.

How do you compare the pm-3 against the hd650? I realize that yes, that are very different. But I'm most curious about the mids. 

thanks!!

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #128 of 6,302
If anyone can comment on isolation from external noise (Ideally a plane...) it would be much appreciated!

Hoping these isolate well enough that I can replace my bose QC25 with the PM-3.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #129 of 6,302
If anyone can comment on isolation from external noise (Ideally a plane...) it would be much appreciated!

It's about average for a portable headphone, maybe slightly more noise isolation. I think it would be impossible to beat the QC series' active noise canceling technology with passive noise isolation though. The closest headphone I've touched to come close to it was the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog....but that thing is in no way shape or form portable. XD

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #130 of 6,302

The passive noise isolation is quite good. Won't be travelling on a plane until early May, but I just ran a test for you playing a youtube track of the airplane engine from my Galaxy S5 at full volume (link). When the phone is right next to me with engine noise at full volume, you can barely hear sound at all while playing music at normal listening levels. Without music playing with the phone right next to me, the engine noise decreased by at least 30-50%. Without music with the phone 10 feet away, the engine noise decreased by more than 50%. With the phone at a 10 feet distance, you cannot hear the engine noise at all while playing music at normal listening volumes.

I am not sure how accurate this noise isolation test is and I am not sure whether a real engine will be even louder.

I imagine that the Bose QC25's active noise cancelling feature will definitely remove even more engine noise, but for just passive isolation, these headphones do a very good job at external noise isolation.

edit: For example, if I am wearing these headphones listening to music at normal volumes in the dining room, I can hardily hear the venting and cooking sounds at all from the kitchen that is approximately 15 ft away from me.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #132 of 6,302
So 24 hours in and these still amaze me, everything is so crisp and clear. Listened to jazz, rock, edm, and country. Everything just sound great. Comfort is phenomenal for me, had them on for 3 hours straight and no discomfort or sweaty ears. Reminds me of when I started listening to my z7, everything just falls into place. Will compare to said z7, m2, and other closed portables soon.

Jim

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #133 of 6,302

Hi avraham - thanks for the comparison between the 2. I actually compared the PM-2 (which I believe is near identical to the PM-1) to the PM-3 and found a significant difference, especially in the bass area. I used my trusted Centrance HiFi M8 as DAC/amp with my iPhone along with TIDAL and Spotify for streaming.

For example, when I played Bravado by Rush, the bass sounded wonderful on the PM-3. However, when I listened to the song using PM-2, there was a marked improvement in the overall sound, especially in the bass area. The bass was a lot more refined, clear, articulate compared to the PM-3. It was also a lot more airy vs. the PM-3. PM-3 was in no means a slouch in this department, but the PM-2 just knocked this sound out of the park.

Listening to Take That - the bass drum lows was a lot more prominent and articulate on the PM-2 vs. the PM-3. In summary, while the PM-3 was very good on it's own, I thought it was not close to the PM-2 in sound quality. Of course this is my opinion so I'm not saying that I don't agree with your above statement.

Personally, I was really hoping for PM-3 to be close to the PM-2, so that I could swap the PM-2 for the new Audeze EL-8 and purchase the PM-3 as a replacement. After hearing both (PM-3 and EL-8), I've decided, at least for now, to stick with the PM-2.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #134 of 6,302

Hi avraham - thanks for the comparison between the 2. I actually compared the PM-2 (which I believe is near identical to the PM-1) to the PM-3 and found a significant difference, especially in the bass area. I used my trusted Centrance HiFi M8 as DAC/amp with my iPhone along with TIDAL and Spotify for streaming.

For example, when I played Bravado by Rush, the bass sounded wonderful on the PM-3. However, when I listened to the song using PM-2, there was a marked improvement in the overall sound, especially in the bass area. The bass was a lot more refined, clear, articulate compared to the PM-3. It was also a lot more airy vs. the PM-3. PM-3 was in no means a slouch in this department, but the PM-2 just knocked this sound out of the park.

Listening to Take That - the bass drum lows was a lot more prominent and articulate on the PM-2 vs. the PM-3. In summary, while the PM-3 was very good on it's own, I thought it was not close to the PM-2 in sound quality. Of course this is my opinion so I'm not saying that I don't agree with your above statement.

Personally, I was really hoping for PM-3 to be close to the PM-2, so that I could swap the PM-2 for the new Audeze EL-8 and purchase the PM-3 as a replacement. After hearing both (PM-3 and EL-8), I've decided, at least for now, to stick with the PM-2.

I agree that the PM-3 doesn't have the depth to the bass as much as the PM-1 but I am not going to use the PM-3 as my primary headphone.  The PM-3 is going to used as the portable headphone for my iPhone and iPad.  I have downloaded the VLC app for iOS on my iPhone and I can playback 24/96 hi-rez FLAC files.  You can't download a lot of the FLAC files due to storage space but they are easy to swap out.  Also I will be 73 in a couple of months so I am pretty sure the ears are not as golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back